Sad Classical Music?

• Lijder said...
    • User
    • 9 Mar 2009, 15:41

Sad Classical Music?

I really like the famous Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, also because it is a bit sad music (I don't know how else to describe it), while many other classical music is pretty 'happy'. I would like to hear more, somewhat slower, sadder classical music, preferably from the romantic period but that doesn't really matter. Sugestions?

• Sarkoni said...
    • User
    • 9 Mar 2009, 21:57
    Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings, Op. 11

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Mar 2009, 01:29
    I would like to suggest Philip Glass. His music has often been called "minimalism", though Glass himself prefers to call his music something like... "modern american romanticism". I think his own description is quite adequate.

But Glass' music is minimalistic too, even if he doesn't admit it himself ;)

Anyhow... There are lots of pieces - composed by Glass - which are really sad (in my opinion, that is)... e.g. almost all tracks on the album The Hours

• Henryk Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (also known as his 3rd Symphony) is as sad as you can get. Well, hey, it has 'Sorrowful' in the title!

Listen to the second movement for a taster: Song II (Lento e Largo)

• Rachmaninov's "The clocks", a poem for orchestra, choir and voices op.35, with text by E. A. Poe is dark and sad.

• apart from the above, I'd recommend:

* Stabat Mater (1736) by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi
    * Dirge from 'Romeo and Juliet' (ca. 1750) by William Boyce
    * The second movement (Adagio cantabile) from Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 "Pathétique" (1799) by Ludwig van Beethoven
    * Prelude in E minor Op. 28 no. 4 (1839) by Frédéric Chopin
    * The Kyrie from 'Petite messe solemnelle' (1863) by Gioacchino Rossini
    * The Andante cantabile from String Quartet No. 1 in D major, Op. 11 (1871) by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
    * The song cycle 'Sunless' (1874) by Modest Mussorgsky
    * Kol Nidrei, Adagio on Hebrew melodies, Op. 47 (1880) by Max Bruch
    * The Swan of Tuonela, Op. 22 No. 2 by Jean Sibelius
    * Sicilienne, Op. 78 (1898) by Gabriel Fauré
    * The third movement (Ruhevol) from Symphony No. 4 in G major (1900) by Gustav Mahler
    * The Adagietto from Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor (1903) by Gustav Mahler
    * The Adagio from Symphony No. 9 in D major (1910) by Gustav Mahler
    * The Adagio from Symphony No. 10 in F sharp minor (unfinished except for this movement) by Gustav Mahler
    * The Lark Ascending (1914) by Ralph Vaughan Williams
    * Miroir de Peine (1923) by Hendrik Andriessen
    * Violin Concerto 'dem Andenken eines Engels' (1935) by Alban Berg
    * The Second Movement (Andante) from Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 14 (1939) by Samuel Barber
    * Metamorphosen (1945) by Richard Strauss
    * Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten (1977) by Arvo Pärt
    * Summa (1978) by Arvo Pärt
    * Festina Lente (1988) by Arvo Pärt
    * The Wound Dresser (1989) by John Adams

All are beautifully slow and sad, at least in my opinion
    I hope this helps

• KZ said...
    • User
    • 16 Mar 2009, 17:36
    shostakovich

piano concerto No. 2, 2nd mvmt

first thing that comes to mind.

• This is sad and dark as fuck.

• Pretty much any Requiem is sad.

My favourite ones being those by Mozart and Verdi. But something is telling me, that you already know Mozart's Requiem, it's extremely well-known =]. Even Verdi's Requiem isn't exactly a "forgotten piece of music"... Ahh whatever =]

From contemporary classical music, try Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell.

• www.simplesmenteslua.blogspot.com

I recommend Mozart -Requiem
    But you can find many sad,happy and wonderful musics in my Blog.www.simplesmenteslua.blogspot.com
    You can visit and give your opinion about it.
    Thanks

MozartRequiem

Sálua
  • Sergei Rachmaninoff - The Isle of the Dead, Op. 29

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Nov 2009, 23:29

Purcell

The funeral march of queen Mary || verrryyyy sad!!!!

• Try lute songs by John Dowland, many of them are rather sad.

• Well a sad moment

1812 Ouverture from Tchakovisky

• Albinoni's Adagio In G Minor (always makes me feel sad) ... and Mozart's Requiem

• bgprior said...
    • User
    • 1 Dec 2009, 03:20
    Sibelius - Valse Triste
    Grieg - Åse's Death and Solveig's Song (from Peer Gynt).
    Rodrigo - 2nd movements of Concierto de Aranjuez, Concierto en moto galante and Concierto Andaluz, and Espanoleta from Fantasia para un Gentilhombre
    Beethoven - Symphony No.7, 2nd movement (Allegretto), Symphony No.3, 2nd movement (Marcia funebre), and several of his piano sonatas (e.g. Pathetique and Appassionata)
    Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2 movts. 1 & 2, Symphony No.2, 3rd movt. (Adagio), and Barcarolle from Fantasie-Tableaux
    Debussy - Sarabande from Suite pour le piano
    Granados - The Maiden and the Nightingale from Goyescas and Oriental from Spanish Dances
    Mussorgsky - The Old Castle and Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition

• Արամ Խաչատրյան - "Gayane's Adagio" (from Gayane Suite No. 3)

This piece will be familiar to anyone who has seen Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey": it's the music that accompanies the first shot of Discovery One drifting slowly through space.

• Much of Grieg (whom someone has already mentioned) and Sibelius - maybe because both of them are from the frozen north.

But, some of the absolutely saddest music I've ever heard, maybe because it always reminds me of the memorial concert after the Israeli deaths at the '68 Munich Olympics, is the beginning section of Egmont Overture. The first 5 notes, especially, just tear into my soul.

Another, also associated with funerary music, although not "classical" in the classic sense, is definitely written in the classic chant style:
    Pie Jesu

My super-eclectic music score is currently

613/1000

• Albinoni's Adagio for G strings:(

• Trios

The Trio in A minor, Op. 50 for piano, violin, and cello by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky fairly drips with pathos, particularly the first movement which is tellingly called Pezzo elegiaco. It was written in memory of a close friend of Tchaikovsky. If you like this piece, you will probably like another piano trio, Trio élégiaque in D minor, Op. 9, composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff in memory of Tchaikovsky shortly after his death.

• marq_au said...
    • User
    • 9 Dec 2010, 13:24
    Song for Athene by John Tavener and The Lark Ascending (already mentioned in alleseter's list above) I listened to recently are both very beautiful and kind of sad.

• Doesn't anyone mention Satie? Gimnopedies? It's melancholic but also very sad

• marq_au said...
    • User
    • 13 Jan 2011, 14:58
    Yes, Satie is beautiful too.

• Lou Harrison – Elegy, To The Memory Of Calvin Simmons (Studio)

Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky – Pictures at an Exhibition: Sam

Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky – The Old Castle

Dmitri Shostakovich – Symphony No. 5 In D Minor, Op.47 - Iii. Largo

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day. ~Vincent Van Gogh

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.