[Review] Meshuggah - Koloss

• [Review] Meshuggah - Koloss

Meshuggah - Koloss

It's crazy how Meshuggah emerged from an underground insiders' tip to everybody's darling in today's Metal world over the last few years. I think it's impossible to deny that the whole Djent movement played a role in this, because it brought them to the attention of the youngsters, who worship them now, for all the ripoffs they have inspired. Just yesterday I ran into a Deathcore kid at a show and he started telling me things about Meshuggah, and it got me thinking that even the last scene kid seems to know about them now. However, at the end of the day, I think they deserve all the attention and success for sticking to their very own idea of Metal and music in general throughout the years.

Thanks to the video for Future Breed Machine I bought Chaosphere as a young Metal kid in 1999 or 2000 and still remember how overwhelming it was. It took me forever to get into it, but at the same time I was amazed by this album, because it was something I had never heard before. Shortly after, I discovered bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Coalesce, and it was this time in my life that really paved the way for my current taste in music.

It only took Meshuggah one more album to end up with their signature sound: Nothing. They have experimented with this signature sound ever since and brought it to perfection with Catch 33. Each part, every single riff, everything on that album is plain awesome. It's heavy, ambient and dark and it never gets boring to me.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about Koloss. Finally we're coming to the part where it gets interesting, right? It's a monolith of an album, as in very groove-focused and yes, I think one could say, quite reduced and often almost simple. I was pretty disappointed with Break Those Bones Who Sinews Gave It Motion when it was first posted, but it is one of the more simple and repetitive tracks on the album that eventually grew on me. I just wish there were more tracks like Behind the Sun, with its great ambience and Catch 33 type of vibe. It definitely is the standout track on Koloss for me. Some parts and even songs on this album make you feel like you've heard them before on previous Meshuggah albums, which brings me back to the point, that I don't feel like they have improved with Koloss. Many of the riffs are lacking the contrasts I always loved their guitar work for, and they seem very focused on the low end, more than ever actually. Many of the groove patterns seem straighter and easier to comprehend, too.

To sum it all up, Koloss seems more accessible than their previous records. This might have been their intention, who knows. If it was, it could be considered a success. Will this accessibility turn into the strength of the album over the time? We will see. I am extremely undecisive about this, but apart from Catch 33, I feel like that about all of their albums with the above mentioned signature sound: All have had a mix of both songs I found mind blowing and those that I found to be just plain boring. And this goes for Koloss as well, with the exception that I found none of the tracks to be mind blowing. There are great ones and boring ones, but nothing Meshuggah hadn't done in a more spectacular way before. I still hope it will grow on me and I'm excited about everyone else's opinion.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Apr 2012, 19:10
    "I was pretty disappointed with Break Those Bones Who Sinews Gave It Motion when it was first posted, but it is one of the more simple and repetitive tracks on the album that eventually grew on me." - completely agree, at first it was quite underwhelming but it is one of the more addictive songs on the album for me. i love how Meshuggah pounds a riff into your brain relentlessly and then you find yourself head-banging to the memory of it :)

• "There are great ones and boring ones, but nothing Meshuggah hadn't done in a more spectacular way before." Exactly my thoughts, thedailygrind!

I honestly think Vildhjarta's debut outdone Meshuggah's last effort when it comes to recent djent releases.

• Well, Meshuggah is not a Djent band, though. Djent is what the youngsters made out that influence. ;)

• numetal -> metalcore -> deathcore -> djent -> ?

Young lads, please, stop killing metal.

And about Koloss, I've to listen to it a few more times before pronouncing my verdict, but I identify with Simon's review 100%

• What a lucky fuck I am:

• @thedailygrind: Lucky! :P

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Apr 2012, 10:20
    I agree with behind the sun being the best track. maybe followed by demiurge. I can't really imagine an evolution from these guys. they pretty much reached their peak. they just continue to put out great music following their own recipe. nothing wrong with that.

• I only know their actual song which was mentioned in the review, and I think it's a little bit boring both the video and the song. I wish I could say something else about this song or the album (which I have not heard to this point and will not be heard by me).

• KMFCM said...
    • User
    • 12 Apr 2012, 01:13
    they picked THEE WEAKEST song to do a video for.
    I like "behind the sun" and "demiurge" the best. "demiurge" seems so much more simple than anything they've done recently, and that just adds to how heavy it is.

"i'm looking over your shoulder, but only because I've got your back" - Stephen Colbert
  • KMFCM said:
    "demiurge" seems so much more simple than anything they've done recently, and that just adds to how heavy it is.
    I agree in terms of Demiurge. I also like Marrow a lot. But then the ice is getting thinner. So it comes down to like three tracks I really like, about another three I find solid and then there is real boring stuff like Swarm.

• Nobody noticed, that Future Breed Machine doesn't have a music video and it's not from Chaosphere. But that's just a fun fact.

The point with Meshuggah is that when you don't know them and listen to them, they are odd. When you get into them, they sound simple (or repetitive / boring like in this case with Koloss or random like some parts on Nothing). But their genius of song writting is hidden under this! ObZen and Koloss didn't work for me at the first time, except song like "Bleed". "Do Not Look Down" sounded first time boring, more of the same, but time showed me It's about decoding this and understand, that is why you can find something new in a old song everytime you listen to it. Stay METAL! Cheers!

• MnemicMunky said:
    Nobody noticed, that Future Breed Machine doesn't have a music video and it's not from Chaosphere. But that's just a fun fact.
    I was actually trying to look that video up and couldn't find it, so I guess it was some sort of a bootleg or live video. However, this video made me go to a record store and buy the one Meshuggah record that was available there, which was Chaosphere. I bought it, even though FBM wasn't on it. Fun fact!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2012, 01:05
    supostat said: I honestly think Vildhjarta's debut outdone Meshuggah's last effort when it comes to recent math releases.
    Math might be the more appropriate term... but generally I agree, even though Koloss is amazing.

grindthenoise said:
    numetal -> metalcore -> deathcore -> djent -> ?

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start...

As for Koloss the only songs I find somewhat boring are I Am Colossus, The Demon's Name Is Surveillance, & The Last Vigil... every other track is pretty damn epic IMO. Definitely not as accessible as obZen though, it seems they pace themselves up until the best breakdowns midway or towards the end of the songs. Also it doesn't seem as fluid as obZen (or Catch 33 obviously), I think the songs could have been arranged in a more appealing manner. Demuirge, Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion, or Swarm all would have been killer openers IMO.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Jun 2012, 16:18
    good review man.You said everything i had on my mind about the album and of course the whole trending thing with kids.Agreed

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.