Fastest Guitarist

• Sloppy guitarists can still be brilliant. look at Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Frank Zappa

This space for sale
    • WDave40 said...
    • User
    • 29 Oct 2006, 10:57
    But sloppy isn't good when you are trying to portray yourself as a guitar virtuoso who plays extremely fast all the time. I agree that it can be good, but the guitarists you mentioned aren't famous for their technical prowess in particular.

• ok, i misunderstood the context of that post

This space for sale
    • WDave40 said...
    • User
    • 29 Oct 2006, 17:28
    You mentioned great players being sloppy, and I said that while I agree that those players are great and a lot of sloppy players are, in bands like dragonforce where the guitarists are supposed to be virtuosos, sloppyness is not good.

• OmenSix said...
    • User
    • 5 Nov 2006, 05:15
    Herman Li and Sam Totman are sloppy in that video, but I have seen them live twice and hardly noticed a hitch in any of the solos they played. Sounded just like it did on the album. They seem to get a horrible rep from that one video. I still think consistency with the speed that they play deserves at least an honorable mention.

Your Biggest Fan,
    Chris/toph
    • WDave40 said...
    • User
    • 5 Nov 2006, 19:29
    Well, I haven't seen them live or on anything that was live apart from that vid, so I can't really comment on their live performances :P :P

• VELD said...
    • User
    • 10 Nov 2006, 01:27
    Francesco Fareri & Rusty Cooley, but Cooley is more tecnical guitarist i think

• OmenSix said...
    • User
    • 10 Nov 2006, 20:23
    Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick of Nevermore are also very fast guitarists.

Your Biggest Fan,
    Chris/toph
  • I guess it's an age thing ..but in MY day (sic)....

.....Ten Years After's guitarist Alvin Lee was famous (infamous?)for being the fastest guitarist around - (and in the late 60's early 70's these things really mattered!)
    ..and mebbe's this group doesn't count jazz players (tell me men!) but surely John Mclaughlin is/was fairly lightning? cock an ear to any Mahavishnu Orchestra album or his later solo staff ...although much of his later output was more often than not acoustic based.

Gabba Gabba Hey!
  • Shawn Lane

I am amazed at how nobody has mentioned Shawn Lane yet. I've never seen anybody playing faster than this guy. Do some youtube searches so you guys can see/hear what I am talking about (in case you don't know him).

• Yngwie and Micheal Angelo Batio

• Buckethead and Paul Gilbert are great too

• David Gilmour)))

• the fastest???? Michael Angelo Batio.... Perhaps... But is it really all about speed??? When factoring Technique, melody, feeling, creativity in, if this then slides on that slippery slope and becomes the venue for "favorite"

That being said. REMEMBER: in the immortal words of Lois Lane.... "faster than a speeding bullet is NOT always a good thing"... LOL

CHEERS! 'ting~!'
  • Micheal Angelo, John Petrucci , Steve Vai and my favorite mr. Buckethead (really fast solo in track "Jump Man" and cause his 4-fingers tapping)

GreAt /\/\/\/\/\ ExpEriMenTal /\/\/\/\/\/\ mUsiC
  • The fastest- not necessarily the best tho:

Tiago Della Vega
    NAMM 2011

Found an interesting note on guitarplayer:
    He plays a maximum of 21.3 notes per second. The piece is comprised of 4 notes per beat X 320 divided by 60 seconds = notes per second. That would be 21.3 notes per second at any given time. Monster Guitarist Randall Padilla plays at 23.5 notes per second. Buzz on the web says he will post 26 notes per second on 4th of July. ??? Nice video, but I would say 23.5 notes per second is literally faster.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-D1pOwFspU&fmt=18

• I would say Paul Gilbert

• Tiago Della Vega for sure
    Brazillian pride! hahaha

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2011, 08:07
    id say chris impellitteri.
    but probably, michael angelo batio > chris impellitteri > paul gilbert > yngwie > petrucci > francesco fareri > vai

italian pride!!!!

• Skiye said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 22 Dec 2011, 01:13
    jetjohnson said:

I guess it's an age thing ..but in MY day (sic)....

.....Ten Years After's guitarist Alvin Lee was famous (infamous?)for being the fastest guitarist around - (and in the late 60's early 70's these things really mattered!)
    ..and mebbe's this group doesn't count jazz players (tell me men!) but surely John Mclaughlin is/was fairly lightning? cock an ear to any Mahavishnu Orchestra album or his later solo staff ...although much of his later output was more often than not acoustic based.

acoustic or not, mclaughlin is my #1 fav - inner mounting flame changed my life haha. buckethead can shred like hell too

• niQboy said...
    • User
    • 13 Feb 2012, 12:27
    The fastest guitarist ever was probably Shawn Lane (RIP) or John Petrucci, but speed in itself is a really moot argument. At the end of the day, it's about music and what it sounds like and if you play without feeling, melody and creativity, it makes you a really shallow guitarist. Anyone can learn scale shapes and play chromatic patterns lightning fast, given they practice enough, but there's only few naturally talented guitarists who have grasped the idea of melodic and fast elements so well, that they've become true artisans in their craft, absolute awe-inspiring performers who have perfect knowledge of their instrument.

One of them, is Guthrie Govan.

In my opinion, the best guitarist on the planet.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 23 Apr 2012, 21:35
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.