double-kicks?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2006, 07:02

double-kicks?

I personally hate the things..Admittedly they can be awesome WHEN USED IN THE RIGHT WAY, which very few drummers who have these pedals do.. I see an aweful overtendancy, in solos, for drummers to just do semi-quavers on the kickdrum and then something unimaginative like flams on the toms..

just wondering if anyone else felt the same way

feel free to try and turn me into a double-kick lover.. i was just interested to see if anyone else had noticed this phenomenon :)

• asaraki said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2006, 08:51
    full ack... stupid-db-grinding is for pussies (but i would be happy if i could do that stupid shit^^ )

i'm trying to find some good examples , but it's turning out to be quite difficult ^^

A Perfect Circle - The Package (i really like these db-"flams" in the chorus)
    Tool - Ticks&Leeches ( a straight db, but the groove is still tricky and
    really cool)

then i really like what JoJo Mayer (if anyone here knows him) does with his pedals, although he's not using the doublebase very much. i'm afraid i can't provide any soundexamples, but believe me that he is reaaally cool ;) (drum'n'bass dance music somehow)

• I just love tinkering with the hi-hat when i'm playing and I couldn't be arsed with a drop clutch. No chance of double kicks there then ha!

• buri- said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2006, 10:38
    yeah you're absolutly right. I think it's used very often, because the audience (mostly peoply who got no idea of drumming ) start to cheer.
    I have no db pedal and i won't buy one.
    double-kicks remind me of double-kicks on one pedal like zoro does.
    http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Zoroexpmd2005.html
    i learned that technique myself and i have to say that it is really nice.
    it's very relaxing and you can become very fast.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2006, 10:42
    my point exactly!! glad to see that im not some crazed anti-db weirdo!!

zoro's foot technique is awesomes.. as is thomas lang's

i just dont see a need for them ever, especially when Zoro etc prove that the same things can be accomplished without the extra pedal

• Quesada said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2006, 12:03
    I agree, cool things on the bass can be done with one foot just as well... My guitarist wants me to buy a double-bass pedal, but I will never do so!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jun 2006, 12:09
    good job.. resist! get your guitarist to but you something else for the kit, if you dont need anything else on your kit he can buy me a new set of skins!

• asaraki said...
    • User
    • 23 Jun 2006, 10:08
    riight :) but still a db-pedal ist quite a good way to practice independance. i only use it when i play alone or to practice. i wouldn't buy it these day, but back then i had too much money (or thought so, at least ^^) so i bought one. but yeah, hihat offers much more possibilities than a second bass pedal :]

would prefer a formula602 23" instead ^^

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Jun 2006, 09:16

Re:

Quoth asaraki:
    riight :) but still a db-pedal ist quite a good way to practice independance. i only use it when i play alone or to practice. i wouldn't buy it these day, but back then i had too much money (or thought so, at least ^^) so i bought one. but yeah, hihat offers much more possibilities than a second bass pedal :]

would prefer a formula602 23" instead ^^

right

• shep11 said...
    • User
    • 27 Jun 2006, 15:09
    My favourite players such as John Bonham and Mark Richardson never used double kicks, which has discouraged me.

MUSE RULE - LIVE, ALBUMS, ON TV, IN SPACE, ANYWHERE REALLY
  • I bought a db pedal and I hate the thing. It annoys me because Im suddenly without a foot for the hi-hat, and the other problem I have with it is that youre limited as to how far away you can put the 2nd pedal.

Apparently it is possible to get a double acting pedal that hits on the up stroke as well as the down stroke, but everyone at the music shops Ive been to just looks at me like Im mental when I ask about them lol.

Fear Factory have some top quality double kicking in their songs

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Jun 2006, 07:00
    correct and correct

• Yeah and the drummer has bloody elephant calves to be able to do it!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Jun 2006, 09:09
    baha.. elephant calves, such a rediculous image (think about it)

• Oh it is ridiculous! But my other alternative was a donner kebab leg...which I must say is a lot worse!!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Jun 2006, 07:04
    true that

• Arkisis said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2006, 16:08
    Raymond Herrera = awesome...

but in all truth double bass pedals are just fun to play around with... and it adds so much extra... bass to the song lol but I'm a metal fan... so that opinion was biased :D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jul 2006, 00:51
    I have one. It's really fun to play around with. Although I probably don't use it as much as I thought I would. Tis just a pain dropping the hi-hat though.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jul 2006, 18:58
    I have a double bass pedal. Fuck the hi hat pedal, open hi hat and ride/bell are good enough for me for now. An open hi hat sounds fuller and, to me, way more satisfying anyway. I think Playing double bass is fantastic. I'm practising to become faster, but I'm currently on a hold because for one, I am recovering from intensive heart surgery, and for two (?) I'm at my parents' house now and my drum kit is in my own place in a whole different town... :(

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jul 2006, 19:02

Re:

Quoth CrazyTractorMan:
    Apparently it is possible to get a double acting pedal that hits on the up stroke as well as the down stroke, but everyone at the music shops Ive been to just looks at me like Im mental when I ask about them lol.

Yeah because those are for wussies. :P

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2006, 04:59

Re:

Quoth hopelesslyhip:
    I have a double bass pedal. Fuck the hi hat pedal, open hi hat and ride/bell are good enough for me for now. An open hi hat sounds fuller and, to me, way more satisfying anyway. I think Playing double bass is fantastic. I'm practising to become faster, but I'm currently on a hold because for one, I am recovering from intensive heart surgery, and for two (?) I'm at my parents' house now and my drum kit is in my own place in a whole different town... :(

Hope you're alright. :D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jul 2006, 19:02
    I'm doing okay, but my endurance has been destroyed, I can only walk small ends at once for instance, so when all this is over and I'm finally back behind the kit I'm going to have to rebuild that...

• glad you're doing alright, though

I have a double bass, and i do like using it. however, it isnt all I do. I have the drop clip for the hi-hat (its 1:20 am here...too tired to think of the real name, sorry) so when I push the lever down, it drops the hi hat for double bass, push the pedal down to make it catch and open again. To work on endurance, I'll practice some heavier faster stuff to start off and tire for about 20 minutes, then, without stopping, go to some softer stuff (swing, latin, etc.) then some single-kick riffs to get the best of all worlds. then I just have a back-and-forth mixture of one and 2 kick pedals to come up with the craziest stuff my ablilty will let me. I find I improve on single and double kick as well as endurance :)

• omg... what resist? yeah, let's stop the skill development. when I'm reading some of posts here a couple of things are coming to my head.. Either few of you don't want to know fantastic double pedals drummers or just can't play with double pedals or as you said, you don't like it or something. Of course some drummers used to use DB P as their best "weapon" to play something... "hard". But there's a lot of high class drummers who plays pretty aesthetic with DB P. Check Thomas Lang shows or Mike Mangini WFD Solo.. that's only examples - for sure not the best : )
    And what's important: the most of songs where double pedals are used are the songs of metal bands, where it fits.

• Double Pedal? No thanks.

Pivot is the better way to kick ass in music.

Just listen to Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin and see

Delete os delitos e Deleite-se!
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.