favourite "unknown" song

• M1ck1 said...
    • User
    • 9 Dec 2005, 02:08

favourite "unknown" song

I know it's hard to talk about favourite songs, but let's try to dig out the lesser known songs for some perls... :-)

I'll start with "Cosmic Empire".

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
  • I think it was even a single at some point, but "Blow Away" doesn't get a lot of recognition. "This Guitar (Can't Keep from Crying)" is another big favorite of mine, a worthy sequel to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." "Faster" is another one i've discovered recently, pretty decent fare. "Let It Down" is one that nobody likes much either, but I dig.

I've never heard "Cosmic Empire," i'm gonna have to try to look that one up if you recommend it. What album is it on?

• M1ck1 said...
    • User
    • 22 Dec 2005, 08:48
    The track is on of the demos on the "Beware of ABKCO!" album. It's very raw and you might find nothing special about it, but I like it.

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
  • Handle With Care, if Traveling Wilburies songs count. If we're only talking George solo songs, I'd go with So Sad from Dark Horse. The whole Dark Horse album is really overlooked. George's voice is shot on it because of laryngitis but it's not nearly as bad as most critics say. Some real great tunes on it.

Edit- I love Blow Away and I don't know Cosmic Empire either.

• I have a bizzare fondness for the songs from "Shanghai Surprise", The title track, "Breath Away From Heaven" and "Hottest Gong in Town" I absolutely love.

"Window, Window" from Beware of ABKCO

His version of "Rock Island Line" With Paul Simon for SNL in 1976

"Dream Away", "Gopala Krishna", and "Mother Divine" are also all very good. "Miss O'Dell", "Deep Blue" (which I think was the B-side to "Bangladesh" another underrated song)

• I really enjoy the demo for "Mystical One" off of Gone Troppo. It's not on the original album but it's in the Dark Horse Years boxed set which is a great way to drop 150 bucks if you ask me.

• I really like "Don't Make Me Wait too Long", "Blow Away", "This is Love", "Apple Scruffs", "Any Road", "When We Was Fab", "Crackerbox Palace" and so many others!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jun 2006, 03:20
    i like "Beware Of Darkness", "Awaiting On You All", "Art Of Dying". such great songs.

• Well, "This Song", "Under the Mersey Wall"(Electronic sound freaks me out good), "Not Guilty", "Circles", "Try Some Buy Some", and "Here Comes the Moon".
    Not sure all of those are really "unknown", but I play by no ones rules, especially my own.

http://s9.invisionfree.com/Nowhere_Land/index.php? - come to our Nowhere Land to discuss our nowhere plans, with nobody...
  • Hmm. There are a few. I really like Devil's Radio and Run of the Mill. Not Guilty is good too, in agreement to that last post.

• I love the tune to Poor House by the Traveling Wilburys. Georges guitar solos make the song.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2006, 21:15
    every george song is AMAZING, regardless of what any one says or thinks!

although, I've been listening to "I Live For You" quite often as of late, and I realize that its a spectacular song that not many people mention...and should ;)

• For me, "Isn't It A Pitty," "Let It Down," "I'd Have You Anytime" and "So Sad."

Oh, and "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea."

I also like his take of "It Don't Come Easy." =D

• His take of It Don't Come Easy is fantastic. Does anyone else have the Beware of Darkness Sessions? It's a bootleg filled with lost recordings from the All Things Must Pass sessions. It's fantastic. It has his take of It Don't Come Easy, Miss O'Dell, Deep Blue, and a bunch of other outtakes. Any of them could have been on the album. Actually, I prefer some of them to the cuts that make the album. It doesn't even sound like outtakes because the songs sound perfect.

And it has a version of Dark Horse when his voice wasn't shot.

• "Cosmic Empire" is amazing. Just got Beware of ABKCO the other day from a friend.

I am a particular fan of a bootleg of him playing "If You Belonged To Me" on VH1 in 1997 and "Every Grain Of Sand" on a radio station in 1988. Those are the two most beautiful renditions I've ever heard.

I was also recently totally, totally blown away by "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from Love.

• Simply shady from dark horse is great

• k4n0n said...
    • User
    • 22 Jan 2007, 22:28
    I found a song known as everybody nobody....it reminds me a little bit of the ballad of sir frakie crisp...I'm not so sure...but I love that song!

• JoePill said...
    • User
    • 29 Mar 2007, 02:08
    I love his slide tunes

Sweet-Hearted Hana is a great one from the self-titled, and I've only recently heard the phenomenal Any Road from Brainwashed.

George Harrison is so overlooked it's embarassing.

• I also like Here Comes the Moon, as well as Woman Don't You Cry for Me. I've only heard his Rock Island Line in a crappy Youtube video, but it sounds good (what a great song). Wonderwall also seems unknown and is good in a weird way.

And don't forget the free download from Last.fm!

• What's this "Beware of ABKCO"?

Anyway, I really like Let It Down, Beware of Darkness, Apple Scruffs, Miss O'Dell, Rocking Chair In Hawaii...

Whales are fun to read about.
  • Be Here Now off of Living in the Material World is a great, great song.

Also I Live For You is waayyy overlooked.

lol...and it's odd I know...but I really like Rocking Chair in Hawaii off of Brainwashed. Looking For My Life is also great from that album.

pc!

• I have a weak spot for his go at "I really love you" off the Gone Troppo album. It's a silly song. But that's why I like it. It's something that nobody would think he'd record.

Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly. (Dalai Lama)
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 13 Jul 2007, 03:02
    I think "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is my favourite song by George when he was one of beatles.
    From his solo carrer, hmm.. I love "Someplace Else".

• During The Beatles: I Me Mine, Long Long Long, Love You To
    Solo Career: Wah Wah, Isn't It A Pity, Art of Dying (Just found this the other day, and everything is fantastic, especially the drums and guitar)
    Traveling Wilburys: Handle With Care

Signature text is automatically added to the bottom of every message you post in the forums.
  • For Beatles-era, I'd say "I Me Mine". It's one of my alltime favourites by George anyway.

Learn the rules, so you know how to break them properly. (Dalai Lama)
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.