• esc4p1st said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 14 Apr 2008, 22:31

Lyrics

I have written a script that adds a panel with song lyrics to Last.fm track pages. The lyrics are retrieved from LyricWiki.org.

View at UserScripts

Features:
    - Configurable positioning of the panel
    - Collapsing/expanding of the panel
    - Delayed loading of lyrics when collapsed

Edited by esc4p1st on 21 Jul 2008, 14:24
    • Lowest said...
    • User
    • 15 Apr 2008, 19:42
    Wow that's a really cool script! Awesome how you can move it about too. Nice!

• Thanks! Will get this added soon. :)

• esc4p1st said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 17 Apr 2008, 14:21
    I factored out the panel positioning to a separate object, in case any other track page scripts has any use for it.

• Finally added to the overview. Busy, whew! Thanks for the script. :)

• This is one of the best scripts ever written!

Thanks!

• Totally agreed. :)

• Elan11 said...
    • User
    • 9 May 2008, 15:58
    very nice! well done

I wonder if this can be retrofitted for a more metallic use.. (searching metal-archives and stuff)

We rode on the winds of the Rising Storm
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder
    We danced among the lightning bolts
    And tore the world asunder
    • esc4p1st said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 10 May 2008, 12:28
    You could easily modify the loadContent and handleResponse functions to retrieve the lyrics from another location, or you could just add the lyrics to LyricWiki.

• esc4p1st said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 21 Jul 2008, 14:34

An updated version for the new site

The script now works with the new version of Last.fm, and I have updated the screenshot to reflect the new look.

For consistency with the rest of the site, I moved the controls for collapsing and moving the lyrics panel to a drop-down menu. Fellow developers may be interested to know that both the menu and the panel positioner are separate classes, for you to be able to reuse them more easily.

However, the menu has a bug that I haven't been able to correct: any part of it that outgrows its column is displayed behind other elements. The problem is barely noticeable in this script, since I kept the names of menu items short, but other script-writers may not be able to. I've experimented with the z-index, overflow and display properties of the menu list, but haven't had any success with it yet. So if anyone knows how to resolve this issue, please let me know.

• Awesome! Very nicely done. I'll add this soon, thanks. :)

• maz35 said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2008, 15:10
    great work on the update, looks great!

• RoBz88 said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2008, 15:38
    Great Job :) Looks great.

• Thanks for the update!

• wow - this one rocks :-)

• Doh. I totally forgot to release this! I'll add this one tomorrow. Sorry about that esc4p1st and thanks for reminding me. :)

• This is added now. Sorry again!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Jul 2008, 21:02
    This script freaking ROCKS!!!

• Picnick said...
    • User
    • 28 Jul 2008, 05:35
    This script is indeed brilliant. Now for something that removes the activity feed from track pages? :)

• Picnick said:
    This script is indeed brilliant. Now for something that removes the activity feed from track pages? :)

Haven't you installed one of the update notification scripts? I just announced Hide Activity Box a day or so ago. Get it from the overview.

• Picnick said...
    • User
    • 28 Jul 2008, 08:53

Yes but no but yes but no.

1. Hide Activity Box only works on profile pages, not track or artist pages.

2. Hide Activity Box doesn't actually hide the activity box, it just removes the information from it. The box itself is still there.

3. Hide Activity Box adds Hide / Show-buttons (or in one case, a Hide /%nbsp; Show-button) to stuff I have no interest in hiding.

So yes, I did get it. It's a nifty script, but it's not what I'm looking for.

• You might want to post in the script's thread and talk to snyde1 about what you'd like it to do. Obviously, this isn't the thread. ;)

• Bloopy said...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 11 Aug 2008, 02:50
    Lyrics script truncates lyrics at 4096 characters, bug? Example: Crazy Rap.

• esc4p1st said...
    • Event Moderator
    • 11 Aug 2008, 08:05
    Yes. JavaScript's DOMParser apparently splits text into nodes of 4096 characters each. I've updated the script with the required additional line.

• Elan11 said...
    • User
    • 11 Sep 2008, 09:09
    am I blind, or is this not working anymore?

We rode on the winds of the Rising Storm
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder
    We danced among the lightning bolts
    And tore the world asunder
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.