What's a "flop"

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Jan 2008, 04:27

What's a "flop"

Just under what criteria can you define what artists are considered "flops"?

Like, for instance, why are mostly female artists posted on this board? Male artists and even groups have also had their share of flops, take for instance, James Blunt.

Another thing, artists that may flop in markets like the US or the UK might be big sellers in other markets, such as Japan, Germany or even Argentina.

• Kewbs said...
    • User
    • 31 Jan 2008, 06:26
    James Blunt has never flopped, what are you talking about? :\

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Jan 2008, 07:53
    Kewbs said:
    James Blunt has never flopped, what are you talking about? :\

I was refering to his last release All the Lost Souls.

Didn't do too well in the US.

• Aeritho said...
    • User
    • 2 Feb 2008, 19:58

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 15 Jan 2011, 17:30
    • Jazz13 said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2008, 03:47
    Everyone from Jennifer Lopez to U2 has released a flop at least once.

Some do it more than others.

• [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 18 Jan 2011, 15:27
    • Jazz13 said...
    • User
    • 7 Feb 2008, 21:10
    neverlandean said:
    The most important thing is that this group wasn't made to mock or bash artists that don't sell lots of copies. Instead, I and everybody here (I think) believe that most flops are actually quite good and wish these artists do better next time. :)

ya, we're not trying to be mean. We like alot of these artists that didn't do well.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 May 2008, 22:04
    Yeah, I think lots of the flops are actually artists I liked and hoped they would have stuck around! I never understand why no one else seems to like them lol!

• Well, should we call Norah Jones Florah Jones? 'Cuz she only has 1 Top 40 hit("Don't Know Why" reached #30 on Hot 100) and "The Fall" is just going down down down down.

• GuuhBs said...
    • User
    • 10 Mar 2010, 23:57

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 9 Jan 2011, 16:38
  • clh_hilary Norah Jones is huge, she sold over 40 million copies worldwide

~~A vida é uma romã :D~~
    • tombiz said...
    • User
    • 17 Nov 2010, 01:01

@GuuhBs

Robyn is doing pretty well, as she is (or was?) an indie artist...

Wanessa Camargo had a lot of number-one singles in Brazil, and a lot of certified albums also. Sandy & Junior followed this trend, apparently, but I couldn't find any info, unfortunately. :(

• CGholy said...
    • User
    • 2 Dec 2010, 17:32
    how does does an album or single have to sell or chart to be branded a flop?

Supporting the Sugababes: Past, Present and future.
    • tombiz said...
    • User
    • 21 Dec 2010, 21:18

@CGholy

For mainstream music, I guess it must reach the Top 40, or at least be certified (even if it's very difficult to get a certification if a single can't reach higher positions on the charts). But that's just my opinion...

• Let's talk about more real flops.
    My favourite flops: H & Claire, Sinead Quinn, AllSTARS*, Little Boots, Scooch

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.