• stilicho said...
    • Subscriber
    • 8 Mar 2005, 20:14

Connections

Howdy, what a great idea for a forum. I was thinking about starting one for "loopy lyrics" but this might cover it.

FYI, I found this through the HBMS connection.

Some connections you should probably add:
    Nellie McKay
    Lederhosen Lucil

I also sometimes laugh out loud at White Stripes lyrics -- especially on Elephant.

• szarka said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2005, 14:29
    Forgot to reply to this... I checked out Lederhosen Lucil and added her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Who is Nellie McKay?

• Jayaism said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2005, 20:07
    I think you need to add Ben Folds. And Ben Folds Five.

I plot for a living.
    ratnerstar said: I like to pretend I'm Humphrey Bogart. Except I'm pretty sure he only shits bullets.
    • Jayaism said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2005, 20:08
    And Of Montreal. Just download "Tim, I wish you born a girl" and see.

I plot for a living.
    ratnerstar said: I like to pretend I'm Humphrey Bogart. Except I'm pretty sure he only shits bullets.
    • Jayaism said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2005, 20:09
    One more... Barenaked Ladies. Kinda given, but still.

I plot for a living.
    • stilicho said...
    • Subscriber
    • 6 May 2005, 08:10

Re:

Quoth szarka:
    Forgot to reply to this... I checked out Lederhosen Lucil and added her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Who is Nellie McKay?

Somehow I missed this. Nellie McKay is a ... phenomenal genre-mixer. She does piano/lounge stuff but she also raps and rocks out (to the extent the instruments let her). She does ballads, but she also does really funny, biting songs like "Sari":

I'm sorry for the mess
    The stupid way I'm dressed
    I guess I failed my test
    Oh don't you know I'm sorry for my views
    I musta been confused
    And yet you know that really I'm ... sorry for you

"It's a Pose" (about guys)
    When you leave you are missed
    Fellas can't you see I'm pissed
    Tryin' to enjoy my readin'
    But you insist on interpretin' text
    Oh go on fuck off I'm pleadin'
    Every sentence is a pretext for sex sex sex sex
    God you went to Oxford
    Head still in your boxers
    But you're male so what should I expect?

"Ding Dong"
    My cat died and I quickly poured myself some gin
    Did she die from old age or was it for my sins
    God I loved her oh so much
    Miss her little kitty touch
    Does she miss me does she care
    Oh I miss her kitty stare

The best couplet is from "Toto Dies"
    Yeah I'll have my coffee black
    Hey look we're bombing Iraq

She somehow finagled a double disc as a debut album, and cheekily titled it Get Away From Me, which puns on Norah Jones' Come Away With Me (and I've been told another album as well, but I forget which one). She's a bit of a lecherous pixie, which doesn't hurt ...

It's not so much that she's intentionally funny e.g. in the way that Lederhosen Lucil is but she's unafraid to be funny in the service of making a serious point. A lot like, say, Eminem.

http://www.nelliemckay.com/

Edited by stilicho on 6 May 2005, 08:13
  • NOFX is hilarious - they are Punk Satirists and have lyrics like "I say don't drink and drive / You might spill your drink", "There’s no fun when praying on a mat / There’s no fun being covered in black clothes in the desert / Unless you’re Goth and into that", and "No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too / Actualy they don’t have central nervousness / No manhatten style, clams have the right to smile / Come to think about it they don’t have a face"

• Tenacious D

• Is it just me that thinks Butthole Surfers should be here? Or maybe I have a sick sense of humour?

• szarka said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2005, 03:54
    Yay! The new design fixed whatever was keeping me from reading half the group forums and I can finally read this.

Thanks for the suggestions. I added some, but I'm trying not to be *too* obnoxious and connect this group to every artist out there.

I wonder what it means that I find Of Montreal to be, well, normal? ;)

• szarka said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2005, 03:55

Re:

Quoth Lardygirl:
    Is it just me that thinks Butthole Surfers should be here? Or maybe I have a sick sense of humour?

Are the two mutually exlusive options? ;)

• Re: undefined

Quoth szarka:
    Quoth Lardygirl:
    Is it just me that thinks Butthole Surfers should be here? Or maybe I have a sick sense of humour?

Are the two mutually exlusive options? ;)

No, I guess my question is to the lord and master of the group, if he finds Butthole Surfers to be too sick to be added to the connections. ;-)

• Wit, humour, call it what you will...

but Martin Gordon has it in spades, is what we here in charge of the Radiant Future think... His music is hereabouts... and hereabouts as well: www.martingordon.de. Just a thought!

• maybe, william burroughs, for his sarcasm and black comedy.
    lenny bruce, dr. demento

what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
  • David E. Williams. Very sick and very funny.

• szarka said...
    • User
    • 3 Jan 2006, 05:15
    Yeah, I've been kinda busy, but I'm trying to catch up..

First, I want to urge everyone to make use of last.fm's new recommendations feature to recommend artists and tracks to the group. It's easy to use and a good way to introduce folks to lesser known artists who aren't in the connections list. Also, the new journal feature is a good way to explain why you like an artist or track, and you can tie the entry to this group. (It comes to me for approval and, if it looks relevant I'll approve it. Unfortunately, I tried delegating the ability to approve entries to some folks, but it didn't work. Not ready for prime time, I guess.)

opiumeater:

AFAIK, Burroughs himself didn't much in the way of music, even though his stuff has remixed into various things by other artists. The same for Lenny Bruce, but more so. (Also--and of course this is of course just my personal reaction--I don't find Bruce all that funny. He's smart, sure. A great social critic, sure. But he just doesn't make me *laugh*.)

Dr. Demento, while brilliant as a DJ and promoter, hasn't himself written or performed much that I know of. In fact, the only track I can think of off the top of my head is his singing on Wild Man Fischer's "I'm a Christmas Tree". Has he done some songs I don't know about?

Speaking of Demento, I remember this song called "Dead Puppies Are No Fun" from his show years ago, but not who performed it. Didn't turn it up in a quick search... Anyone know?

Lardygirl:

Sick or not sick, it's all good as long as it's all funny. Of course, there's sick in a vulgar way (G.G. Allin) and there's sick in a brilliant way (Tom Lehrer). Which is which is maybe in the ear of the belistener?

I guess I just don't know the Butthole Surfers well enough to judge--the little I have by them is on vinyl and I'm without turntables at the moment. Someone wanna second that nomination? :)

• szarka said...
    • User
    • 3 Jan 2006, 05:21

Re:

I fixed the link in the quote below:

Quoth LitClique:
    David E. Williams. Very sick and very funny.

From a quick listen, I guess I don't get why his stuff is "humor". Maybe you could say what you find funny about it? Is it one of those things where it's so over the top that it's, intentionally or otherwise, a parody? Like, say, Leonard Nimoy singing "If I Had a Hammer"? ;)

Somehow I think this is related to Benny Goodman's recording of "Nitwit Serenade".

• Even though it's on the level of potty humor I would say GWAR is pretty funny.

• The Fugs

what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?
    • alholm said...
    • User
    • 6 May 2006, 08:41
    Primus and Mr. Bungle need to be added.

• How in the hell has Ween not been suggested?

• louk16 said...
    • User
    • 16 May 2006, 20:51
    how has stephen lynch been passed over?

• I need to get some Stephen Lynch. His Comedy Central special was awesome.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 May 2006, 14:39
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Jun 2006, 03:12
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.