Genius in France

• jaggop said...
    • User
    • 27 Jan 2007, 10:05

Genius in France

I just recently stumbled upon this song on my radio channel, and I consider it the best hommage to Zappa ever.

Many things in the song are similar to classic FZ numbers, but I can't quite spot them all.

I've got In France (title), I'm The Slime (Dweezil's intro), Dancing Fool and something that reminds me of Montana. The xylophones remind me of the beginning of St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast. And then of course there's "Great googley-moogley" and poodle references.

Can anyone help me spot any more? And do you agree that it's a great hommage?

You think I'm ranting? Spot on.
  • There are many things that are typical to Zappa songs, like the low voices singing "Well, well now" or something between the lines (like in Bobby Brown or Packard Goose) and all of the instrumental runs between the lines.

I don't really like it. It has the right stuff in it, but it just doesn't sound right. It gets a bit too close to the real thing without actually being it.

...Weisst Du wer ich bin?
    • jBake said...
    • User
    • 17 Nov 2007, 11:56
    It bears a bit of a likeness to 'Flakes' from Sheik Yerbouti I think.

• RAHB said...
    • User
    • 18 Nov 2007, 21:34
    Feels a bit like You Are What You Is to me, more in the execution and song structure really. I heard this song long before I ever got into Zappa, then stopped listening to Weird Al very much, but I could tell it was definitely Zappa inspired.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Jun 2008, 02:49
    Don't forget all the poodle references in the song.

• asdeafas said:
    There are many things that are typical to Zappa songs, like the low voices singing "Well, well now" or something between the lines (like in Bobby Brown or Packard Goose) and all of the instrumental runs between the lines.

I don't really like it. It has the right stuff in it, but it just doesn't sound right. It gets a bit too close to the real thing without actually being it.

Isn't that the point of a parody? ;-)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.