Do You Commit Tagging Sins in the Name of Clean Tags?

• anubis2591 said:
    I love the idea of putting featuring artists in a separate tag. I really wish we could make this a standard somehow.

Well maybe we can begin this way:
    http://www.last.fm/group/I+keep+Featured+Artists+in+a+separate+Featuring+Tag

If a lot people care and join.. who knows.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 27 Feb 2012, 09:47
    I prefer to have the genuine article or scans to base what equals a "correct" tag off of.

I don't fuck with MusicBrainz or anything like that... I just reference the artwork and use exact names (correct tagging and aesthetically-pleasing tagging do not mean the same thing... if "(Feat. so-and-so)" is the title, then I keep it (unless it is clearly written as a form of subtext in a clearly smaller typeface, denoting it is additional info as opposed to a part of the title).

My biggest sin is Having Each First Letter Of Each Word Capitalized (same as Discogs rules, but I've always done titles that way, so the compulsion comes naturally)...

I do this even if it's a word like "and" (and always use "&" if the tracklisting/band/album uses an ampersand instead of the actual word). I am also very particular about true-to-title use of punctuation marks.

I only do AbnORmaL or ALL caps if it's clear this is the intended spelling (like, if a song in a tracklist is the only one with said abnormal capitalization, as oppose to being done for aesthetic reasons).

I fucking hate when stuff is mis-tagged, especially stuff I have scrobbled 54525242524524 times before noticing. I check that shit obsessively now, especially since I lost scrobbles deleting a bunch of shit because some fucktard always puts "EP" at the end of a release title.

Genius, I know it's an EP... That ain't in the NAME of the fucking release though (I realize some EP's actually do have it in the title, but many that don't still get tagged "_________ [EP]", which drives me up the wall..

For my own vinyl/CD rips, I keep the tags immaculate and true to the release, referencing them directly, or using scans/Discogs tracklistings (not always correct, BTW) when it's a downloaded release.

As for splits, I keep it simple: if it's two bands with no obvious shared titled, I just name it "______/______" in the album field. Otherwise, I only use the A-side title if a split's B-side is left untitled... which is totally wrong, but.... it's sometimes kind of a grey area of uncertainty with some split releases... and sometimes they are marketed this way when purchased (perfect example being the "Maggots" split with NunSlaughter and Mutilated Messiah, the later who are on the B-side and have no title for their half of the split, though NS do in fact have a track called "Maggots" on their side as the opener... and everywhee you look, it's referred to simply as the NunSlaughter/Mutilated Messiah "Maggots" split.

Whatever. I'm babbling now.

• aL0k8r said...
    • User
    • 3 Jun 2012, 21:17

feat. artist belongs in the artist tag, NOT the title tag!

the "feat. Artist" is NOT part of the track title, so why put it there?! it fits much better in the artist tag, or if possible, it would be nice to have it in a separate tag. personally, i always make sure my "feat. Artist"s are in the artist tag. imo, it looks much cleaner that way. plus, if an artist is featured on a track, that track is no longer only by the original artist, and artist collaborations ought to be distinguished respectively (and respectfully).

• Re: feat. artist belongs in the artist tag, NOT the title tag!

aL0k8r said:
    the "feat. Artist" is NOT part of the track title, so why put it there?! it fits much better in the artist tag, or if possible, it would be nice to have it in a separate tag. personally, i always make sure my "feat. Artist"s are in the artist tag. imo, it looks much cleaner that way. plus, if an artist is featured on a track, that track is no longer only by the original artist, and artist collaborations ought to be distinguished respectively (and respectfully).

That messes with the tags on here so much, creating new artist profiles for at most a few songs. 'track (feat. *)' never bothered me, as long as it's in parentheses and doesn't have variations of 'feat.' ('featuring', 'ft.', etc). A separate field would be cool, but if every instance of a song that features another artist had '(feat. *)' instead of it straying to the variations I mentioned, it wouldn't be such a big deal. Just thinking about how many collaborations some artists do really puts that in perspective. It's too much.

EDIT:
    Lol didn't realise this thread was almost 3 years old. Whoops

Hush little baby don't say a word
    Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird
    And if that mockingbird don't sing
    Mama's gonna bury it in the backyard
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.