Who is your all-time, most favorite composer of movie scores EVER?

• Thomas Newman by miles. I'm not into that pompous, predictable orchestra nonsense by Williams and Zimmer. Imo they're not even good composers.

fuck all chans
  • "What can we know? What are we all? Poor silly half-brained things peering out at the infinite, with the aspirations of angels and the instincts of beasts."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    1859-1930
    • nalazey said...
    • User
    • 25 Feb 2010, 10:36
    Ennio Morricone

• John Williams, Ennio Morricone, James Horner and the next new is Steve Jablonsky

• Ches182 said...
    • User
    • 1 Nov 2010, 11:42
    When i saw StarWars for the first time, it was John Williams.
    But as time went on and scores for movies like Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Crimson Tide, Backdraft, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Rock, Sherlock Holmes were made - I love Hans Zimmer's music :)

• Cliff Martinez one love :D

• can't decide between two great composers: Williams and Morricone

but can't forget Hans Zimmer, Alan Silvestri, Giorgio Moroder, Armando Trovaioli, John Carpenter, Danny Elfman, Harold Faltermeyer, Bart Lyonel, John Barry..
    In addition there are a lot of great musicians which are not composers but had written soundtracks like Isaac Hayes, Quincy Jones, Peter Gabriel, Eddie Vedder, Vangelis....

Quite a lot!

• Hum. Thomas Newman. But I also have great appreciation for Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings soundtracks, the best soundtracks I have ever heard. Some stuff Hans Zimmer has done - like Inception and The Dark Knight. I also like some Desplat and Harry Gregson-Williams'/John Powell's score for Chicken Run. And James Newton Howard.

But if I had to listen to one composer for the rest of my life... It'd be Thomas Newman.

I dreaded sunny days so I'll meet you at the cemetery gates...

I've been standing by the nile when I saw the lady smile.
  • Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe (really enjoyed Call of Duty score) and Craig Armstrong (<3 In Time score)

• All-time, most favorite EVER - Ennio Morricone

• I really don't get the Zimmer thing. His music just seems formulaic and mediocre to my ears. For me the top three are:
    1. Alexandre Desplat (Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows part 2 is just an incredible work),
    2. Howard Shore (not just for Lord of the Rings but also Dogma and Silence of the Lambs)
    3. Dario Marianelli.(V for Vendetta is a divine score).

I'm in the middle of 15 things, all of them annoying
    • Bayou16 said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2012, 16:47
    Howard Shore
    James Newton Howard
    And many more !!!!

• wOoDy__ said...
    • User
    • 11 Sep 2012, 02:41

• Toru Takemitsu(1930-1996)

Pitfall (Otoshiana), dir. Hiroshi Teshigahara (1962)
    Harakiri, dir. Masaki Kobayashi (1962)
    Woman in the Dunes, dir. Hiroshi Teshigahara (1964)
    Kwaidan, dir. Masaki Kobayashi (1964)
    Assassination, dir. Masahiro Shinoda (1964)
    The Face of Another, dir. Hiroshi Teshigahara (1966)
    Samurai Rebellion, dir. Masaki Kobayashi (1967)
    Double Suicide, dir. Masahiro Shinoda (1969)
    Dodesukaden, dir. Akira Kurosawa (1970)
    Silence, dir. Masahiro Shinoda (1971)
    Empire of Passion, dir. Nagisa Oshima (1978)
    Ran, dir. Akira Kurosawa (1985)
    Black Rain, dir. Shohei Imamura (1989)
    Rising Sun, dir. Philip Kaufman (1993)

especially, Kwaidan is brilliant.

• Hans Zimmer
    Dany Elfman
    Ennio Morricone
    <3

Paradis <3
    • Abeton said...
    • User
    • 8 Apr 2014, 06:20
    I´ll just put my top artists here.)

Vangelis, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, Hans Zimmer, James Newton howard, Cliff Martinez. In this order.

My dear, our world is hopelessly boring. Therefore, there can be no telepathy, or apparations, or flying saucers, nothing like that. The world is ruled by cast-iron laws and it's insufferably boring. Alas, those laws are never violated. They Don't know how to be violated... To live in the middle ages was interesting. every home had its house spirit and Every church had its god.
  • Can't decide...
    That's a tough one...
    ... Martin Böttcher

• kolinex said...
    • User
    • 11 May 2014, 12:31
    for me Zbigniew Preisner the one :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2014, 07:06
    Danny Elfman, Joseph LoDuca, Harry Gregson-Williams and Howard Shore. I simply can't tell which of them I love more.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.