Noisy Noisy Free Jazz - Recommendations

• Noisy Noisy Free Jazz - Recommendations

Helloooo, I'm really into Otomo Yoshihide and all his New Jazz stuff (Group, Ensemble, Orchestra, etc), and Coltrane's Olatunji Concert knocks my socks off. I'm looking for more noisy noisy noisy free jazz of this sort. I don't need melody (though I don't mind it), just want cacophony.

• Try this one: Ettrick

• thanks! yeah, this is nice.

• John Zorn - Spy vs. Spy: The Music of Ornette Coleman (very noisy-noisy-noisy and at the same time melodic renditions of some Ornette's tunes)

Have you tried Coltrane's Ascension? That's a hard one, but once you get it, oh boy, the reward is all yours!

And maybe this one: Cold Bleak Heat - It's Magnificent but It Isn't War

And this one too: Last Exit - Koln

• tuimalila said:
    John Zorn - Spy vs. Spy: The Music of Ornette Coleman (very noisy-noisy-noisy and at the same time melodic renditions of some Ornette's tunes)

Have you tried Coltrane's Ascension? That's a hard one, but once you get it, oh boy, the reward is all yours!

And maybe this one: Cold Bleak Heat - It's Magnificent but It Isn't War

And this one too: Last Exit - Koln

Couldn't agree more.

If you like 'Ascencion' (which you should or must, no doubt about that :-) you must also check out the Ascencion hommage done by ]Rova Saxophone Quartet with an extended ensemble (fred frith, nels cline, otome yoshihide, ikue mori, carla kihlstedt, jenny scheinmann,...). The album (Electric Ascencion (on Atavistic) is just amazing

Check also Zu and their sideprojects like Black Engine and massimo pupillo's collaboration with Jim o' rourke, mats gustafsson, Thurston Moore, Paal Nilssen-Love & Terrie Ex. It's called Original Silence.

Also very recommended: I just ordered 'Brolt' from the skandinavian band Scorch Trio. Guitar/bass/drum jazzmadness. Can't wait to get it.

Other bands worth checking out: MoHa! and Ultralyd

and off course anything with Peter Brötzmann

• jackyvasy pisze:

Couldn't agree more.

If you like 'Ascencion' (which you should or must, no doubt about that :-) you must also check out the Ascencion hommage done by ]Rova Saxophone Quartet with an extended ensemble (fred frith, nels cline, otome yoshihide, ikue mori, carla kihlstedt, jenny scheinmann,...). The album (Electric Ascencion (on Atavistic) is just amazing

jacky: listening to Ascension now and I just can't wait to lay my hands on Rova's Electric Ascension you were talking about. I love electric masters Cline and Frith (I strongly recommend Cline and Bendian's "Interstellar Space Revisited: The Music Of John Coltrane" and Frith's Massacre trio) and when I think of combining the concept standing behind Ascension with electric/electronic instrumentation, is sounds like...well, it sounds veeeeeeeeery exciting.

• About the Electric Ascencion record:
    apparently they only rehearsed once in the afternoon and in the evening it was broadcast live on the radio. Which is truly amazing is the fact that the session never ends up in a full blow out/endless stream of collective madness that can sometimes be tiresome if direction and vision gets lost. There's great discipline going on with many clear passages of one, two, three players improvizing while the rest waits respectfully. Frith is playing electric bass on this one, nice deep accentuated notes. Allthough the cd contains different tracks, it's just one addictive flow. 60 minutes are gone before you know it. The sound is also very good, balanced, rich of detail and the contribution of each musician is well heared.

... speaking of a hommage...

so yes: GO FOR IT :-)

• I'd suggest any of Albert Ayler's recordings: "Spiritual Unity" (Marc Ribot made an excellent remake of Ayler's masterpiece with Henry Grimes and Roy Campbell Jr.); Witches & Devils (there is a fine tribute album by a group called Witches & Devils that includes Ken Vandermark that was recorded live at the Empty Bottle in Chicago that is excellent!). I'd also suggest (talking about Ken Vandermark) the horn trio Sonore (made up of Vandermark, Mats Gustafsson and Peter Brotzmann) and their album, "No One Ever Works Alone" which logically leads to Brotzmann's "Machine Gun". Also, Frank Lowe - "Black Beings" or "The Flam", Frank Wright - "Your Prayer".

And, possibly, my vote for the perfect place for anyone to start: the three CD set from Knit Classics called "Wildflowers: The New York Loft Jazz Sessions". It's a musical document that covers a ten day period in May 1976. There were a number of lofts in lower Manhattan set up to present the "new free jazz". Luckily, most of it was recorded for the Douglas record label and originally was released in a five LP set. This is essential music and provides a wealth of starting points for anyone who enjoys the more free avant garde jazz. I'd only ever heard the vinyl until a couple of days ago when I found the CD set. It is amazing!

Ron

• Other recommandations :

Alan Silva And The Celestrial Communication Orchestra - Seasons (2h+ of cacophonous delight performed by an all-star orchestra)

Dave Burrell - Echo (the 1st track is one of the most intimidating aural bombing you'll ever hear; the 2nd track is not noisy but beautiful abstract free jazz)

The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Communications (Exhausting & incredible)

And some others :
    Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman
    Peter Brötzmann - Machine Gun
    Manfred Schoof - European Echoes

And yes, you can't go wrong with John Coltrane's Ascension, as it's the best album ever.

• Some stuff to dig for

HAZZ & COMPANY - Unlawful Noise

Milford Graves - Babi Music (with Arthur Doyle and Hugh Glover)

Guiseppe Logan Quartet

Kaoru Abe and Masayuki Takayanagi - Kaitai Teki Kohkan (New Direction)

Cecil Taylor - 3 Phasis

• Axel65 said...
    • User
    • 21 Oct 2008, 13:25

Three Reccomendations (Vids include)

jackyvasy sagte:
    Check also Zu and their sideprojects like Black Engine and massimo pupillo's collaboration with Jim o' rourke, mats gustafsson, Thurston Moore, Paal Nilssen-Love & Terrie Ex. It's called Original Silence.

Also very recommended: I just ordered 'Brolt' from the skandinavian band Scorch Trio. Guitar/bass/drum jazzmadness. Can't wait to get it.
    Other bands worth checking out: MoHa! and Ultralyd
    and off course anything with Peter Brötzmann

Thanks for Original Silence!They're so great!
    Here's some Vids of the aforementioned Zu and Scorch Trio. I added Steamboat Switzerland. Enjoy!

Zu -Live au Festival Invisible

Zu is an Italian Trio from Rome with Jacopo Battaglia (dr), Luca Tommaso Mai (sax) and Massimo Pupillo (b)
    Album recommendation: Zu & Nobukazu Takemura: Identification with the enemy

Scorch Trio - Live in Joensuu/Finland 2006

Scorch Trio is Raoul Björkenheim (git) from Finland and the two norwegians Ingebrigt Håker Flaten (b) and Paal Nilssen-Love (dr)
    Album recommendation: Luggumt

Steamboat Switzerland - Live @ ResBox 2008

Steamboat Switzerland are Lucas Niggli (drums), Dominik Blum (hammond, korg), Marino Pliakas - bass.
    Album recommendation: AC/DB (Hayden)

Last month's top five albums
    • KGE-DTS said...
    • User
    • 30 Oct 2008, 22:24
    Well, not exactly noise, but hard, havy, powerfull and harsh Free-Jazz: "The Thing" (f.e. album "Garage") and Mats Gustafsson. This person, like Peter Brötzmann and Ken Vandermark, is the most important one in nowadays free-jazz. And there is a project - " The Thing With Ken Vandermark", check this. ;)

(The Thing)

• Axel65 said...
    • User
    • 3 Nov 2008, 21:15
    You're right about Mats Gustafsson! There is also a fine collaboration between Zu & Mats Gustafsson on the Album 'How to Raise An Ox'.

Zu & Mats Gustaffson - Live at Paradiso, Amsterdam, 20/11/04

And Gustafsson plays also with Original Silence - together with Massimo Pupillo from Zu and Paal Nilssen-Love from Scorch Trio. It's just one big family ;-)

• You get nothing, you lose, Good Day Sir.
    • cjcarne said...
    • User
    • 3 Jan 2009, 22:10
    For glorious cacophony you could do plenty worse than Borbetomagus or Masayuki Takayanagi & Kaoru Abe

Chief Slacker & Bat Chain Puller At:
    Desk Supervisor: Free Improvisation Artist Expert: Derek Bailey, Pere Ubu
    And remember, you get a free dead cat in each bar of Dead Cat Soap

• Just rediscovering something I haven't listened for almost 15 years : Massacre (Fred Frith, Bill Lasswell, Fred Marr). The album is named Killing Time.

Anyone knows if there have been other productions from them ?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Mar 2009, 08:10

MASSACRE

YES!!!! That is one of the greatest albums of ALL time.

• Axel65 said...
    • User
    • 8 Jul 2009, 12:48
    Gagaouze sagte:
    Just rediscovering something I haven't listened for almost 15 years : Massacre (Fred Frith, Bill Lasswell, Fred Maher). The album is named Killing Time.

Anyone knows if there have been other productions from them ?

Yup, there two other albums i know:
    Meltdown: Queen Elizabeth Hall, London (2001, Live)
    Lonely Heart (2007)

Fred Maher doesn't participate anymore in the project, but i'm happy to announce that Charles Hayward (This Heat) replaced him :)

• Dimaension X - Laws of Repulsion

New album available - http://www.archive.org/details/laws_of_repulsion - I'll be uploading it here very soon.

Sort of sounds like Sonny Sharrock's "Ask the Ages" with Nels Cline/Gregg Bendian's "Interstellar Space Revisited"

• layosu said...
    • User
    • 30 Oct 2009, 06:56
    I you're "looking for more noisy noisy noisy free jazz", "just cacophony", as you write, you might like some of the music by |˟˟| (me), although it has a tendency to calm down every once in a while. (And it may not be recognizable as 'jazz' either.)

• obscure selections

• more

• I've never thought that i would play some kind of jazz... few years ago... but now... actually here is what we did on our last concert... I think it's kind of free improvisation and jazz...

Alarm Pressure - Every Evening

Alarm Pressure - Cat

Alarm Pressure together with ШИШКА

Hope you like our video ^)

Our MySpace Page

Gribnoj Jam
    Come and listen to Alarm Pressure, maybe you like this kind of music ^)
    • xazafa said...
    • User
    • 15 Sep 2010, 03:54

drums one-take which sound like a factory

its trapset free improvisation through cellular-device in a glass jar www.last.fm/music/XAFAFA/_/a

XAZAFA
  • Harsh noise

or nearly. Wasteland Jazz Unit is nice.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.