new member - old member : who are you?

• new member - old member : who are you?

we all like Gould's playing/compositions , but in the end , who are you?
    tell us if you want
    your name,age, country... tell us about the place you live in,or anything at all that you think defines you.

... since i started the thread, I'll go first
    I'm Roxana,19. i live in Romania.
    i started listening to classical almost 2 years ago. i started from Liszt and Paganini, then my boyfriend introduced me to Bach :) with a work played by Gould. the first thing that i loved about it was actually his humming. i know a lot of people find it annoying,but i fancy it. it makes the work sound a lot more personal. its one of the differences between a work played on the computer, and a work played on a piano, by a real person.

and you?

Are you a member of the Glenn Gould Variations group? Why not join?
  • as a new member

Hi there,
    my name is frieke, i am 44, live in belgium. classical music has always been my stuff, but when i was about 17 i first listend to gould playing the goldberg variations, and did not really like it. i was not ready for it. i left it for over 25 years(yes, i am ashamed)but listened again recently, and it was a bomb exploding in my head! i'm very happy for things like youtube, being able to see and hear such wonderfull stuff.and happy to find young people with the same feelings about music. about the humming, i love it!
    someone said it is reassuring to hear that there is a human behind such superhuman music. love to hear more about you, and people that feel the same, greetings frie

• Welcome Frieke!

ya know things like not liking a composer/a performer , and liking his "art" later is natural. its a matter of experience and it has a lot to do with the evolution of taste in that field :)
    i had the same thing...wait, i have the same thing with Prokofiev. there was this work of his that left me cold, it felt like background music to me when i heard it the first few times. i admitted even then its good music, just not fit for me. and later after a few months when i recalled that work, and heard it again, it felt like it was my own soul's chords moving and making the sound ( talking here about certain parts in Romeo and Juliette and his sonatas.)

:D btw Gould playing the goldberg variations felt like The bomb here too!
    i've got the same thing right now with Liszt/Odes funebres (Fantasie und fugue on a theme of B_A_C_H played by Leslie Howard). havent heard a "bomb" in a long time.or the music i heard didnt feel like a bomb for me for some time.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2008, 11:27

old, long-beard-and-moustache-member;)

ok, time for me:)
    my name is Dorota, i'm 23 and i live in poland [hey, angelizer, i just lately came back from romania-beutiful !]

as for classical music, i started listening to it when i was 17/18 - funny story:
    i was learning for my exams, and as i always have the music on, i couldn't concentrate for i was singing or thinking about lyrics all the time.
    then i thought about those science statements, you know-that you learn better listening to classical, so i thought- ok, why not, no lyrics, better learning- let's give it a try.
    and then i got into it.
    so my first love was mozart, then dethroned by bach, who's number one for the moment.
    other things on music that come to my mind:
    Liturgie St Jean Chrysostome by Rachmaninov makes me cry every time, also Arvo Part sends shivers down my spine [i a-d-o-r-e choirs].
    Last year's album of Olafur Arnalds -
    Eulogy For Evolution, despite the obvious music connections it evokes made it to be one of the best albums of 2007 for me - connecting classical with electronical music in a really subtle way. again there were tears, i have to admit;)
    oh!
    i have a big sentiment for erik satie, which grew even bigger after seeing maison satie - his house in Honfleur, france. Such a great sense of humour in music is a rare thing.

oh, and about glenn gould- i discovered him about two years ago and fell in love immediately... it was first about his humming, truly - a proof that that divine music was made by human.
    though i love both, i prefer the first interpretation of "Goldberg Variations", the faster one - but i wait for the moment when i'll start liking the second one more - guess it comes with the age [like in gould's case].
    Actually Glenn Gould made me want to study music, which i never did - i thought i want to "understand" classical music, which can only be achieved by knowing the theory & history of music.
    unfortunately i never made it to play any instrument nor to get the theory- guess i just lack talent.

oh, anything else? ask.

hugs 4 all of you.

• hey Dorota!

first of all :D im glad you like my country.
    second of all, for the same reason i started to listen to classical music. lack of lyrics.

and hey, you know, after listening to an album of Alkan ( grotesqueries of Alkan - which i deeply recommend. it also has the Satie sense of humour in it. and plenty of it too) , at the end there was a file , in wich one of the singers in the vocal works commented on Alkan's style a bit. and that made me want to study music theory too.( eventually someday learn an instrument. when i will ever be able to)

i think , once you get to study the music - deeper and deeper, you start understanding it more - you start understanding both the message the composer had in mind, and the one of the performer.
    so it gives better insight.
    but luckily for that, its never too late :D

and i heard of this guy who started to play piano at the age of 28, and he grew to be great at it.
    by the way, which instrument would you study ?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2008, 14:39
    oh, piano! needless to say;-)

if i were to become a multi-instrumentalist, others i would choose would be:
    -harp
    -harmonica
    -guitar [my blues/rock musical roots speaking]

and god, i love weeping sound the sound of musical saw:-)

• Well I haven't looked much at this group for a while, but all of a sudden there is this nice thread..:)

So, here goes:

My name is Chris (age=24) and I live in Canada (Toronto) but I moved here from Poland quite a while ago (in 1993). But unlike most people I did not lose/forget the language.:)

I guess I started listening to classical music when I was 17, but there was a predisposition in place; it showed up in films or even in computer games during the bygone days of childhood (really:). I never really had any very special interest in music before I started getting into classical. In fact I never even had ANY non-classical CD! At some point I heard the Revolutionary Etude of Chopin, and had a sudden urge to find a recording of it, and along with that I got the Fantasie Impromptu and others, and quite soon I was listening to these obsessively! (I was looking at the scores as they played in this old program called "Noteworthy media player"). A little after I found and listened to virtually every Chopin piece, I went on to Brahms, Mozart, then Beethoven's symphonies, Grieg, Rachmaninov, ... and after a while Mahler and pretty soon Stravinsky (The Rite of Spring was an incredible revelation for the first time). Then Penderecki (Threnody was a shock) and well, now I know literally about a thousand composers and keep exploring this amazing stuff.

I never properly studied music though (I studied engineering and now I study computer science) but I did teach myself a little bit of piano but not well, of course, maybe I should learn properly some day! I sometimes imagine being able to play something like Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 6, oh my wouldn't it be great. :D

My most favorite music is an odd combination: Francois Couperin's subtly emotional harpsichord works; Pettersson's overwhelmingly bleak symphonies; all of Schnittke's grotesque pieces; the joyous purity of Haydn...

As for Gould, I got to know him through all of his recordings of Bach, which I collected one after another. I especially like the English Suites (well, the Goldbergs too of course). But I also know him through some of his contemporary music recordings, like of Schoenberg. And most recently, I got to know his own compositions, such as the wonderful "So you want to write a fugue?"... but I still can't get myself to like or understand his long String Quartet.

Ok, that's all I'm going to say for now!

Name is Etha, 21, currently living in Chicago (grew up in Los Angeles).

I can't really list a definite time when I started listening to classical, because it's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, whether it was coming from my mother's worn LP of Gould's 1955 Goldbergs, her equally worn LP of Landowska playing WTC, one of the local classical radio stations, or my own attempts on the piano. Bach has always been my favorite for his incredible counterpoint, though I have also long had an affinity for the second Viennese school (ever since, suffering from insomnia, I discovered Schoenberg on a late-night classical radio program at around 4 am when I was 12 or 13). Haydn is quite lovely as well; I enjoy playing Mozart, not so much listening to him. Beethoven is beautiful, but I hold an (unfair!) grudge against him for writing many pieces full of large intervals that my little hands were simply incapable of, and which ended in me leaving out some of the notes that contributed to the all-important harmonic textures of those pieces, or else relying all-too-much on pedal). (This is a problem I also have with many of the late romantic composers, who sometimes seemed to be composing almost solely for the cult of virtuosity that arose out of the culture of the Industrial Revolution [Liszt, et al]...)

My absolute favorite piece of music has to be the Art of Fugue, which I am currently working my way through slowly (starting on the last [unfinished] fugue, which I adore).

• pezke said...
    • User
    • 23 Aug 2008, 00:39
    whatever

• Hello dear gouldists!

My name is Monika. I live in Warsaw, Poland.

I fell in love with Glenn Gould's/Bach 'Goldberg Variations' 55&81 about ten years ago, when I was learning in music school (piano class). Then I've read a Stefan Rieger's book about Glenn Gould titled "Glenn Gould, the Art of Fugue", I've started searching CDs, movies and documentaries about him. It's how Glenn Gould became my greatest hero.

Last year I've organized a cycle of film projections about Glenn Gould in the Univeristy of Warsaw to spread Glenn Gould's cult :)

I admire not only his musical genius, but also his versatility (his writings, letters, counterpoint radio documentaries, his parodies of f.ex. stockhausen), witty sense of humor, great passion, intransigence, generosity, love for animals..

I love his humming, his old chair, gloves,.. all his excentricities.

I like singing his little masterpiece "so you want to write a fugue"

........and I think he was hot ;P

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.