Favourite Sub-genre?

• Favourite Sub-genre?

Whats your favorite Sub-genre of Rock and Metal? and what is it about that sub-genre that makes you like it the most out of all the other sub-genres out there?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2009, 03:28
    So far it's Death Metal, loudly and proudly, well, maybe the aggression of riffage?, the gory lyrics?, the awesome vocals?, the neck-breaking drum lines with their shit loads of blast beats and double bass?, oh yeah!, i guess it's about all the past! + some psychological shit.
    Death Metal=BALL-SHATTERING.

• I appreciate Melodic Death Metal. But I really can't stand Grind-core bands like Cannibal Corpse or Carcass.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2009, 13:32
    With all respect to your taste, IMHO, melodic death metal has nothing to do with the real death metal deal, for instance: Amon Amarth is a melodic death metal band, which is clearly known that it's certainly different from the pure/technical/brutal/goregrind death, as a denotation, i will make a quick comparison between a melodic death band such as Amon Amarth and a pure death metal band such as Death to state my opinion., let's start with the pure death side here, which is Death, Death employs fast tempos, heavy distortion guitars, deep growling vocals, blast beat drumming, and complex song structures with multiple tempo changes, which aggregate pure death metal, Amon Amarth, is perhaps the example of pure and actual melodic death metal-which is rare as shit nowadays- WITHOUT any external influence in their musicality, downtuned and strong melodic guitar riffs holds it all, they combine the melody of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal with the intensity of death metal, also they combines the harmony style and groove melodies of heavy metal -which ruins the point of death metal's aggression here IMHO- with the harsh thrashing sound and vocals of death metal, shortly, how-ON EARTH- could you stand death metal lacking aggression and full of such CHEESY NWOBHM melodic riffs?

• I ll have to agree with you that melodic death metal cannot resemble the real death metal by any means. Melodic death combines different musical influences as u said that deviates by far from the original death metal recipe.

Although as u said it is a matter of taste, for me the harshness and the aggression can be way too much for my taste, so i have to be baised to melodic death metal, which combines different musical styles together making the music more versatile. I guess if ur into melodic stuff definately u ll pick melodic death metal and lets not forget the neo classical influences foudn here and there in melodic death songs which further adds to melody, and in my humble opinion adds to the song complexity of the melodic death metal genre.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2009, 14:20
    No problem at all, my point is: every melodic deah metal fan should know that melodeath has nothing to do with the other DM sub-genres -and shouldn't be counted as one IMO-,, as long as you know that, you can happily listen to whatever feels good to your precious ears!

• Interesting point of view there Muhab. Although I have to disagree abit.

Melodic Death Metal still has some of the aggressive elements found in every typical Death Metal band. The traditional death growl and screaming vocal input and the fast double bass drumming is quite present in nearly most of the Melodic Death Metal bands out there.
    There are some bands though that incorporate different styles into the genre like Childrem of Bodom with their Neo-Classical elements & Eternal Tears of Sorrow with their Symphonic elements. And there are some bands that add clean vocal lines alongside folk acoustic guitars into their songs. But they are strongly linked to the Death Metal genre. I donno thats my opinion Muhab. If you have any critiques to what I just wrote, then I'm willing to hear it.

• To get some facts right:

First of all, Cannibal Corpse is not a grindcore band, on the contrary actually, they are one of the few bands that can be used as an example of plain death metal in its purest forms.

Then comes the issue of 'melodic' death metal. Melodic death metal is not the creation of Amon Amarth and In Flames or whoever started a band in Gothenburg in the mid-90s. It started in the early 90s in Sweden with mainly At the Gates, Dismember and Entombed. Back then it was a different idea of death metal which wasn't really old anyway. The genre has developed through the years. A very good example of this is the developement of Drak Tranquillity from their work on 'The Gallery' [1995] and 'Fiction' [2007].

As far as mentioning examples of death metal bands that are 'just' death metal, I don't think Death would be a good idea because Chuck Schuldiner incorporated different ideas into his death metal background. He did prog-death, melo-death and tech-death. A good example would be Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation....etc.

As for me, I favour thrash.

"Our breed will resist all fake trends until this sad world ends"
    • bibo22 said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2009, 00:52
    mine would be black metal with its various sub-genres ... i think it is one of the most flexible genres and there is alot of creativity in it
    but also old school death is good .. bands like (bolt thrower .. napalm death...death)
    old school thrash (sadus and Vio-lence...dark angel)
    neofolk..progressive rock and post-rock music..are also great

• Thanks Aly for pointing out that small info you gave about Cannibal Corpse. Although the origins of the Melodic Death Metal genre is under a lot of debate. Some critics have even went as far as crediting Sentenced's first album North From Here as being the first Melodic Death Metal album.

Back to my musical tastes.. Well it changes from time to time. But I mainly listen to Progressive Rock/Metal, Psychedelic/Ambient music, Neo-folk and some Trip Hop music...

• It feels awkward, I think I'm the only guy who's into Rock over here, most of you are into Black and Death Metal, I used to listen to them anyways.

My favorite sub-genre would be a toss-up between Krautrock and Psychedelic Rock. Why I like them? hmm, mainly because I like the parts where the song gets noisy, and your jaws just drop and you don't understand what is going on, then suddenly the band goes back to playing the main riff, bass line, and drum beat.

Favorite Krautrock bands: Amon Düül II, Neu!, Can
    Favorite Psychedelic Rock bands: The Doors, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Acid Mothers Temple

Check out Amon Düül II if you want to;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfEsNrM2z3s&feature=related

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 16:39
    yous1987 said:
    Interesting point of view there Muhab. Although I have to disagree abit.

Melodic Death Metal still has some of the aggressive elements found in every typical Death Metal band. The traditional death growl and screaming vocal input and the fast double bass drumming is quite present in nearly most of the Melodic Death Metal bands out there.
    There are some bands though that incorporate different styles into the genre like Childrem of Bodom with their Neo-Classical elements & Eternal Tears of Sorrow with their Symphonic elements. And there are some bands that add clean vocal lines alongside folk acoustic guitars into their songs. But they are strongly linked to the Death Metal genre. I donno thats my opinion Muhab. If you have any critiques to what I just wrote, then I'm willing to hear it.

The melody thing ruins the whole point, IMO.

Maybe it's sort of a new wave or anything else, but certainly you can't count any melodeath band as an example of what death metal is all about.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Mar 2009, 16:48

Re: To get some facts right:

RustyBlood said:
    First of all, Cannibal Corpse is not a grindcore band, on the contrary actually, they are one of the few bands that can be used as an example of plain death metal in its purest forms.

Then comes the issue of 'melodic' death metal. Melodic death metal is not the creation of Amon Amarth and In Flames or whoever started a band in Gothenburg in the mid-90s. It started in the early 90s in Sweden with mainly At the Gates, Dismember and Entombed. Back then it was a different idea of death metal which wasn't really old anyway. The genre has developed through the years. A very good example of this is the developement of Drak Tranquillity from their work on 'The Gallery' [1995] and 'Fiction' [2007].

As far as mentioning examples of death metal bands that are 'just' death metal, I don't think Death would be a good idea because Chuck Schuldiner incorporated different ideas into his death metal background. He did prog-death, melo-death and tech-death. A good example would be Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Malevolent Creation....etc.

As for me, I favour thrash.

Man, who said that Amon Amarth created melodic death metal?, actually you created a reason out of nothing to teach me what DM is all about, maybe you're not, but it sounded pretty much like like you're trying to show off or something.

I am sorry to say that BTW, but, it's too easy to get such information, you can just check Wikipedia's Death Metal page, i did that myself long time ago.

By mentioning Death, i -OBVIOUSLY- meant the Death Metal era,<Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy..etc.>, you also have to know that early Death worked as a MAIN inspiration for each Suffocation and early Malevolent Creation as both Frank Mullen and Brett Hoffmann stated long time ago.

• crimydd said...
    • User
    • 24 Jul 2009, 21:26
    simply thrash metal all the way. it just gives this energy and power that other types dun give. some do but its mostly tharsh

"I hide only to deify you, take away the only love inside of you"
  • Indie-rock, Alternative Rock, Classic Rock, Post-rock, Psychedelic rock, Prog rock.
    Honestly though, I'm feeling like a total outsider with no one listenin to rock but Mr.mojo =o

Favorite would be a tie between Indie and Psychedelic I guess.

• Dude.. your not that alone. I like that kinda stuff aswell. Cheers mate.

• crimydd said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2009, 13:51
    i listen to rock too, its not like everyones strictly metal.

"I hide only to deify you, take away the only love inside of you"
  • Progressive Metal & Atmospheric Rock.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.