Frank Zappa vs. The Mothers of Invention

• fukker_ said...
    • User
    • 24 Sep 2010, 12:20

Frank Zappa vs. The Mothers of Invention

Does anyone know why tracks with The Mothers of Invention transforms into Frank Zappa although I have tagged them correct? Also some records should be credited to Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention and some to for instance Frank Zappa & the Mothers. Isn't the fingerprinting system that Last.fm uses supposed to fix this issue? I have tagged all my FZ / Mothers releases at MusicBrainz and so my tracks ought to have the unik fingerprints for each track.

Group leader for entombed
    • RAHB said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2010, 08:06
    There are a number of reasons Last.fm does it this way. One is that Frank was really a "solo artist" for most of his career, even when he would, post-early 70's, release an album under Frank Zappa And The Mothers. Even compositions by the original Mothers were almost all credited to Frank, and became part of his touring catalog all the way through 1988, his last tour. Essentially, it's easier, cleaner, and less confusing to just say that the artist for it all is Frank Zappa.

• fukker_ said...
    • User
    • 30 Mar 2011, 21:42
    Yes, I now this is the fact but I don't really agree. I think that the albums should be tagged the way they are credited on the albums, hence some should be credited to FZ, some to the Mothers and som eto FZ + the Mothers. In this way they are also dredited on MusicBrainz.

Group leader for entombed
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.