Welcome to Emerson, Lake & Palmer!

• Welcome to Emerson, Lake & Palmer!

Welcome to the Emerson, Lake & Palmer group that's not only not abandoned, but has the correct name for the group. ;)

Feel free to introduce yourself, and tell us how you got into ELP. As an old-timer, I've been into ELP pretty much since their beginning, though Brain Salad Surgery was probably the album that really shot them to the top of my favorites.

Along with King Crimson and Yes, I consider ELP one of the true pioneers of .

• mhje said...
    • User
    • 22 Jan 2008, 10:52
    I'd like to thank _Tarkus_ and point out that he is the one who has done the most work to make this group "successful" - not me.. So thank you _Tarkus_ and keep up the good work!

• Thanks, I appreciate that. I want to make this group as successful as possible, and it takes a willing owner such as yourself to help make it possible.

• ELP and King Crimson are two of my favourite bands. I'm only 21, but I got into ELP when I was 12 or 13 after buying my dad Pictures At An Exhibition on CD for his birthday, nearly ten years ago. I listened to it, and I really liked it. It remains my favourite ELP album, although my favourite track is probably Tarkus. After the triple live album I like only a few songs, but from their début to the triple live, they're practically flawless.

• I like their later stuff (especially Black Moon) a little better than you, but I agree with your characterization of their work through the Welcome Back My Friends... album. I think those are all classics, including the triple live album.

• I like Black Moon, at least half the tracks. I prefer stuff like Live at the Albert Hall 1992 for that period, though.

• allaw said...
    • User
    • 14 Apr 2008, 23:11
    ELP were my teenage heroes - so you can guess how old I am ...... :P

Without knowing it, I already rated Keith Emerson, having heard his work with the Nice - but at the time didn't know who he was.... 'Lucky Man' was played to me by a friend in 1970/1 - and I was hooked from then on.......

I've seen them live 4 times - three times in the 70's , once at the Albert Hall in 1992

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2008, 13:01
    EL&P, I knew of them last year (I don't remember exactly, though), when I got into prog-rock. At same time, I got into EL&P and since then I have listened to them.
    Of all their works, I like "Brain Salad Surgery" very much.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 May 2008, 13:04
    EL&P, I came to know them last year (I don't remember exactly, though), when I got into prog-rock. At same time, I got into EL&P and since then I have listened to them.
    Of all their works, I like "Brain Salad Surgery" very much.

• My sister (younger) brought home ELP's first LP back in '72 and I've been hooked ever since!

Favorite ELP album: Trilogy
    Worst ELP album of all time I hope: Love Beach :(
    Favorite ELP tracks: Tarkus, The Endless Enigma, Trilogy, Karn Evil 9.

• Judging by the posts I am probably the youngest member of the group at 17. Discovered ELP and prog rock just over a year ago and haven't turned back since =D

Also, thank you very much _Tarkus_ for the invite, very much appreciated.

• You're welcome. Always love seeing the younger generation appreciate great music from my era!

• Sadly born too late to see ELP in their prime - I had to wait until 92 to see them at the Albert Hall in London and then 2010 at High Voltage. I have to thank the late, great Alan Freeman (Saturday afternoon rock shows on Radio 1) for introducing me to ELP in the mid-70s. I then taped 'Tarkus' off a mate's sister's LP!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.