'Classic' Rock Bands - Master List Discussion

• 'Classic' Rock Bands - Master List Discussion

In another thread,
    Valdens said:
    Hm, perhaps we should assemble some type of masterlist, of every Classic Rock artist everyone at this forum knows of. It'd be fun to see some of the more obscure stuff that gets included.

Listed below are the 200 bands from our 'artist connections' in alphabetical order. There would likely be more than 200, but 200 is the limit set by last.fm.

Feel free to suggest which bands, in your opinion, don't belong, but it really won't matter since someone else already thinks they do. ;)

The real question is, Who else does belong? :)

AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    Alice Cooper
    America
    American Flyer
    April Wine
    Arlo Guthrie
    Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    Bad Company
    Bay City Rollers
    Big Brother & The Holding Company
    Billy Joel
    Billy Squier
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Black Sabbath
    Blackfoot
    Blue Öyster Cult
    Boston
    Buddy Holly
    Buffalo Springfield
    Canned Heat
    Captain Beyond
    Carole King
    Cheap Trick
    Chicago
    Chuck Berry
    Cream
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Dan Fogelberg
    David Bowie
    David Gilmour
    Deep Purple
    Derek and the Dominos
    Dire Straits
    Don McLean
    Donovan
    Duane Allman
    Eagles
    Eddie Money
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Elton John
    Elvis Presley
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    Eric Clapton
    Fairport Convention
    Fleetwood Mac
    Foghat
    Foreigner
    Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
    Frank Zappa
    Free
    Frijid Pink
    Genesis
    Gentle Giant
    George Harrison
    George Thorogood & The Destroyers
    Gerry & The Pacemakers
    Golden Earring
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Grateful Dead
    Gregg Allman
    Guns N' Roses
    Harry Chapin
    Head East
    Heart
    Herman's Hermits
    It's A Beautiful Day
    J.J. Cale
    Jack Bruce
    Jackson Browne
    James Taylor
    Janis Joplin
    Jay and The Americans
    Jefferson Airplane
    Jefferson Starship
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Jethro Tull
    Jim Croce
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Buffett
    Joe Cocker
    Joe Walsh
    John Fahey
    John Fogerty
    John Lennon
    John Mellencamp
    Joni Mitchell
    Journey
    Judas Priest
    Kansas
    King Crimson
    Lake
    Led Zeppelin
    Little Feat
    Little Richard
    Lou Reed
    Love
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Manfred Mann
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    Mason Profitt
    Meat Loaf
    Molly Hatchet
    Montrose
    Nazareth
    Neil Young
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Pat Travers
    Peter Frampton
    Phish
    Pink Floyd
    Poco
    Procol Harum
    Pure Prairie League
    Queen
    Ram Jam
    Robin Trower
    Rod Stewart
    Roy Orbison
    Rush
    Santana
    Savoy Brown
    Sex Pistols
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Slade
    Spooky Tooth
    Starcastle
    Steppenwolf
    Steve Miller Band
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Styx
    Suzi Quatro
    Sweet
    T. Rex
    Ted Nugent
    Ten Years After
    The 5th Dimension
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Animals
    The Association
    The Band
    The Beach Boys
    The Beatles
    The Box Tops
    The Byrds
    The Cars
    The Clash
    The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
    The Cult
    The Cyrkle
    The Dirty Mac
    The Doobie Brothers
    The Doors
    The Edgar Winter Group
    The Everly Brothers
    The Flying Burrito Brothers
    The Guess Who
    The Hollies
    The Incredible String Band
    The J. Geils Band
    The James Gang
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Kinks
    The Lovin' Spoonful
    The Mama's & The Papas
    The Marshall Tucker Band
    The Moody Blues
    The Outlaws
    The Police
    The Rascals
    The Rolling Stones
    The Searchers
    The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
    The Small Faces
    The Tubes
    The Turtles
    The Velvet Underground
    The Waterboys
    The Who
    The Yardbirds
    The Youngbloods
    Thin Lizzy
    Three Dog Night
    Tin Machine
    Todd Rundgren
    Triumvirat
    UFO
    Uriah Heep
    Utopia
    Van der Graaf Generator
    Van Halen
    Van Morrison
    Vanilla Fudge
    Whitesnake
    Wings
    Wishbone Ash
    Yes
    ZZ Top

Edited by gary_lankford on 10 Dec 2006, 16:44
  • looks good
    the sex pistols the supremes and the smiths maybe ?

come as you are
    as you were as i want you to be
    come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy

an cuimhin leat an gra. cra croi an ghra . ta gliondar sa saol cuardaimis e

perfection is not good enough
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 09:36
    Sex Pistols is punk.

It almost delivered me a stroke to see that Rory Gallagher is missing on that list.

lets replace Whitesnake with Rory shall we? I know about their roots (deep purple) but starting in the late 70's and getting known for their glamour/hair rock ...

I mean if you got space to spare but with only 200 connections you gotta make the right choices ....

:D

• InflatableMouse said:
    Sex Pistols is punk.

It almost delivered me a stroke to see that Rory Gallagher is missing on that list.

lets replace Whitesnake with Rory shall we? I know about their roots (deep purple) but starting in the late 70's and getting known for their glamour/hair rock ...

I mean if you got space to spare but with only 200 connections you gotta make the right choices ....

:D

Perhaps we should shotgun last.fm with demands for an expanded allotment? :)

We'll let the thread run for awhile and see where it goes...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 14:16
    I wasn't really serious of course. ... It's all in good fun but a forum not always carries my posts in the right spirit.

• Why not be serious about it! I have to agree that if we are limited to 200 artists, the best 200 should be listed.

Artist connections are fairly important to the group. A fair number of members come by way of an artist page that lists Classic Rock among its connected groups.

While I would prefer just to keep adding artists to the list, that isn't possible. All I really meant by my reply was that we should give this thread a bit more time to develop and see what the consensus is.

I agree with you that Rory Gallagher should be listed and that there are probably some less worthy already there.

After there are a few more response, I will start listing them as alternates in the first post. ;)

And I do understand how humor is hard to transmit in a post. Smilies can only do so much. :)

• :) :D :) :D :)

• InflatableMouse said:
    Sex Pistols is punk.

oh and the clash isnt ?

come as you are
    as you were as i want you to be
    come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy

an cuimhin leat an gra. cra croi an ghra . ta gliondar sa saol cuardaimis e

perfection is not good enough
  • Rainbow could be considered classic rock, I hear Man On The Silver Mountain played on classic rock radio stations

• Mountain as well

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 16:58
    gary_lankford said:
    Why not be serious about it! I have to agree that if we are limited to 200 artists, the best 200 should be listed.

OKE! ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 17:50
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 17:53
    The Cyrkle ?
    The Dirty Mac ?

I have Never in my life heard of these bands/artists. So they can't be that classic?. If by "classic" means widely known, and has been on the charts, and people still buy their classic albums today.
    But I could be way off ;)

• The Guess Who should be on that list.

• TheMuffin-Man said:
    The Guess Who should be on that list.

The Guess Who are on the list.

higginz said:
    The Cyrkle ?
    The Dirty Mac ?

I have Never in my life heard of these bands/artists. So they can't be that classic?. If by "classic" means widely known, and has been on the charts, and people still buy their classic albums today.
    But I could be way off ;)

"The Dirty Mac is the name for the grouping of rock musicians John Lennon (vocal, rhythm guitar), Eric Clapton (lead guitar), Keith Richards (bass) and Mitch Mitchell (drums) at The Rolling Stones' ill-fated TV special entitled The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus." I think it was tarkus who suggested they be added.

"The Cyrkle was a 1960s American rock and roll band. The band was formed by guitarists Don Danneman and Tom Dawes while studying at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania. They were originally a "frat" band called The Rhondells; they were later discovered and managed by Brian Epstein, who was better known as manager of The Beatles, with John Lennon providing their new name.

The Cyrkle is best known for their 1966 song "Red Rubber Ball", which went to #2 in America; it was co-written by Paul Simon of Simon & Garfunkel and Bruce Woodley of The Seekers. The band had one more Top 20 hit, "Turn-Down Day" later in 1966, and then disbanded after Epstein's death."

They were rather 'poppy' even as compared to groups like 'The Lovin' Spoonful' and 'The Association'. I'm responsible for them being on the list. They used to get a fair amount of air time, even into the early 90's mostly for 'Red Rubber Ball' and 'Turn Down Day'. There is one song in particular that I really like, titled 'Reading Her Paper'.

Both of these bands seem likely candidates for substitution.

• ^^^

I didn't think to look under "T". I just looked under "G" then critisized.

• TheMuffin-Man said:
    ^^^

Like you said, The Guess Who should be in the list! :)

In this case the name of the group is actually 'The Guess Who' so filing them under G would be wrong.

In the case of the Grateful Dead the name of the band is actually 'Grateful Dead' so they get filed under G.

Some would argue that Neil Young should get filed under Y, but I disagree. The name of the man is Neil Young and his birth and school records may get filed under Y, but the artist is Neil Young; you don't find Young, Neil on his album covers. Think about it, 'Young, Neil and Crazy Horse' would be pretty stupid.

As always just my opinion... ;)

• Valdens said...
    • User
    • 26 Nov 2006, 23:34
    Well, i noticed Freddie Mercury is missing from the list! he most certainly needs to be on it. Also, possibly Roger Waters.

• They were kind of one hit wonders but I think The Chambers Brothers should be on there. Time Has Come Today being the one hit wonder track.

The Spencer Davis Group probably should be too. I'm a Man

Meanwhile having listened to Classic Rock for somewhere around twenty years now, there are still a few band names on the list that mean nothing to me!. Good to know I still have more to discover.

• Traffic is also missing as is Status Quo

• Sounds like a catfight (or dog if you prefer). In other words, I say "cat", you say "dog". Hell, we probably couldn't agree on even that ! How will we ever agree on a lot of 200 artists "most deserving" to make a classic rock list?

How about we do a poll where each willing member suggests ONLY 50 artists. After the allotted time those get tabulated (right, Gary?) and only those mentioned on 10% of the ballots receive immaculate glorification, BUT all others mentioned are placed into some kind of archive list which all members can easily access from its permanent first position in our forum. Those artists making the cut (10% of all ballots) receive secret double kuddos and have their suitable album covers rotated weekly as the symbol of our group. WHEW, I'm worn out. But you get the general idea. :D

P.S. Traffic isn't on the list? That is much more surprising than others mentioned, isn't it? :D

P.S.S. Freddie Mercury and Roger Walters get their due as Queen will be a lock in that top 10%. There are certainly enough vocal members of the group to assure that one. :)

P.S.S.S. To Gary: If you ever speak to me again after this tyraid, you will know that the group trusts your ethics and due dilligence in the tabulation and organization. :) And you get to keep The Cyrkle...sort of. :D

• I'm certainly willing to do something along that line. Let's keep this thread going awhile, continuing to list the missing bands and see what other suggestions come along.

When we came over to Classic Rock in May, we had a thread where people just mentioned groups and they were added. Apparently no one ever mentioned Traffic or they would be on the list.

Triumph
    Pavlov's Dog
    Moxy
    Mott the Hoople
    Axe
    Shawn Phillips

• gary_lankford said:
    TheMuffin-Man said:
    ^^^

Like you said, The Guess Who should be in the list! :)

In this case the name of the group is actually 'The Guess Who' so filing them under G would be wrong.

In the case of the Grateful Dead the name of the band is actually 'Grateful Dead' so they get filed under G.

I always thought that "the" never counted in an alphabetical list.

• How can you just eliminate part of the band name?

The band isn't 'Beatles' it's The Beatles. On last.fm, if you apply the artist bbcode to Beatles {artist}Beatles{/artist} it returns Beatles. That's what should happen. Beatles can't exist without 'The'.

• Apparently it is.

rofl, that had nothing to do with alphabetical lists. It was simply that I thought "the" never was used as the way to list alphabetically. If you want to use examples, I can. On both iTunes and WMP (haven't used anything else) they always list The Beatles under B. They list The Seeds under S.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.