[Review] Concealment - Phenakism

• [Review] Concealment - Phenakism

Concealment - Phenakism

One of our group members recommended those guys last week, and here we are with a review! Concealment are from Portugal, a place that wasn't on my map for technical, discordant Death Metal yet. The only things close and related I can think of are H Y B R I D and Wormed from Spain. Anyhow, this is the second full length of this trio from Portugal and it just came out recently.

Loaded with 8-string guitars, these guys deliver some serious low end, and if you love it as much as I do, this is a good thing. That alone doesn't impress anyone anymore, right? But I am genuinely impressed by the fact, that their bassist has even more strings, 'cause he plays a 9-string bass. And yes, it's perfectly audible, just like everything else in the production. The guitars are going for a more crunch than the occasional high gain type of sound, which brings the latest Baring Teeth record to my mind. These guys have a lot of dissonance going on and are obviously heavily influenced by Gorguts, while most of the material is slower paced or mid-tempo. Finally, the vocals here are more rooted in Hardcore, than Death Metal, but it really works quite well.

What I appreciate about this record is, that it comes along with a few nice surprises, such as an awesome sax-solo in Deluge, some solid clean vocals, but only in one song, and guest vocals by Rennie Resmini of Starkweather in another one. These variations are needed, 'cause sometimes along the road I'm craving for a change. Luckily, they deliver just enough of those.

What's left is an album with a lot of strengths and just a few weak spots. I wish there were more faster songs on Phenakism, but i can only recommend to check out the record nonetheless. If Concealment were from Canada or the States, I'm sure they'd get more attention. Make sure not to overlook them.

• W - O - W !!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS, my friend, is insanely good. Thanx a billion for mentioning them !!!! So stoked.

• KMFCM said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2011, 01:34
    I completely missed this review

this sounds fucking great

"i'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" - Stephen Colbert
  • Yeah.. this is actually really good.

• tris90 said...
    • User
    • 9 Sep 2011, 09:51
    love it too!

• Awesome Band! But clean vocals are never a "nice" surprise.

• johnstrieder said:
    Awesome Band! But clean vocals are never a "nice" surprise.
    Always depending on how well they're done. Clean vocals aren't always cheesy, ya know?! ;)

• thedailygrind said: Clean vocals aren't always cheesy, ya know?! ;)
    I don't know :D Never found a metal band with clean but atonal melody lines, which is the only way it could be not cheesy to me. I can't stand all those Djent-Bands, for example. And I just skipped Black Sheep Wall cause of their tonal melodies :(

But besides that, your Dissonant Network is a senstation to me. Since yesterday I'm crawling through the reviews and found so much awesome music already! Dissonance Heaven! Thanks a lot ... !!!

John Strieder (Atonality&Dissonance Die-Hard Worshiper)

• johnstrieder said:
    thedailygrind said: Clean vocals aren't always cheesy, ya know?! ;)
    I don't know :D Never found a metal band with clean but atonal melody lines, which is the only way it could be not cheesy to me. I can't stand all those Djent-Bands, for example. And I just skipped Black Sheep Wall cause of their tonal melodies :(

But besides that, your Dissonant Network is a senstation to me. Since yesterday I'm crawling through the reviews and found so much awesome music already! Dissonance Heaven! Thanks a lot ... !!!

John Strieder (Atonality&Dissonance Die-Hard Worshiper)

Glad you're liking this place. You'll always find something here. ;)

• Listened to Deluge and yeah that is what I want to hear. Seems like that there are a few good bands coming from Spain including this one :) .

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.