What is Music Intelligence? What Do You Consider Music Diversity?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 May 2010, 16:47

What is Music Intelligence? What Do You Consider Music Diversity?

So many outside factors can affect our emotions ...
    Movies, friends, books, television shows, something someone says, or food.
    One of these factors is obviously music.
    Even without words, music can make us joyful or depressed, energized or sleepy.

Think of the last time a song really moved you, or meant something to you. Listening to & playing music stimulates many different sections of the brain, affecting us physically as well.
    Why are we as humans so connected to music?

There's a reason we refer to music as the 'universal language'
    There has been no known human culture without music
    Dancing & music came before agriculture, possibly even before language.

We all began life being affected by music.
    Babies first begin to respond to music while still in the womb
    Scientists say playing music for your baby supposedly helps him/her become smarter
    A study done in UK concludes children are able to recognize & even prefer music they had heard while in the womb up to three months before birth
    The babies who were exposed to songs with a faster tempo showed a stronger preferece for that particular music genre

On the other end, it's possible some music &/or lyrics could be bad for children & adolescents.
    The lyrics of today's popular music are increasingly very explicit
    The music we are listening to portrays a large part in our lives especially influencing self-identify

Ear plugging triggers will fire at brain cells that make up the hearing parts of your brain
    These associate the sound of music. Different patterns .. excite other cells
    So we associate the sound of music with feelings, thoughts & past experiences

The right side is crucial for pitch, melody, timbre & harmony
    The left side takes care of changes in intensity & frequency
    Both sides need to work together in order to correctly understand them

Studies have found that different types of music directly triggers different emotions
    Faster music plays a major key associated with happiness
    Slower music is then associated with sadness
    It is because we've been socialized to think through the music we're used to in our particular cultures?

Music is often used as a learning tool
    Think about it: how easy we memorize popular songs we listen to
    Singing & playing an instrument also has this effect
    Music has unending benefits to our health as well
    Some used for relaxed or reduce stress

Music with a strong beat can cause brainwaves to 'resonate in sync with the beat, with faster beats bringing sharper concentration & more alert thinking
    While a slower tempo promotes a calm, deditative state
    In addition, music also bring a positive state of mind, helping to keep depression & anxiety at bay

Music is a crucrial part of everyone's life.
    It has shaped the way we all live & develop as humans
    If used in the right way, it can help us learn, heal or even make it through even the thoughest times

Personally, I like to listening to the different genres.
    I love mixing in all of them ... thus creating different rhythm, sound, & beats to every song I play or even sing

Which brings me to ... For you, what is music diversity?
    Is it by listening to all tracks from a particular artist
    Or by listening to different genres & rhythms?

• epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2010, 00:25

wow...

ok, I was expecting a brief post with a simple question.

I think I used to listen to music based on my mood, or to affect my mood. Now I listen more as an all out addiction... I can't really explain it. I know that I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, it creates an ambience in my life.. a soundtrack almost. It connects me to other people (I am shy by nature), and there is a historical significance to it. I am a bit of a historian as well, so, to me, music is history. It takes me to places in the World that I can'ttafford to travel to, and to times that no longer exsist. In the course of a day I can be transported from a city street in New York right after the end of Word War II to the tribal regions of Africa. I do this daily... sometime for the entire day. I think a lot about people and cultures, improtant events in history, and I've even connected these experiences to events and people in my own family tree. Just another part of history I study and think about quite a bit.

Diversity to me is not just about the music, its about exceptance of all people, thier culture and history. Music helps me understand the World and has given me a geniun love for it. which I guess is partly why I am obssessed with travel right now as well... problem is, I can't afford to travel, but I can afford CDS !!!

As for music knowledge, I really like to know the history of the artist/group itself, as well as the history of the music style. I created the group to find others that share any or all of the above interests.

E

• epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2010, 00:28

PS

I played Deep Purple "Child In Time" for my son while in the womb. Just like my father before me. :) Of course, my dad played it for himself ... I just think I might have heard in the womb, and recognized many years later... in my teens.

E

• epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2010, 00:29

it, it

my "it"s were missing from the last paragraph ! wierd !

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2010, 06:12
    Sorry ... I guess I talk or write too much!!

• For me its very simple, without music the world would be a very boring place. I know for a fact that music keeps me from jumping off a cliff. (Cheerful isn't he.)

"When the music's over, turn out the lights."

"Let me hear you make decisions without your television"
    • epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 29 May 2010, 16:14

its true here too, I am not sure how well I would deal with the World without music...

• hey elijah i'd like to copy and paste your first post here. its exactly what I'm thinking and feeling about music :D

• I'm also thinking about which came first, music or language. we don't know how old language is and we don't know how old music is too. so we won't get an answer :(

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jun 2010, 05:08

Music Genres & Sub Genres

In my effort to fix my tags here's what I found. I was getting mixed up with punk, funk, jazz etc... I found country & bluegrass singers stick to those genres. Whereas all other singers will sing rock, pop, funk, punk, soul, r&b, jazz. Is this because it is easier to enter the industry with country music? It makes me wonder ... but I guess not 'cause they all work very hard

Music Genres

Popular Music Genres & Sub Genres

• epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 12 Jun 2010, 03:17

Sarah... I guess thats not surprising coming from my "musical soul mate" .. :oP
    Sylvia... I follow you with regards to trying to catagorize music artists. I am constantly shifting bands around in my library. I have taken some bands and split them up between two genres, depending on the era of the band. EXAMPLE: Pink Floyds early LSD and Syd Barrett induced tunes fit great with other 60's Psyche, but starting somewhere around 1971-1972, they shirted music direction. I put everything from Dark Side forward into a prog rock section now.. despite the changes from 70s Floyd to 80s Floyd .. both eras fit well with other Prog.

Now, with that said .. I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to artists starting in the C&W industry.. please explain.

_E

• Music makes helps me cope!

it's outward display of our soul ...music might have come before language cuz you don't need to sing to make sounds just hit and pluck stuff to see what sound it makes LOL

• Your first post, Elijah, fits perfectly for me as well. I don't know if I pick music after mood. Music definitely crosses the language barrier, I think. I actually saved a friends life by sending him songs over msn. He was really depressed, and I kept sending him songs for hours. Don't remember which songs, but it was all kinds of "shit". And he later told that it literally saved his life.

I don't believe in god in the same way that I don't believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy or santa claus.
  • But to get to the questions of the thread, music intelligence? I don't know. I've always loved music that makes me think. That is, music that is as far from the MTV generation as possible. :-)

I don't believe in god in the same way that I don't believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy or santa claus.
  • music saved me a lot of times. i mean literally, from sadness, depression and all that cheese. so i can say that it really became a part of me, it helps me to connect to the sound that it creates, it's like im in an another dimension or something, but really it's a good process that makes us, us. :D

Let's put a new coat of paint on this lonesome old town
    Set 'em up, we'll be knockin' em down.
    You wear a dress, baby, and I'll wear a tie.
    We'll laugh at that old bloodshot moon in that burgundy sky!
    • epi_gee said...
    • User
    • 28 Jun 2010, 22:29

I like music that makes me think as well, but some music is there to make you shake your ass and let loose ... or for others to shake thier asses, and us to watch.

• magnificent first post over there :)

to music intelligence: i think it's a part of music intelligence that you don't have prejudices to any music, no matter if it's "faggy hipster underground noise" or "sellout autotune money music" or oldies or emo or rave or god knows what. it's the music that matters in the first place and how your ears, brain and feelings respond to it. well at least that's how i think about this.

oh and i also like music to think to and music that's just there for the lulz.

also, ponies.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Apr 2011, 16:45
    I don't think Musical Intelligence/Diversity is about liking every single genre of music, but accepting other people's tastes.

• rwitte said...
    • Subscriber
    • 22 Apr 2011, 23:44
    For me music diversity means not deciding whether I like a piece based on labels like genres, on whether the video or artist looks good, but just on listening.

It means understanding that I can like a song for it's lyrics or in spite of them (if the rhythm, melody and harmony are sufficiently attractive).

Music intelligence means trying understand the cultural contexts of the music you are listening too. What are the influences that led to this piece and what subsequent music did it influence? What aspects of the music are held culturally fixed by the genre, and what aspects are encouraged to vary? What are the allusions and referents in the work?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.