Top Ten Grateful Dead Songs

• Top Ten Grateful Dead Songs

Sorry but i just joined this group, and either its really lame, or it just needs a topic

So I've desided to post what I think are the top ten Grateful Dead songs, see what you think...

1.) St. Stephen
    2.) Cosmic Charlie
    3.) Box Of Rain
    4.) Sugar Magnolia
    5.) China Cat Sunflower
    6.) The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) [at least this is my opinion]
    7.) The Music Never Stopped
    8.) Hell In A Bucket
    9.) Truckin'
    10.) Ripple

p.s. these are in no particular order because its my personal opinion that you can't truthfully rank Grateful Dead songs

• Yeah, you're right

shame no-one seems very chatty here; on the other hand, is there anything original to say, and indeed, anything worth saying. One of the few, and they are very few, negatives about this band is the amount of crap committed to print by 'important' devotees. I know the music is ace, Nomad is right to say you can't rank the songs - blimey, do you just stick to originals or include covers as well, because they made some of those their own! So, apart from the GD themselves, share on the wider front - if we both like GD, then what else might we introduce one another to? Me, love UK psychedelia/R&B/space rock - Small Faces through to Hawkwind and Pink Fairies, and all the baggage around all those acts. Mick Farren for Prime Minister!

LOL 2 U ALL

• Top 10

As far as I'm concerned, these are the top 10 dead songs:

1)Dark Star (1968's are best)
    2)St. Stephen
    3)Eyes of the World
    4)Morning Dew
    5)China Cat Sunflower
    6)New Speedway Boogie
    9)Sugar Magnolia
    10)Easy Wind

I don't know if "I Know You Rider" and "Deep Elem Blues" count, but those are up there as well.

Also, check out a late 60's Dark Star. It might change your life.

• my friend

A great friend of mine just went to see Dark Star Orchestra twice. I was about to see them at the All Good Festival '05 but those bastards drove us out with their bullshit talk of "Extremely Dangerous Rain." Needless to say that night it was starry and pretty damn warm too. But some consuled my by saying I might as well just stick a Grateful Dead tape in and listen to them then to see DSO play live. Of course my friend loved it but that might have been because of the presence of his favorite mind-altering drugs. I was wonderin' what your opinions are on this Grateful Dead cover band?

• my top 10

1. Dark Star (grateful dead movie soundtrack '73 favorite)
    2. Eyes of the World
    3. Wharf Rat (skull and roses)
    4. Box of Rain
    5. China Cat/I Know You Rider jams
    6. Terrapin Station
    7. Morning Dew
    8. Truckin
    9. He's Gone (europe 72)
    10. The Eleven

• dark star orchestra

d.s.o are comin to atlanta (variety playhouse) the 17th and 18th so im gonna go check them out, i havnt heard much about them though

• All about

1. Morning Dew 77-05-08 (This one is mind blowing, you should all download it)
    2. China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider 71-05-21
    3. Going Down the Road Feeling Bad
    4. Brown Eyed Women
    5. Peggy-O
    6. Saint Stephen
    7. Last Lonely Eagle (NRotPS)
    8. Scarlet > Fire
    9. Bertha
    10. Franklin's Tower

• Re: my friend

Quoth nomad1928:
    A great friend of mine just went to see Dark Star Orchestra twice. I was about to see them at the All Good Festival '05 but those bastards drove us out with their bullshit talk of "Extremely Dangerous Rain." Needless to say that night it was starry and pretty damn warm too. But some consuled my by saying I might as well just stick a Grateful Dead tape in and listen to them then to see DSO play live. Of course my friend loved it but that might have been because of the presence of his favorite mind-altering drugs. I was wonderin' what your opinions are on this Grateful Dead cover band?

I too missed out on the DSO at Allgood 05. I wasn't too bent out of shape about it though--I had had enough of that place and it's bad vibe and was happy to get on the road.

As for my top ten...

1. Help On The Way/Slipknot!/Franklin's Tower
    2. Terrapin Station

surely this can be disputed, but I feel that these are prime examples of the band at it's creative pinnacle, as far as songwriting and composition are concerned.

3. Dark Star/St. Stephen/The Eleven

as it has been mentioned, this particular song cycle from the late 60's (my favorites are from the Fillmore West run of Feb-March 1969) exemplifies the band's improvisational ability.

4. Unbroken Chain

simply stunning. It's a shame they didn't get around to playing Phil's beautiful piece until the last tour!

5. Ripple

in particular, the recording on American Beauty captures the spirit of what this band is all about.

6. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleoo

a personal favorite!

7. Morning Dew
    8. Eyes of the World

9. So Many Roads

If you haven't heard this from the last show 1995.07.09...granted, the rest of the show is pretty sloppy, but Jerry sings his heart out here...very moving and still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

10. Touch of Grey

"The Grateful Dead wrote a hit!"

that's my 8.5 cents.

• top ten list

i think these 10 song are the best grateful songs :D

box of rain
    uncel john's band
    chinacat sun flower
    sugar magnolia
    casey jones
    One More Saturday Night
    the golden road
    New, New Minglewood Blues

these songs are in a random order, i dont know whos the best one, mabye sugar magnolia :D

• AJ1025 said...
    • User
    • 21 Feb 2006, 15:44

What about Ramble on Rose?????

How can Ramble on Rose not be considered one of the best dead songs?? On The Closing of Winterland every time I listen to ramble on rose it sends chills all throughout my body, not bad chills, those really good ones. The best way to describe is that my brain and my body are intensely fucking the guitar solos, Donna’s powerful voice when she explodes without warning, Jerry’s perfect voice and those bass riffs that send those deep vibrations throughout my home. Does anyone else feel this way??? Or am I some kind of freak??

• lunch9 said...
    • User
    • 22 Feb 2006, 00:26
    In no real order, mine go something like this:

China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider
    The Other One
    Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain
    Sugar Magnolia
    Eyes of the World
    Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven
    Samson and Delilah
    Uncle John's Band
    Terrapin Station

It's hard to chose though.

• Re: Top Ten Grateful Dead Songs

1. Alligator (Anthem Of The Sun)
    2. Born Cross Eyed (1968-02.04 The Eureka Municipal Auditorium)
    3. New Speedway Boogie (1970-06.27 Festival Express)
    4. Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain (1984-12.31 San Francisco Civic Auditorium)
    5. Casey Jones (1969-06.27 Veterans Auditorium, San Francisco) - Very early version of the song and played with a slight variation.
    6. St. Stephen > Not Fade Away > St. Stephen (1977-05.08, Cornell University) -- sorry about the obvious
    7. Loose Lucy (1990-03.14 Capital Center, Maryland) - for personal reasons...
    8. Hard To Handle (1971-08.06 Hollywood Palladium)
    9. Bird Song (1981-03.07 University of Maryland)
    10. Cumberland Blues (1987-04.06 Meadowlands, NJ)

Of course there are literally hundreds of others, but these ten remain to be my all time favorites!

• 1. St. Stephen
    2. Eyes of the World
    3. Loser
    4. When I paint my masterpiece
    5. Terrapin Station
    6. Ripple
    7. The Other One
    8. The Music Never Stopped
    9. China Cat->Rider
    10. Easy Wind

• I forgot to give honorable mentions to:

The Lager Song
    Big Boy Pete
    The Barbed Wire Whipping Party

Underrated classics!

• stevgex said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2006, 03:07

My favorites

In no particular order:

1) St.Stephen (my namesake)
    2) Ramble on Rose (for AJ1025) lol
    3) The Other One
    4) Mississippi Half Step (the opener of my first show)
    5) Jack Straw
    6) The Wheel
    7) Dark Star
    8) Ripple (a simple song that is as close magic as they come)
    9) Scarlet Begonias
    10) Sugar Magnolia

Too bad I can only pick 10.

• AJ1025 said...
    • User
    • 24 Feb 2006, 21:17

well fuck you guys then

how can you not consider ramble on rose???

• stevgex said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2006, 02:20

Hey AJ1025 I Picked it.

My pick for Ramble on Rose was legit. It's all kinds of laid back cool to me.

• Huron34 said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2006, 13:15
    Glad to see someone mentioned Cosmic Charlie, as it is an extremely awesome and extremely underrated Dead Song. Also glad to see Golden Road, as it is unbelievably bad ass. To the person who mentioned the Dark Star from the Grateful Dead Movie, that was late 1974, not 1973. Also, Brokedown Palace needs to be mentioned somewhere in here as it is an incredible song that had to be written by someone, and if it wasnt the Grateful Dead, it would have been someone else. I agree with Ripple, because simplicity is bliss. I would also have to agree with Help>Slip>Frank. New Speedway Boogie is also undeniably awesome. I would also have to agree with Bird Song, given how trancendentally beautiful versions from late '72 can be (especially 1972-08-27) I'd consider Ramble on Rose, but probably wouldn't include it on my top ten, seeing as the closing of the winterland is probably the best performance of it ever, and it rarely reached comprable heights. I might have to include China Cat > Rider (give 1974-06-16 a listen) Also, I am shocked to see that no one mentioned Playin' in the Band, the mid '70's versions are host to some of the most incredible Jams the Dead ever participated in. In addition, as for my two cents on Dark Star Orchestra, they are my top live act right now. Yes you can just pop in a Dead tape and listen to it, which is why i would never listen to Dark Star Orchestra at home by choice. However, if you love the dead and you love live music and you love to dance, DSO is the perfect vessel for an extremely enjoyable experience. I HIGHLY reccomend them to anyone who considers themselves a Deadhead
    *Edit* forgive me for forgetting to mention Cumberland Blues

Jerry Be With You
  • maybe we are getting chattier...

Hmmm, I like Cumberland Blues a lot too...damned if I don't get up and jig about whenever I hear it. Agree with those versions of Bird Song, very gorgeous, although (and I'm engaged in a debate elsewhere on this subject) I can do without some of the more tedious versions of 'Playin'. Honestly guys, when D-J gets wailing, no thanks...

China-Rider, well, more toe-tappin' fun, and I must concede to being a bit of a sucker for Cosmic Charlie too. And DP21? Cosmic Charlie and a storming 'Dancing in the Street'. (I think it's DP21!)

• Huron34 said...
    • User
    • 7 Mar 2006, 05:39
    I don't believe, in fact I know, it is not DP21. DP21 is 1985-11-01 in Richmond Virginia. The only Cosmic Charlie past 1971 was six times in 1976. My guess is that you are thinking of DP8, which is from 1970-05-02. that is an earlier rendition of Dancin' and a faster, more raw rendition of Cosmic Charlie. The only other DP that has both Cosmic Charlie and Dancin' is DP20 from 09-25-1976, so that would be a later, disco-ish version of Dancin', as well as a much more mellow, slow version of Cosmic Charlie. Do you know now which one you are referring to?

Jerry Be With You
  • 1. Dark Star -> The Eleven -> St. Stephen (can that count as one?)
    2. Scarlet Begonias -> Fire on the Mountain
    3. Help -> Slip -> Franklin's Tower
    4. Peggy-O
    5. China -> Rider
    6. Brown-Eyed Women
    7. Box of Rain
    8. Ripple
    9. Birdsong
    10. Eyes of the World

• You're not wrong

We can all make a mistake, it is indeed DP20. What matters is...I like it, I listen to it, and I dance to it.

• In no real pecking order......

1. Mr. Charlie
    2. Weather Report Suite
    3. The Other One
    4. Till the Morning Comes
    5. Doin' That Rag
    6. Jack Straw
    7. Born Cross Eyed
    8. Dire Wolf
    9. Scarlet Begonias
    10. St. Steven

These tunes, who are all really good, might not be my favorite, but they are tunes that came to my head.

"Everybody's dancin' in a ring around the sun"
  • Wow, this is pretty hard to chose.

No order.

Brokedown Palace
    Scarlet > Fire
    Brown-Eyed Woman
    Tennessee Jed
    Stagger Lee
    Ramble on Rose
    Jack Straw

Honorable Mention: The Music Never Stopped

• Not in any order

Brokedown Palace
    Box of Rain (need to get my Phil in)
    Stella Blue
    Jack Straw
    Cold Rain & Snow
    Fire on the Mountain

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.