• 1000 Pages

Alright, this was a huge hit on another forum I go to, so lets try it out here. Let's try and get this thread to reach 1000 pages as soon as possible! :thumbsup:

Post jokes, pics, talk whatever, have fun

• Velj_ko said...
    • User
    • 17 Sep 2011, 21:15
    I hope it won't get locked. There's random thread for... well, everything! But I'll give this a try, why not?

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 16 Sep 2012, 22:34
    i'm not sure this is gonna work hahah :D

If you're not ready for love, how can you be ready for life?
  • So much for 1000 pages. Lol it hasn't even exceeded page 1 after a year.

Here's some random stuff to fill the void:

• A SAGA.

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 24 Oct 2012, 21:07
    ^ :D

• I wish I was a fish.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 25 Oct 2012, 09:28
    Granted.

• But now he can't type anymore. Anyone knows fish language?

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 25 Oct 2012, 21:02
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Oct 2012, 10:18
    The train to heaven is powered by continually unexpected rewards (negentropy).
    You may make many journeys before you find the express train to the terminus (see previous post: dream), or you may have unknowingly already made them, maybe via another route, and be lucky enough to get there straight away.

There are five intermediate stations.
    You start your journey from Earth, when you are grounded and confident enough.
    Many never board the train; many get the wrong train, which always ends up here again.

The first intermediate station is Water; feel free to get off and go surfing or swimming; there is a big garden here with many flowers. If you get a train which doesn't stop here, you can always get off at the next stop and come back; sometimes you may need to, in order to collect certain things. There is always something new here.

The next intermediate station is Fire; you may choose to alight here, and recharge your torch batteries; you will need them later. You may also visit the three overlapping buildings of the power station.

The next intermediate station is Air; many people love to fly around here, dance, or help the builders decorate the station to make it beautiful, maybe with flowers from the second station and flames from the third. There is always much happiness here, you will revisit this station often.

The next intermediate station is Space; there is a vast library here, with many books, internet terminals, theatres, and a quantum telephone exchange. There are also many sparkling pinpoints of multicoloured light, and many interesting sounds, in all possible languages. The track seems to end here, but continues thru a tunnel, which bears a sign, "...lanck interfac...".

The remaining intermediate station appears to be called "Mind the Gap", from the markings along the long platform. Using your imagination, you realize it is called "Mind, the gap". Some genius has graffitied a cartoon of a cat in a box on the wall; depending on what angle you look at it, it seems to be dead, but at other views it is alive. There is a huge server rack here, with two sides, which provides processing capabilities for the previous station.

You continue to the terminus...

When you finally make the express journey, starting at earth, the train will be accelerated towards water, but as it passes thru, its momentum will carry it past, drawn towards fire. Just before reaching fire, the expansion of air will suck it past; the train will momentarily slow down at air; look at the scenery and feel the gentle breeze. Picking up speed, the train is now attracted toward the many possibilities of space, which crossfades into the real and imaginary continuum of mind. The train coasts thru this station, whose twin platforms extend as far as the terminus; it is possible for those with a good map to disembark here and walk along the narrow platforms to the terminus; but nowadays more and more trains are expressing themselves nonstop there. Having got here, you may instantly travel to any other station on any other route, you have the ticket.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Oct 2012, 10:40
    ^ Thumbs up to the above post. Very David Eagleman-esque :3

I approve wholeheartedly of this thread. Lets just declare it to be a 'participatory conceptual project' and then hopefully that will exempt it from potential mod-locking. That, and I haven't yet found a suitable thread to fill up with modern art for no appreciable reason whatsoever.

ARTIST OF THE DAY: Motohiko Odani

http://www.emptykingdom.com
    http://www.mymodernmet.com
    http://www.aaa.org.hk

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 29 Oct 2012, 22:39
    ^ I like those :D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Oct 2012, 16:21
    XDanica said:
    ^ I like those :D

Cheers! Embarrassingly i'd forgotten about this thread, hence the lack of a new 'artist of the day'. Whilst i'll probably not actually bother with daily updates I will try to make it a regular thing.

ARTIST OF THE DAY: Dan Hillier

http://www.danhillier.com/

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Oct 2012, 19:57
    ARTIST OF THE DAY: John Isaacs

[Pending moderation]

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Oct 2012, 20:00
    Seeing as no one seems to posting much in here, I might as well ask if anyone aside from XDanica has liked any of the artists i've posted so far. Is there any medium or era people would like to see more of? Something more abstract perhaps? Something a tad more highbrow like minimalism or performance art? Or are you quite happy with the visceral visual stuff i've posted lately?

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 31 Oct 2012, 21:37
    I like John Isaacs better, those are awesome! :D Especially third, fourth, sixth (which i believe is your avatar) and eighth.
    I just checked your profile, you seem to be into art very much! Oh, and about what you said, i'm not sure if anyone visits this tread that often.Thanks for posting, by the way :))

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Oct 2012, 21:40
    lol. dafuq

• Selfsurprise said:
    Seeing as no one seems to posting much in here, I might as well ask if anyone aside from XDanica has liked any of the artists i've posted so far. Is there any medium or era people would like to see more of? Something more abstract perhaps? Something a tad more highbrow like minimalism or performance art? Or are you quite happy with the visceral visual stuff i've posted lately?

I do. I just can't decide which ones I like best hence avoided commenting altogether. The visceral art is wicked but in a good way. Can you share some surreal art as well? I also fancy those.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Nov 2012, 12:00
    XDanica said:
    I like John Isaacs better, those are awesome! :D Especially third, fourth, sixth (which i believe is your avatar) and eighth.
    I just checked your profile, you seem to be into art very much! Oh, and about what you said, i'm not sure if anyone visits this tread that often.Thanks for posting, by the way :))

Cheers XDanica! :D I think this thread has the potential to be as open and awesome as the late lamented Random Thread. I'd hate for it to turn into a one-man band though, i'm hoping that if I keep posting this artist of the day malarkey then people might posting their own weird and indefinable stuff. Or just chat, whatever floats their boats... :3

eigrp100 said:
    I do. I just can't decide which ones I like best hence avoided commenting altogether. The visceral art is wicked but in a good way. Can you share some surreal art as well? I also fancy those.

Well i'm glad you've liked everything so far :) Are you talking old-school 'proper' surrealism or any latter day artists who show a distinct influence from that movement?
    littlehurrican said:
    lol. dafuq

Excellent contribution. No, really. It throws everything everyone else has posted so far into contention.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Nov 2012, 12:08
    ARTIST OF THE DAY: Jana Brike

[Pending moderation]

• Selfsurprise said:

Well i'm glad you've liked everything so far :) Are you talking old-school 'proper' surrealism or any latter day artists who show a distinct influence from that movement?

Any modern day art with a mix of surrealism will do. I believe that we shouldn't focus on stagnant art of the olden days. Instead, it needs to be diversified and melded with current works of art :)

By the way, I just had a staring contest with the sack headed boy. He has a very ominous look so I stopped and stared at him eye to eye for a few seconds and I felt like he wants to harvest my soul. He was very still and I lost the contest of course lol.

• XDanica said...
    • User
    • 2 Nov 2012, 20:10
    Oh hahaha, i was thinking the same thing! But not about him, about the girl with braids. Anyway in my opinion these are great too, especially the second, that's exactly how i feel sometimes. "Artist of the day" is a great idea! :D

This is awesome, by Carl Andre:

(what do you guys see in that one ^?:))

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Nov 2012, 22:50
    ^ Kudos on the Carl Andre post! :D I'm particularly keen on his ultra-beardy 70's stuff. The stuff that involved tiles and plates arranged on floors in rigid demarcated squares or paths, or his deceptively straight-forward sculptures made of bricks, wooden blocks and all held together by nothing but gravity.

As for the second image, its not so much what I see as what it makes me think. Andre hails from a time in contemporary art that saw the whole trope of pure unadulterated text manifesting in works in its most deliberate form. By breaking and re-arranging what appears to be text from a single source, he disrupts and admirably demonstrates the reliance on legibility the human mind requires to process language.
    But then conversely the rigidity and relative precision of the way in which these disassociated elements are re-assembled suggests an alternative way of reading visual stimuli and approaching the aforementioned legibility. A rather good metaphor for how modern art is capable of both bewilderment and enlightenment in equal measure.

eigrp100 said:
    Selfsurprise said:

Any modern day art with a mix of surrealism will do. I believe that we shouldn't focus on stagnant art of the olden days. Instead, it needs to be diversified and melded with current works of art :)

By the way, I just had a staring contest with the sack headed boy. He has a very ominous look so I stopped and stared at him eye to eye for a few seconds and I felt like he wants to harvest my soul. He was very still and I lost the contest of course lol.

I am a lot better versed with artists of the present than of the past, although art history is something that interests me immensely.

I've only been aware of Jana Brike for a relatively short time. I have however quickly acquired an appreciation for her uniquely androgynous and faintly hemophiliac images. She is like a less sensationalist/brutal Trevor Brown. His insistent focus on underaged corruption gives way to Brike's more Balthus-esque restrained (though no less unnerving) exploration of adolescent sexuality.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.