When did Bowie begin to rule your music collection?

• When did Bowie begin to rule your music collection?

Let's kick off some discussion. :)

How long has Bowie ruled your iPod, other portable music player, and/or music collection?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jan 2008, 11:03
    itr's a long story i have told about 1000 times and now again, i was 12 years (or 13) in 1977 -78 and started to get ''into'' music, mostly comerciel stuff, but i loved that one song 'heroes' of David Bowie and somwhere i liked 'space oddity' because it where ''dangerous'' songs , it was something else then the things i listen to usual. Then in 1980 i started to get into New Wave (The Cure) Punk (The Kids, belgium Punk) and ROXY MUSIC. I buy this album ''scary Monsters(super creeps)" of david Bowie and i loveddddddd "Ashes to Ashes ' and " Fashion'' but still i was not a hug fan as now. later there was '' let's dance'' and i had a love/hate relationship with that album, the other things of the 80's where not completly my thing and i started to loose my interesst in Bowie, i was a new waver then , and still. after seen him on stage in 1987 i started to get a little bit into him again, but not enough..; till 1996, "1.outside'' in the mean time i was into some electro to, drum&bass, ambient, those things and Bowie's album came just on time, from that time and the gigs those two year 1996-1997 i was a biggeer fan then ever, more I finaly found out that Bowie was the reason i started listen to Punk/New Wave, the reason i became fan of Roxy Music, the reason i keep try new things.. David Bowie is my ''red line'' true allll lmy music taste, in the past, present and the futur
    wooow big text hehe

• Well, I started listening to David this september. My sister likes his music, so I listen his fantastic song from her. The first album I've listen to is The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2008, 06:59
    you sister rulllllez :)

• December 13, 2006 - haha I even remember the date! That was when I first heard Bowie's "Life on Mars?"

One of my favorite bands, the Dresden Dolls, covered Life on Mars occasionally live. And a bit of their cover is heard in the background of their Live at the Paradise dvd. And the first time I heard it I was awed, but it faded right after the first chorus, and I thought, "I've got to hear the rest of this song!"

It took me while, but when I finally heard Bowie's original... I was left speechless. I knew that this song and artist had just raised the bar for all music I would listen to subsequently and changed my perception of music. (I know that may sound a bit dramatic, but it's true :D )

• Bowie was the reason i started listen to Punk/New Wave, the reason i became fan of Roxy Music, the reason i keep try new things..

Cool :)

Thanks to Bowie, I've started listening to bands and artists that perhaps I wouldn't have otherwise too. And it's cool that he has that influence of making people try new things and perhaps be more adventurous.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2008, 11:26
    it's what happend to me too, it seems like everyone says ''it took me a while '' to get into Bowie that's just because his music is soo complicated and every album is 'new' you can't put his music in 'one style' like other bands, he have all kinda of fans, even my wife who is into pure pop music likes bowie, the bowie of the 80's, because of that it's not easy to get into his music , it took me about 20 years to realise that

• Easy - the first album I bought with my own money was DAvid Bowie's Heroes...I bought it as it was the first "ädult" music that I really liked when I heard someone playing it

Since then - the BOwie collection has just grown and grown...I am one of those people who will buy an albuum version if I haven't got it !!!

• Well, since last summer. I was addicted to Ashes to ashes and china girl first, and for some reason i didnt understand bowie had made more great music back then. It took a while, But then I downloaded his discography... and thats when he started to rule my ipod :'D .

• it was 1998- i was six when i first heard a bowie song- space oddity- it was love at first listen...?!

• I bought Hours when it first came out in 1999, I liked it but didn't turn me into a fan. Then over a year ago I saw the Vittel water commercial which made me want to listen to anything from the Ziggy years, so I started with the first Ziggy album which I thought was mind blowing, I listened to all the Ziggy albums and was totally crazy over them then jumped to his latest Reality and also found it amazing.

Ever since I've downloaded all his albums, loved all of them (some more than others), turned into a rabid Bowie collector...a total Bowie addict.

I knew that this song and artist had just raised the bar for all music I would listen to subsequently and changed my perception of music.
    My sentiments exactly.

• i think it was about 10 months ago when i first heart changes.. i loved it at once! a few weeks later my music collection was dominated by david bowie ;)

• I don't remember the first time I heard David Bowie, since my mother always liked him and played the LPs when I was a kid. But the real interest began when I was twelve, late autumn 2005 I guess, when she bought Ziggy and Hunky Dory as CDs; of course I recognized some of the songs and kind of "decided" that this was something I wanted to listen at. And, ever since that, Mr Bowie has been ruling all of my playlists :)

• Ennish said...
    • User
    • 9 Feb 2010, 08:58
    It started in September of 2009 with a little album called The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. For my first Bowie album, I really liked it, but it wasn't until I listened to "Heroes" that I wanted to obtain any and every song that I liked from Bowie, gathering music from the CDs I bought as well as my dad's CDs. I'm pretty sure that, by November, Bowie became the most prolific artist in my music library.

• since I was 7 years old and I was looking through my dads albums and records , I saw David Bowie's cd and Record , they were both signed by him!
    so i thought it was weird because I never seen a man with two different eyes that are shaped differently. so my dad made me listen to Diamond Dogs on my way to see my grandma in vancouver, i loved it and my dad said to me about 8 years later he swore that i said on our road trip "play it again! play it again!" and we had to listen to the cd about 7 times! XD

Still today 9 years later i'm still listening to bowie :D

I barely go on Last.fm though but on Itunes David bowie is my 1st top played artist besides Lady Gaga, Queen, The Doors, Michael Jackson, Green Day and Avril Lavigne:D

I'll probably be listening to Bowie when I'm 60 years old!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Jul 2011, 10:35
    I discovered him two months ago when I was downloading some music on an (illegal, but shhh...) application. I was searching for something else when I saw "Let's Dance - David Bowie" in the list. It was there by mistake and I just remembered we had a picture of him in our English class book. So I picked it and I loved the catchy sound of it. So I searched for more and discovered his tracks from the seventies. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I started with Let's Dance, but it still made me download all his albums.

• It's a shame really, but I got to know him better this september. Let's Dance was the only song I knew before, and I adored it a lot, but it took a long time for me to discover that he's an entirely new dimension in music.
    So this september, I found Waiting for the Man, and Lady Grinning Soul, and after that, I downloaded Aladdin Sane and I just totally fell in love with him and his music.

• first of all, I'm not an english speaker so sorry if I write something wrong, hehe ....well it started the 2 years ago, a friend of mine it's a crazy David lover so she just showed me one song, just one song 'Aladdin Sane' and I instantly fell in love with the piano solo, I've never listened something like that before so I asked her for more songs, she wrote in a paper her fav albums so I went to my home so excited waiting for more music! When I started I fell in love with Space Oddity, then I went with 'David Bowie' and Laughing Gnome made me laugh, then Hunky Dory was so funny to me and Let's Dance made my body want to dance, then I knew about the Berlin Trilogy (my fav 3 David's albums with The Next Day) and now he just fascinates me, everything about him makes me wanna shake, he's an awesome artist, his chameleon soul and music it's such an inspiration so now i'm obsessed with him (in the best way, of course) and I've bought just 4 of his records, I want his entire collection (except for some album that... i need to say it... i don't like it... or well i didn't get too much into them like Heathen and Hours....) :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.