Best songs from the 80's

• Best songs from the 80's

The 80's are widely known as the "bad Bowie century" (exception, of course, "Scary monsters"), but actually I think he managed to do some more-than-decent songs during those nine (1981-1989).

What do you think? Which are you ten best songs from the 80's?

You know me, I'm acting dumb-dumb
    You know this scene is very humdrum
    And my favourite song's entitled "Boredom"
    • jbembe said...
    • User
    • 2 Feb 2005, 14:28
    When did China Girl come out?

• Re:

Quoth jbembe:
    When did China Girl come out?

In 1983. Is that your fave song from the 80's, then?

• Fonque said...
    • User
    • 2 Feb 2005, 18:10
    "Modern Love" and "Ashes to Ashes" (beacause of the reminiscence to "Mayor Tom")

“The world consists of villains and fools; of those who devour and those who are devoured. People are like animals; they copulate and eat each other. They weak do not deserve pity, they are just as abominable, only more stupid than strong. The world is vile.”
  • I listened to "Girls" today and I actually think it's a great tune. Some tacky guitars, though, but his vocals...! My God!

• hmm. Hands Down...

I'd have to hit David up for Labyrinth. I like China Girls, but it's really this soundtrack that gives me love and respect for Bowie's comedown during the 80's.

~Tai

"To exorcise the demons of memory, it is sometimes necessary to tell them as a story" -Isabel Allende, The Stories of Eva Luna
  • "Modern Love" and "Ashes to Ashes" (beacause of the reminiscence to "Mayor Tom")

Oh my god. When did Major Tom become Mayor? I didn't even know he was running for public office. That's just what we need, another junkie politician.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Apr 2005, 01:12
    I really like Iggy Pop's original of 'China Girl' because it's got this really nervous, edgy, definition post-punk sound - the lyric 'visions of swasticas in my head' or whatever it is sounds way more at home there. 'Cause Bowie's version of this with all the studio trickery and over-abundance of typically competent session musicians doesn't cut it for me, I'm gonna say Modern Love.

Modern Love is fun!

• I'm going to be cliche & say "Ashes to Ashes". I hate the music he made in the 80's era, it was pretty sad.

• Re:

Quoth zingringo:
    I really like Iggy Pop's original of 'China Girl' because it's got this really nervous, edgy, definition post-punk sound - the lyric 'visions of swasticas in my head' or whatever it is sounds way more at home there. 'Cause Bowie's version of this with all the studio trickery and over-abundance of typically competent session musicians doesn't cut it for me

Bowie produced the album that Iggy's version of China Girl came out on (The Idiot). Not only that but David and Iggy wrote all the songs on that album together! It's worth a listen to, but if you're into Bowie it's likely you'll be into Iggy too :)

As for my favourite from the 80s, probably most of the Let's Dance and Scary Monsters albums :)

• "This Is Not America" sha la la la la ...

There's a monologue in "Anyway The Wind Blows" movie (by Tom Barman), where one character says that 80's were Bowie's best era - Let's Dance, Absolute Beginners, This Is Not America - all great songs :-)

"You're entitled to shit!"
    Tony Soprano
  • "This Is Not America" sha la la la la ...

There's a monologue in "Anyway The Wind Blows" movie (by Tom Barman), where one character says that 80's were Bowie's best era - Let's Dance, Absolute Beginners, This Is Not America - all great songs :-)

"You're entitled to shit!"
    Tony Soprano
  • Re:

Quoth zingringo:
    I really like Iggy Pop's original of 'China Girl' because it's got this really nervous, edgy, definition post-punk sound

I agree - Pop's version is great, and this feel you describe is what I like about Iggy Pop as a whole.
    Might bear mentioning that Iggy Pop's version came out in '77, so it's not an 80's song per-se.

• I absolutely love the albums "Scary Monsters" and "Let's Dance". They're two of my favorite albums of all time, and my two favorite Bowie albums, so I never really get why people are so down on him in the 80s. "Tonight" was not a good album, and "Tin Machine" is pretty awful stuff, but then again, I'd say the "Young Americans" album is fairly weak overall too, and so are the instrumental tracks on "Heroes", etc. I love Bowie overall, he's my favorite of all time, but I guess it goes with the territory of a man who's done so many different styles and so many albums: People won't agree on much of anything. Hopefully we all can see some good in all of his work as fans, though. If we're all even fans here at all! So anyway, I'll throw together a list of a top ten as requested:

(in no particular order)
    1. Ashes To Ashes
    2. Loving The Alien
    3. Teenage Wildlife
    4. Modern Love
    5. Criminal World
    6. Cat People
    7. Under Pressure
    8. China Girl
    9. As The World Falls Down
    10. Time Will Crawl

• My Bowie 80s Favourites

01_Ashes To Ashes
    02_Fashion
    03_Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
    04_Up The Hill Backwards
    05_Modern Love
    07_Let's Dance
    08_Under Pressure
    09_Never Let Me Down
    10_Loving The Alien
    11_Blue Jean
    12_Beat of Your Drum
    13_Cat People (Putting Out Fire) (Soundtrack Version)
    14_Absolute Beginners
    15_It's No Game (Part 1)

___in no particular order

• I'll leave out Scary Monsters, 'coz that's a perfect album. Maybe my fave. :)

I really like "Absolute Beginners", I think that's the best song from the 1983/89 period. The singles of "Let's Dance" are good pop too, but "AB" has something deeper in it for me...

Also "Loving The Alien" is a great one. But the best version of this song is the way Bowie performed it only with Gerry Leonard's guitar during the "Reality" tour. That was an awsome version!

Say Hello Wave Goodbye
    • Tiger7 said...
    • User
    • 19 Jan 2006, 20:42
    If I had to pick one it would be 'Loving The Alien'

• Good topic!! :)

Ashes to Ashes
    Fashion
    It's no Game
    Teenage Wildlife
    Cat People
    Loving The Alien
    This Is Not America
    Absolute Beginners
    Girls
    When The Wind Blows

• Because You're Young. Love that Townshend guitar.

• Bad Bowie decade, right whitestreet?

Anyway, yeah hate most of the 80's, but Tonight as a whole isn't all that bad. The title track and Blue Jean are pretty good I think.

Tables fear the illustrious and proud,
    Mock Cane,
    If there ever was such a name.
    • mjoff said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2006, 18:52
    If you leave out the Scary Monsters album I'd have to go for the non-album tracks, like Under Pressure, When The Wind Blows, Absolute Beginners, Girls and This Is Not America. And then Time Will Crawl is a fantastic song from a less than fantastic album. Oh, and Ricochet, Modern Love and Cat People (both versions) from Let's Dance.

• I'll leave out Scary Monsters because that seems to be the trend.

I haven't listened to a lot of the 80's Bowie stuff (even though I do love 80's music) but I liked: Let's Dance, Modern Love, Blue Jean, This is not America and Under Pressure.

• 1. Never Let Me Down
    2. Zeroes
    3. Ashes To Ashes
    4. Crack City
    5. I Can't Read
    6. Amazing

• All of Scary Monsters (it's a given really)
    Absolute Beginners
    This is not America
    Loving the Alien
    China Girl
    Let's Dance
    Cat People (Putting out Fire)
    Underground
    As the World Falls Down
    Under Pressure
    Baal's Hymn
    Nothing from Never Let me Down

• well I don't like Bowie's 80's albums ( except Scary Monsters of course) and I really love Ashes To Ashes so many great melodies in one song, very good lyrics, absolutely fantastic vocals etc...
    and other songs from that era?
    I like: teenage wildlife, it's no game (part 2)
    This Is Not America,
    let's dance
    magic fance

nothing from albums Tonight or Never Let Me Down, I hate that awful drum beat used in almost every song of every pop musician in 80's , also Bowie's China Girl is too "sweet" for my teeth :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.