• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jul 2004, 04:58

what's your favorite disco?

let's share bands, singers that caught our ear

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Aug 2004, 08:54
    just got 2 CDs with Arabesque on it. Last time I've heard them was many years ago. Time to bring back those happy days...

• Albert take my pics away from your stupid homepage,you bastard!!!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 May 2005, 07:55
    woah, i got my own personal stalker :)

• Vorash said...
    • User
    • 19 Aug 2005, 13:28
    My favorite Disco artists are ABBA, Donna Summer, "Earth Wind & Fire", "Kool & The Gang", Arabesque and Boney M.

Edited by Vorash on 19 Aug 2005, 13:35
  • fave disco tracks:

the braxtons - the boss
    patrice rushen - haven't you heard
    van mc coy - the hustle
    a taste of honey - oogie boogie woogie
    TS monk - candidate for love
    de la soul - saturday
    earth wind & fire - cant hide love
    peter allen - not the boy next door
    sister sledge - he's the greatest dancer
    andrea mendez - bring me love (frankie knuckles mix)
    bob sinclar - i feel for you

...and there's more but i forgot..

i believe in the golden rule - the man with the gold...rules
  • I'm sorry but ABBA were not disco. They are the reason why people think disco music is cheesy and crap.

Earth Wind & Fire are possibly the greatest of all time. However, Michael Jackson has some of the most catchy, inspiring disco tunes ever written. Other ace amazing disco groups are Chic, Kool & The Gang, and Rick James. Yes.

• Juub005 said...
    • User
    • 4 Mar 2006, 02:59
    Um, no, ABBA did disco. ABBA did release like 5 disco songs as singles: Summer Night City, Lay All Your Love On Me [maybe], Voulez-Vous, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!, Dancing Queen; it's fairly undeniable.

• Yes, they played on the disco craze and gained commercial success from being labelled 'disco'. But disco originally comes from funk, if you check out all the true disco bands like Heatwave, EWF and Kool & the Gang, you'll see that they all have a strong element of funk about them. ABBA were merely European dance-pop music. and terrible.

The musicians in ABBA could never compete with real disco musicians, like Robert 'Kool' Bell, Bernie Edwards, Nile Rogers, Phillip Bailey, Rod Temperton et al.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Apr 2006, 07:04

thanks

thanks for all the names, Gav_et_al!

I've added all mentioned artists to our "Connections" list.

• unry said...
    • User
    • 7 Apr 2006, 07:42
    Well, it came from Philly Soul, too. Gamble & Huff. One of the best disco tracks *ever* is "Bad Luck" by Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes. That's even better than "Ten Percent" by Double Exposure.

But, yeah, of course, ABBA were pop, not disco.

• gwbook said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2006, 07:52
    chic, all edwards/rodgers productions, heatwave (temperton is great), georgeo moroder, salsoul.

anybody check out the "british hustle" compilation from soul jazz? very good funk/soul/disco from the uk 1974-1982.

i know they're big, obvious names, but i think daft punk and basement jaxx are great modern disco duos.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 May 2006, 11:16

Re:

Quoth gwbook:
    anybody check out the "british hustle" compilation from soul jazz? very good funk/soul/disco from the uk 1974-1982.

nope, but that's next on my to-do/to-listen-to list! Thanks!

• Fonque said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2006, 14:28
    without looking up, the following tracks come to my mind

El Coco - Cocomotion
    NYCC - I'll keep a light in my window
    Cloud One - Spaced Out
    Inner Life - Ain't no mountain high enough
    Lipps Inc. - Funky Town

“The world consists of villains and fools; of those who devour and those who are devoured. People are like animals; they copulate and eat each other. They weak do not deserve pity, they are just as abominable, only more stupid than strong. The world is vile.”
    • Fonque said...
    • User
    • 27 May 2006, 14:31
    concerning Abba-Disco... listen to the "Stars on 45"-Abba-medley - pure disco ;-)

“The world consists of villains and fools; of those who devour and those who are devoured. People are like animals; they copulate and eat each other. They weak do not deserve pity, they are just as abominable, only more stupid than strong. The world is vile.”
    • yogis said...
    • User
    • 7 Jun 2006, 21:11
    does anybody have that "stars on 45 song list?"

my favorite artist are:
    Bay city rollers (i gues that they have played disco songs. The song saturday night in film of "spirit of 76`s" tells that)
    KC & the sunshine band ( gues that is disco too)

Disco rocks
  • Juub005 said:
    Um, no, ABBA did disco. ABBA did release like 5 disco songs as singles: Summer Night City, Lay All Your Love On Me [maybe], Voulez-Vous, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!, Dancing Queen; it's fairly undeniable.

Of course, just listen to the album "Voulez-Vous" and it's pure Disco. Songs like "As Good As New", "If It Wasn't For The Nights", "Angel Eyes" and of course, the fabulous "Voulez-Vous"...

So, ABBA was a Pop band, but they did amazing Disco songs as well.

• The whole root of disco is funk. Listen to any of the major 70's disco groups - Earth Wind & Fire, Kool & The Gang, Chic, etc. They all have a strong element of funk about them.

There is nothing remotely funk about ABBA.

• I love Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor...
    Oh my God, when she stars to sing: "I will survive..." I can't Stop to dance!

What about Village People? And Chic?
    They were fantastic!

• Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor are fantastic. Chic are one of the best disco bands of all time.

Village people.... hmm.... ;)

• zyzik_ said...
    • User
    • 7 Jan 2007, 19:02
    the trammps - disco inferno! are the best !! ;d nothing elese ;d

• Tr1xx said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2007, 15:02
    Latecomer to this thread I know, but what the heck...

Abba definitely weren't (or should I say aren't) disco. It's not just the music, but rather the image... the whole 'scene'. In the late 70s and early 80s, real disco DJ's wouldn't dare play an Abba track. It just wasn't done. Not to say their music wasn't good, it just wasn't appropriate' in that context. Trust me, I know.... I was there. Younger folks (anyone under 40) can never appreciate what 'disco' meant at the time. It was a really powerful phenomenon. Watch the movie 'Boogie Nights' for a real flavour of what I mean. Not an Abba song in sight.

Apart from the obvious artists mentioned already, my personal faves are Candi Staton and Evelyn "Champagne" King, but that's a tough call. Donna Summer has the greatest 'depth' of material... loads of great albums. Incidentally, she's still got a superb, powerful voice. She really was (and is) the queen of disco.

For anyone vaguely interested, check out my personal 70s disco top '100' at http://www.last.fm/user/Tr1xx/journal/2006/04/11/113461, and also, my disco tagset (over 370) at http://www.last.fm/user/Tr1xx/tags/disco

So much music, so little time on this Earth to play it all. . .
    but the Global Jukebox simply keeps on playing . . .
    • anderai said...
    • Subscriber
    • 23 Jul 2007, 01:37
    My taste in Disco includes Patrick Adams (Cloud One etc.), Chic, Tom Moulton's productions, Arthur Russell, Giorgio Moroder, Sylvester/Patrick Cowley, Joey Negro, Harold Melvin, Sister Sledge....etc etc.

One of my favourite compilations is Kenny Dope - Disco Heat, a 3cd set from a few years ago which has one mixed CD and two unmixed. Some great tracks (a fair few which were unknown to me) from the more soulful funky side of disco.

• ourari said...
    • User
    • 15 Aug 2007, 12:32
    Just a quick list of performers:

A Taste of Honey
    Aquarian Dream
    Azymuth
    Brainstorm
    Camouflage
    Cappucino
    Cerrone
    Chaka Khan
    Coffee
    D-Train
    Double Exposure
    EW&F
    Ed Motta
    Ednah Holt
    Eddie Kendricks
    Evelyn "Champagne" King
    Fat Larry's Band
    First Choice
    Gwen McCrae
    Instant Funk
    Jackie Moore
    Joe Bataan
    Klique
    Lenny Williams
    Logg
    Loleatta Holloway
    Loose Joints
    Love Committee
    Main Ingredient
    Martha Wash
    MFSB
    Norman Connors
    Patti Jo
    Patrice Rushen
    Robin Beck
    Salsoul Orchestra
    Shalamar
    Sharon Redd
    Skyy
    Sly & the Family Stone
    Sparque
    Sylvester
    Sylvia Striplin
    T-Connection
    Tamiko Jones
    The Jackson Sisters
    Unlimited Touch

I'm not saying I like every track these people did, nor am I implying that all they did was disco. Most of these people/groups made at least two tracks I dig.
    The list is far from complete. I left out everything after the mid 80s (except for Ed Motta).
    And yeah, Kenny Dope's Disco Heat is a very nice compilation :)
    If you like that, you're probably going to like Mateo & Matos / Classic Inspirations. And there is an amateur DJ called Rahaan which doesn't do a great job, but he has a nose for ultra rare but very cool disco tracks. And if you can track down his e-mail address, he doesn't mind telling you which track is which in his sets.

• anderai said...
    • Subscriber
    • 16 Aug 2007, 17:32
    ... a few compilations worth getting

Edits By Mr K (Strut)....compilation of classic disco mixes by Danny Krivit.

Disco Juice Vol.1 (Counterpoint)...more of Patrick Adams production genius.
    The Master Of The Masterpiece - The Very Best Of Mr Patrick Adams (P&P/Traffic)
    A Tom Moulton Mix (Soul Jazz)

some mid-price ones I got recently (all 2CD each) on Union Square Music:

Disco Sessions
    80s Groove Sessions
    80s Groove 2 Sessions

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.