Does being a Christian limit your musical selection?

• Nicd said...
    • User
    • 23 Feb 2007, 14:18
    Yeah, maybe I could've explained myself better. :P

Just found my old music collection, back from when I was about... 12 years old? ^^ A big list of mod music. Brings back memories...

• Of course not, I listen to any music that sounds good to me.

Of course, I'm not a christian by your definition, so I guess that's irrelevant.

fucking bitches and getting heads
  • Is secular music evil?

1 Corinthians 6:12:

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Secular music in and of itself is not wrong. I listen to Machine Supremacy (mostly instrumental metal), it is all in the lyrics and the message being portrayed by the song. If the music is more important to you than your walk with God (1 Corinthians 6:12, you are brought under its power) then you probably shouldn't be listening to it. Also if it does not edify or build you up, should you really be listening to it? (1 Corinthians 10:23).

Only God can save you now...
  • [spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 28 Dec 2010, 21:07
    • minatra said...
    • User
    • 3 Jul 2007, 11:19
    Many of you have really good points in your writings. I'd like to tell the most important things to me.

It's very easy to start singing songs that you have listened a lot. And I could sing them by accident anywhere. Then I'd like to sing about Jesus and to Jesus and not about some stupid things. At least I remember easily all lyrics and I'm sure that they affect to me and my thoughts. And one more point (which is important to me) is that people around me could hear something about Jesus through my music. For example if my parents hear me listening to christian music, they could start thinking why I listen to it.

Still I listen sometimes secular music (for example radio).

Oh, one more point: Some secular songs remind me about my life before Jesus. I don't know if it's good or not..

But, as someone said before, we can decide.

• All things...

Have been made new.

Focusing on the past is not such a great idea, but we all get caught up in it sometimes. For example, in Sodom and Gamorah, when Lot's wife looked back she was turned into a pillar of salt. She looked back because she had some sort of longing for what she left behind, the comforts of living in sin. God specifically told them not to look back, she did, and there were consequences. I am not saying that God will turn you into a pillar of salt for looking back on the way things used to be, but you have to ask yourself why do you look back? Should you be looking back for those reasons?

• Kholo said...
    • User
    • 5 Jul 2007, 12:50

My opinion

I personally dont think there's nothing wrong with lessoning to secular music. I think there is only something wrong when the Holy Spirit convicts you about it.What Ive learnt is that until you get your own personal revelation or conviction, most things wont make sense to you.

Christ ROCKS!!!
    • Vami said...
    • User
    • 10 Jul 2007, 22:32
    Of course it doesn't. We should never get so paranoid that we only listen to artists who are Christian or pass Christian message. There are so many great musicians which you would skip if you did so.

Everything Against Communism!
  • Really?

The artists may have skill and talent, I will readily admit that Lincoln Park, Pink Floyd, and many others have extraordinary skill and creativity. But who does their work glorify? Man or God? By putting man above God we turn our music into an idol, we should focus on God in everything we do. Easier said than done. We are human we make mistakes, just learn from them and get on with life. This is a strategy of the enemy (satan). Satan is not stupid, he knows how to get you away from God, and he is not going to do it with crummy lyrics or horrible music. He is going to make it appealing, he always make sin appealing. Just like in Eden, he made the fruit sound like life itself, when in reality it was really death incarnate. Do not be deceived by skill or creativity, if the message is not of God then who is it of?

• Vami said...
    • User
    • 14 Jul 2007, 22:26
    Ya tryin' 2 say that listening to music which does not glorify God is a sin? Or paying dues to Satan? No way. Because music is NOT to glorify ANYONE (it CAN be, but does not HAVE TO be). Music is for F-U-N. And no, fun is not a sin ;)

Everything Against Communism!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Jul 2007, 22:19
    well, none of the music I really enjoy has ever made me stop and think, to tell the truth...not much of it is explicitly christian, but it's not explicitly antichristian either.

so to answer your question, no, not really. maybe if I was a metalhead, but I'm not, so yeah.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Dec 2007, 17:28
    No. I listen to everything from Nichole Noreman to Cradle of Filth, Iced Earth and Korn. It doesn't make me un-christian.
    Music is for enjoyment, God gave us a diverse world and I plan to make the most of it, and learn from mistakes and try things before deciding I don't like them.
    If i listened to black metal and went and killed somebody then fair enough, but the fundamentalist part of the chuch relies on putting fear into people. They'll tell parents that music is evil, to keep tabs on the children.
    *stops before she gets into a rant*
    It just seems to be that moderate Christians are comfortable enough in their views to KNOW that music isn't going to be bad etc. Their vicars/pastors etc don't need to perscribe set rules regarding music because they believe in free will and personal choice. Metal/Gothic/Rock music wasnt around when the bible was written so using scriptures to claim its wrong is frankly laughable.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Jan 2008, 10:33
    I only read the first post of this topic.

Personally secular music didn't do any good to me.
    It's hard not to listen to an artist if it sounds awesome.
    But lyrics really do influence you...
    I thought I was wrong, but I've made this decision for the second time in my life.
    Don't let the music drag you down, it should be positive, and even better: support your personal faith and relation with Jesus.

I listen to some secular bands, but only if the lyrics aren't hurtful for my beliefs =)

That's my opinion ^^

• There is no verse in the Bible that says that Christians cannot listen to secular music, obviously. Then, the next question to ask is whether or not the secular music is glorifying to God. If there is something in the lyrics that is not glorifying to God, I would say that it is not in your best interest (beneficial) for you to listen to.

Rather than asking whether something is permissible or not....or "how far you can go and still be okay," I think you should appeal to the standard of love.

Is listening to this particular music that is in question hurting your relationship with God? Does it help your relationship with Him?

There are all kinds of secular music out there. I don't listen to only Christian music. I also listen to a lot of music from soundtracks and stuff when I study (that's why John Williams is my top artist). Listening to John Williams does not hurt my relationship with God, and there is nothing wrong with it.

However, if I chose to listen to music that was blaspheming God, then I would say that it definitely would not be in my best interest (beneficial) for me to listen to it. I have no desire to listen to music with Satanic lyrics. I believe it would definitely hinder my relationship with God and would be opening me up to other things.

Here's a good verse that deals with this subject. I know that Paul is specifically talking about sexual immorality, but I think it can be applied to music as well:
    1CO 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything. 13 "Food for the stomach and the stomach for food"--but God will destroy them both. The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14 By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh." 17 But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.

1CO 10:18 Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar? 19 Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord's table and the table of demons. 22 Are we trying to arouse the Lord's jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

1CO 10:23 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. 24 Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

1CO 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- 33 even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. 1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

• evulfuson said:
    How much lyrics affect you depends on how much you belive in yourself and how confident you are about your own beliefs. Suicidal lyrics won't make a normal person commit suicide, and happy music won't help a suicidal person. It's just like some christians read about other religions to educate themselves, while others won't touch that stuff. I listen to black metal, and it hasn't turned me into a murderer or anything worse than I already was. If music and lyrics can influence you very easily and change your whole belief system...well then maybe you should work on some self-improvement.

Sorry to say, but humans are not as strong as you are suggesting they are. This is especially true when it comes to spiritual things. I know for certain that if I started to listen to anti-God music, and started letting that stuff occupy my mind, my relationship with God would definitely be affected.

It's impossible to separate what you set your heart on from faith. We are to love God with everything that we are. He is to be our first love. If God is my first love, how could I listen to something that blasphemes Him and yet come out unaffected? Either He could no longer be first in my heart, or I would have to stop listening to that kind of music.

You may think that anti-God lyrics don't impact your relationship with God, but how could that be? That would be like if I were married, said that I loved my husband, and yet started to listen to hate messages against him on a regular basis.

How could that anti-God stuff not make it's way into your heart if you constantly are putting it into your head?

PR 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for it is the wellspring of life.

Satan is very deceptive. He works on a person very slowly, and he's sneaky. If you give him a foothold (Satanic lyrics), you are asking for trouble.

I also want to note something that bothered me in your response. You mentioned "self-improvement." What about being more God focused, and growing in a closer relationship with God. There is nothing wrong with personal growth AS LONG AS God is the one you are surrendering to. There's a lot in popular culture that talks about self-improvement. However, a lot of this is being come at from a New Age perspective (a perspective that takes God out of the picture.) The New Age Movement itself is deception from Satan. The main problem is that it causes people to turn away from God, and stop relying on Him. Instead, they begin relying on themselves and replacing humanity or themselves with God.

MT 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

MT 15:16 "Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17 "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man `unclean.' 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what make a man `unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him `unclean.'

• ISoS said:
    RdX said:
    I think there's a major difference between the idealogy black metal and the genre black metal..

I say they are profaning and blaspheming against Christ in their performance and thus are not Christian, so how can it be Christian Black Metal?

You can rest assured that Christan Black Metal bands are indeed Christian. ;) Their lyrics mean a thousand times more than their style. You can't just play a certain style and instantly turn anti-Christian, just because of that!

And I'm pointing out that you can and only with Black Metal. It is founded on ideaology, that is how it is. It would be the same thing if you said christianity wasn't about Jesus dying on the cross for you yet still proclaiming to be Christian.

In actuality, there are "Christians" who do just that....they deny that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, and yet they still call themselves Christian. There are even people who deny that Jesus is/was ever real, and these individuals still call themselves Christian. That's New Testament scholarly stuff for you. I get confronted with this daily at the school that I attend. Many scholars consider Jesus to be a myth, and that His death on the cross for sins is just a theory.

I'm completely serious.

I know of someone who wrote a paper for NT and failed it because she wrote that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. In fact I failed a paper myself because I wrote that part of discipleship in John is about having a personal relationship with God and actually knowing Him.

There are a lot of pastors, scholars, etc. who deny the essentials of the Christian faith, and yet they call themselves "Christian." The fact that they call themselves Christian does not make it so. It does not mean that biblically they are Christian, and it does not mean that they are saved or know God.

I'm at the school for a degree in counseling, but I had to take certain core classes, and I've seen what is going on in some "Christian" circles.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Sep 2008, 15:25
    Needless to say I'm a black metal fan and a Christian, and I'm rather unnerved that the "I am more grim than you" and "this is false metal!" posturing that I have to endure on the shoutboxes and related journals of many of my favourite bands is exactly inverted here. No, I'm afraid you're not more Christian than me, and God will judge me, you will not.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Sep 2008, 00:45

Anyone can listen to anything regardless of faith

Yea music has nothing to do with your faith. People should be open to a wide variety of experiences in their lives. Only the weaks' faith would be affected by the type of music they listen to or tv they watch. I think its a sign of stronger faith to be able to listen to whatever and not let it affect you. Its not like everyone beleives every little thing everyone else says. Lyrics in a song end up just expressing the opinions of the composer. To not even be able to listen to their opinions is ignorant. People should expose themselves to all different opinions to give them a wider choice of opinion in their own lives. (if someone is born into a democratic home and doesnt even know what republican views are like, theyd automatically beleive democratic opinions. People should listen to all opinions even if they know they dont believe them, at least to keep their minds and descisions from being one sided).

• Re: Anyone can listen to anything regardless of faith

Zman27 said:
    Yea music has nothing to do with your faith. People should be open to a wide variety of experiences in their lives. Only the weaks' faith would be affected by the type of music they listen to or tv they watch. I think its a sign of stronger faith to be able to listen to whatever and not let it affect you. Its not like everyone beleives every little thing everyone else says. Lyrics in a song end up just expressing the opinions of the composer. To not even be able to listen to their opinions is ignorant. People should expose themselves to all different opinions to give them a wider choice of opinion in their own lives. (if someone is born into a democratic home and doesnt even know what republican views are like, theyd automatically beleive democratic opinions. People should listen to all opinions even if they know they dont believe them, at least to keep their minds and descisions from being one sided).

You're right that a strong faith enables people to resist messages they know are harmful or untrue. You're also right that it's good to know a bit about every opinion to be able to deal with them. Still, I don't think people should listen to just anything, especially Christians. Purposely allowing yourself to be constantly bombarded with falsehood or plain junk is like sticking your head in an alligator's mouth and hoping he doesn't bite. If you stay there long enough, it's going to hurt you. You shouldn't allow yourself to fall into situations like that, with music, TV, or the like. It's placing yourself in a dangerous situation.

Also, there is a passage in the Bible warning us to "avoid all appearance of evil." I think someone's already said it, but if someone found you listening to lyrics that would generally be labeled as evil, they wouldn't think you were a very good Christian, though you may indeed be one. It's not giving a good witness is the thing. In fact, there are a few songs in my own library I wonder shouldn't be there...

Anyhow, it's definitely the lyrics that make music worth listening to or not. I actually prefer my music without lyrics, but most music has them, so I try to find clean ones. I love the sound of heavy metal and harsh EBM, but it's hard to find songs like that without lyrics that are angry, depressing, or contain a bit of profanity. Nevertheless I've found a few.

So, being a Christian shouldn't keep you from listening to any particular style of music. I don't think the sound itself could be evil in any way, but it's smart to be careful of the message in the lyrics.

"Only in a world where faith is difficult can faith exist."
    - Peter John Kreeft, Ph.D.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Oct 2008, 09:09

Are you consumed?

I was listening to Way of the Master Radio and the host, Todd Friel, addressed this very question. Are so consumed by the Master that your very thoughts, words and actions glorify Him? Is Jesus a part of your daily conversations?

There are many great songs that are clean but don't glorify God. There wouldn't be anything inherently wrong with listening to those songs but when your love for the Father is so overwhelming, would you want to listen to anything but what exalts the Saviour?

Just food for thought.

• Hegeee said...
    • User
    • 2 Oct 2008, 18:41
    Music doesnt make faith in god. I believe in God and Jesus and I read bible. And I listen to black/death metal

GDAertyq43y
  • I cannot listen to any band that I find offending to me or my beliefs. Jesus Christ is my friend, God is our Father. I just can't listen to anyone who rejects them. Also, I hate bands that are satanic just for commercial purposes.

And I don't listen to these bands not 'cause "the priest said so", but because I don't want to promote in any way people that insult something so holy for me.

I've changed my opinion about everything. This post is old and my new views are way cooler. Can't wait to change them again.
  • i think you can listen every music you want if you just use your mind about what they saying. and maybe they are right and you can maybe better your own life. i listen to crass and there are much lyrics about religion and some of them are true and i think you don't have to close your eyes for it. you just have to stay thinking.

Jesus was an Anarchist
  • I also listen to A7X once in a while, I really don't think it matters. Christian music is amazing though :)

♫Relient K is love♫

• no no no no and no.

music is music.

being a christian is being a christian.

these two need not necessarily cross paths.

i have non-christian friends who listen to gospel music because they like the music, and not anything else.

music is a form of art, and art should be free of restrictions.

to move closer next to you. (:
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.