New DT album

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Mar 2011, 21:36

New DT album

According to JP, JR and JLB's twitter, DT recording a new album.What do you want in it, what's your expectations...?
    I want something more similar to their older stuff.James is not good as he was in '93 or '94 but his voice is still great and I want some high notes from him ;)
    My expectation is that there will be some great bass lines.
    What's yours?

• Honestly, I want a new Metropolis.

It's me
    • Joqtomi said...
    • User
    • 1 Apr 2011, 22:36
    I would appreciate if they wouldn't try to do something old again

BuoyantHykes said:
    Honestly, I want a new Metropolis.

yeah, new Metropolis would be cool. But we already have metropolis, and it's so spectacular that i don't see a reason why do it again, or continue the story that had a great ending.

I think the new album needs some new ideas and new sounds. Not something big and radical change to DT:s awesomeness, but something fresh that makes it special :)

• AkselJ said...
    • User
    • 6 Apr 2011, 19:20
    I wish they would turn away from the metal-focused music, and focus on the artistic aspect. Possibly a new concept album. But it's already been written, so I guess I can only hope that's what they did.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 May 2011, 14:05
    Something experimental like 6DOIT :)

• New DT album

In my honest opinion, there needs to be (I know I'm going to take shit, but I don't care, I'm used to the hate)...NO KEYBOARDS! I know it's a dramatic and spontaneous idea, since the keyboards have been put the upmost importance to the DT sound...But I think it's time to hit the basics, no synths, no looping, no double/multi-tracking, just pure technical ecstasy (thanks Sabbath for the adjectives :D)
    Also, I have all their live albums (I can take pictures of and on the screen of my iPod and upload them somehow, and I'll try momentarily), and I'd like to see a legit, official release of their live songs, but of the entire album covers, like the floyd and maiden ones...That'd be fucking badass! Mangini better own up to all the hype, with him being like Portnoy's friend, and 5 time winner of the "World's Fastest Drummer' competition thingy...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 May 2011, 19:54
    Wait! Without Rudess or without his shit?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 May 2011, 01:54
    DT without keybords? C'mon.

Besides, you can't just tell Rudess to screw off for the year. Aside from it being heartbreaking to him, DT is his day job. He has a family to feed. I don't think it'd go over well.

What if though, just for this album, Rudess put the synths away and recorded parts on a piano? Never gonna happen though.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Jul 2011, 09:52

A Dramatic Turn of Events

There is tracklist:
    1. On the Backs of Angels (8:42)
    2. Build Me Up, Break Me Down (6:59)
    3. Lost Not Forgotten (10:11)
    4. This is the Life (6:57)
    5. Bridges In The Sky (11:01)
    6. Outcry (11:24)
    7. Far From Heaven (3:56)
    8. Breaking All Illusions (12:25)
    9. Beneath The Surface (5:26)

First single is called On the Backs of Angels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRcMeVNXpSo&feature=artist

• TokiDT said...
    • User
    • 31 Jul 2011, 11:26
    The sound of OTBOA was the one I wished for, so if the rest of the album follows that path I'm more than o.k. with that.

Now I only wish than the rest of the tracks are better that the single, which is nice but after some listens nothing really outstanding IMHO.

Muslim people be like "Allahspeed You! Black Shah" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • less genius more rock and metal, less pretrucci craap at backing vocals thanks good portnoy is gone as a drummer he is good but as a producer and at singing and at backing vocals he just suck they need to go back to images and words, scenes from a memory or at least to octavarium, they have been roaming in circles for a log time, and the new song sound just like the same boring shit

• Since Octavarium I've been a bit despondent regarding Dream Theater. I enjoyed Systematic Chaos for like maybe a month, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings, while better, wasn't an album I took much interest to, even though I really loved The Count of Tuscany.

Once I heard Portnoy left, I probably was one of the few Dream Theater lovers who felt a bit relieved. We all know Portnoy was the main figure in Dream Theater regarding the direction of their music. So I really felt that Dream Theater could finally get the chance to try something new.

Then when I found out Mike Mangini was the drummer, that gave me more hope than ever. I've been saying ever since Steve Vai's Fire Guarden album that Mangini was a top drummer. At present, I think he's probably the best/most capable drummer out there. However, I was a bit sad when I found out that his parts were written for him.

With that said, this new album, so far has been great. It still makes me a bit sad that LaBrie isn't vocally exploding like he used to. I had wondered if it was his own decision or something that Portnoy had influence over. Beneath the Surface was a great finish to the album I thought, despite my earlier complaint.

It will still be a little while before I can tell if I spontaneously lose interest in the album like Systematic Chaos, but if I were to guess, I'd say not so. I'm very happy with A Dramatic Turn of Events.

• I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a DT album since 6DOIT. Octavarium was decent. Everything since has just blended together in a flurry of forgettable wankery, and this latest effort is no different.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.