Non-vocal ethereal?

• Non-vocal ethereal?

I don't like lyrics. They're distracting, and usually cheesy and stupid. Any good ethereal music without vocals, or, like Lisa Gerrard, vocals without real words?

"This is the Land of Fancy, and we walked to the verdant shore upon a golden bridge of moonbeams." - H.P. Lovecraft
  • Sigur Ros....Lots of none vocal songs, some vocal songs in a made up language (hopelandic) which is sound singing with no real meaning, and some with lyrics in Icelandic which whilst being pure poetry and none of what you described as being objectionable, you won't understand anyway, being in icelandic. Best band in the world? I think so!

• This probably isn't exactly what you meant, but the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (first movement) by Henryk Górecki, is quite ethereal and beautiful. The words are not understandable. I don't think they're in english. This is not 80's dark wave ethereal music but it is just as satisfying to me.

• Sans vox ethereal

Yuminale is all instrumental with several ethereal songs. Aquamarine, Ananda, Quarryland, On The Eve of Loxic Streams, Spheric and others.. Check it out and leave a shout. Oh and please add to your library if you like it. Thanks!!

Yuminale

• Randwer said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2010, 20:33
    You might check out Popol Vuh.

They don't trust us, why should we trust them, then?
    • Zypraxa said...
    • User
    • 21 Aug 2012, 06:32
    Well, you're not alone man. I hate vocals too! Well, I don't *hate* them, but I find them tedious generally.

I really don't think you can classify either Popol Vuh or Sigur Ros as "Ethereal"/"Dream", though there are some similarities, particularly in Popol Vuh's early-to-mid-70's period, with albums like "Hosianna Mantra" and in the early 80's with "Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN". Sigur Ros are basically just post-rock, of the late-90's variety (plodding tempo, epic climaxes, U2-overload guitars).
    Personally I'd go for something like Windy & Carl where the lyrics are barely discernible and are immersed in reverb, or, I dunno, Dreamers Cloth and bands of that variety (though they're not really "Ethereal" either).

But I really don't think there's much distinction between "instrumental ethereal" and, say, a lot of ambient stuff. In which case I would point you to Steve Roach - in particular the albums "The Magnificent Void" and "Back to Life" (though my personal favourites are "Immersion : One", "Immersion : Three" and "Darkest Before Dawn"), Oöphoi, vidna Obmana, Opium... etc. If you want something with a hint of "tribal", I dunno, O Yuki Conjugate?

Prevaricatin' since 1534.
  • Stay Frightened has some great instrumental tracks.

• lyliaun said...
    • User
    • 14 Nov 2013, 06:51
    well..... let me know if you think Aythis is cheesy because really her lyrics are pretty and serious. Some of her songs have next to no lyrics. I will think about this and post again later

Edited by lyliaun on 14 Nov 2013, 07:19
    • lyliaun said...
    • User
    • 14 Nov 2013, 07:02
    try Tangerine Dream ( they did the soundtrack for Legend btw) , Delerium they have some non cheesy songs, Scythelence , Synaesthesia , and Artesia

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.