Favourite Discworld Quote

• Favourite Discworld Quote

ok, so what's your fav quote from the discworld books?
    there are so many, but here's one of my personal favs, just to start the topic with:

THERE'S NO JUSTICE, THERE'S ONLY ME. :P

Life is full of doors that don't open when you knock, equally spaced amid those that open when you don't want them to
    • Soundhog said...
    • Subscriber
    • 16 May 2007, 00:21
    Must admit that "...one more Hi-ho hi-ho out of you bloody lawn ornaments and it's double-headed axe time, okay?" made me laugh.

I also remember something along the lines of "...the chord which, by law, must be played at the beginning of any Morris Dance to give innocent bystanders a chance to get away" but I cannot remember which book it was in : s Answers to that one in my shoutbox please, lol : )

Edited by Soundhog on 18 May 2007, 22:15
  • I like the way Terry phrases things, so one of my favourites is "When you're a cork in someone else's stream of consciousness, all you can do is spin and bob in the eddies."

• Deirdri said...
    • User
    • 20 May 2007, 13:57
    mm, i dunno if i have a fav one, but here is the last one i read ( 10 mins ago, actually ):

"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE"
    ( Feet of clay )

btw, its quite a weird topic for me, cuz i read the books in bulgarian, not in original, so its hard to find the translation. and i guess im not the only one with that kind of problem

anyway, c'mon people, lets make a collection of terry's best qotes :P

• Soundhog said...
    • Subscriber
    • 24 May 2007, 00:14
    "What would humans be without love?"
    "Rare" said Death. (Sourcery)

• lzo1 said...
    • User
    • 11 Sep 2007, 19:54
    I don't know how it was in English but Mort said something like:

"THE DEATH IS WHO WORKS AS DEATH"

polish wersion:
    "ŚMIERCIĄ JEST TEN KTO WYKONUJE PRACĘ ŚMIERCI".

• polten said...
    • User
    • 28 Sep 2007, 11:32
    The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a young woman. There was no possible way that she could have been mistaken for a young man in any language, especially Braille.

-- The goddess with the nice earrings (Terry Pratchett, Maskerade)

I like his way to exaggerate.

• polten said...
    • User
    • 28 Sep 2007, 11:43

Obiously .....

PEOPLE'S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED 'LIVING'.

-- (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent)

• Sehctam said...
    • User
    • 29 Dec 2007, 06:22
    Death: And what do you want for Christmas tiny human

• The war cry of the dwarfs: "Today is a good day for someone else to die!"

And one of Rincewind's favourite "I've seen excitement, and I've seen boredom. And boredom was best."

I gave my blood and I gave my soul
    I stood my ground and I took control
    The legend's growing as the story's told
    I pledge allegiance to the state, of ROCK AND ROLL
  • From "Thud!"...it's a rather long quote, but too nice to be left apart:

"Vimes had never got on with any game much more complex than darts. Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks round, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves."

The truth can be out there, but lies are inside your head.
  • I love the dwarfish war cry too and anything from Death.
    Vetinari is also great, I particularly like this one:
    "And when the Patrician was unhappy, he became very democratic. He found intricate and painful ways of spreading that unhappiness as far as possible." (Guards! Guards!)
    and this one: "'It'll end in trouble, my lord.'
    Lord Vetinari sighed. 'In my experience, practically everything does,' he said." (The Truth)

Entropy is a harsh mistress. Better be on the winning side.
  • I would pick "WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?". Nevertheless, I also dig "Ook" and "SQUEAK".

Music is my hot hot sex.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Dec 2008, 17:39
    "There's very good eating on one of these, you know."

http://homepages.tesco.net/~janefisk/discworld/discworld.htm

(not my homepage - just sharing the cake)

• "Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well-known fact." -Granny

In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - (The Hitchhikers Guide)
  • "There's still something about you I can't put my finger on, Bill Door," she said. "Wish I knew what it was."
    The seven-foot skeleton regarded her stoically. He felt there was nothing he could say.

[Reaper Man]

our blood our fault
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.