Gehenna - Seen Through the Veils of Darkness (The Second Spell) 1995

Full-length, Cacophonous Records
    October 16th, 1995

Dirge Rep - Drums
    Dolgar - Guitar, Vocals
    Sanrabb Guitar, Vocals
    Sarcana - Keyboards
    Svartalv - Bass

LP version released by Necromantic Gallery Productions in 1000 hand-numbered

1. Lord of Flies 05:00
    2. Shairak Kinnummh 05:05
    3. Vinterriket 03:54
    4. A Witch Is Born 04:21
    5. Through the Veils of Darkness 04:33
    6. The Mystical Play of Shadows 03:09
    7. The Eyes of the Sun 03:27
    8. A Myth... 08:56
    9. Dark Poems Author 05:11

Total playing time 43:36

some 9 years ago, 2 words came to mind...Holy and Shit. This is some amazing Black Metal, simply put. At the time this was released, the flood of Darkthrone clone bands was still very much active, and Gehenna just completely rose above the hordes of derivative crap in the BM scene with this, their sophomore release. This has everything, the cold, harsh grimness of Black Metal, with just the right amount of melody, ambience, and keyboard inspired wizardry. From the backwardly masked vocals of opener "Lord of Flies," to the final haunting moments of "Dark Poems Author" (inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe), "Seen Through the Veils..." just grabs you and transports you to a place where the dead walk in silence forever, and your soul is no longer a part of you. There is absolutely nothing I can find wrong with this release, which is a rarity for me when it comes to the mid-90's Black Metal scene. Trust me, standout tracks "A Witch is Born" and "Through the Veils of Darkness" will haunt you for weeks after first listen. Pick this one up as soon as you can. Do not miss out!

• Good review and indeed their best album, just awesome.

• My favourite album of Gehenna.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.