Yes it's true (and I don't say this often), I don't know very much about French Pop and am here to learn:) Besides the 3 artists listed here who else do you recommend? Are any albums availible in the United States?

G13

• intro to french pop 101

For a nice French-language pop sampler, I'd recommend the various-artist compilation "Le Pop" (this link might / might not work: [album]Le Pop[/album] ). It has a kinda indie / alternative feel (since it is in a "foreign" language, for non-native speakers of French), and at least it isn't just a french-language version of the current Britney or whatever flav o' the day (which there's no shortage of in any language - French, English, Italian, German -- well, ok, German has its own odd "pop" sensibility, mixing 1 part pop, 1 part "Schlager" (pop-folk), and 2 (many) parts Du, but that's a topic for another forum).

The album is, more or less, "die chansons der nouvelle scène française" (that's the German/French title - I picked up the CD in Germany) - das heist: songs of the "new french scene". Unfortunately, other than music streamed via last.fm, I haven't been able to find foreign-language music in the US (other than the obligatory "super sale" $4.99 Edith Piaf and Johnny Hallyday by the dozen) -- so, reluctantly, I've had to order via amazon.fr (très cher).

Just a few examples of zee contemporary French musique : Si tu disais (j'adore - dark sultry sexy (and dare I say "french?") vibe, if yer into that kinda thing); Mathieu Boogaerts (fun light pop); 1 2 3 (catchy pop classic - and, learn to count at the same time); Pascal Parisot (pascal! oui? ...très french); Beau comme garçon, et cetera...

-m. scott

Edited by michael_n on 30 Jan 2006, 04:34
  • Great!

Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find on the 'ol web:)

• You can check out Myléne Farmer as well. There really should be more artist connections here...

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.