Most UNDERrated Canadian Artist/Band - Add Your Toonie ;-)

• Most UNDERrated Canadian Artist/Band - Add Your Toonie ;-)

As an aside to the other topic...
    Name your most underrated Canadian artist/band.

I would have to give props out for the Weakerthans and Metric.

"You will find me in the next life, if not this one"
  • I would have to say Pilate!!!! Their last album (Caught by the window) was great but they've seem to have disappeared from the scene after that. :-(

• Got to agree with "goleafsgo" on Weakerthans. Great music and their song writer, Samson, is one of the most talented lyricists out there. Just listening to the short song "One Great City", you can exactly imagine what it's like to live in Winnipeg.

Ron Sexsmith - similarly, is a great story teller through his music

The Dears - another band that doesn't get enough credit

• prianka said...
    • User
    • 7 Dec 2005, 21:30
    Although I can't openly agree with goleagsgo d: ... I saw the Weakerthans this summer at the Folk Fest here in Ottawa and I thought they were spectacular! Same goes for the Dears at Bluesfest and I'm really surprised they haven't been pulled into this sudden wave of popularity for Canadian indie bands.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 9 Dec 2005, 00:23
    P:ano and Ida Nilsen. Dan Bejar too, but I think he is quite popular now.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Dec 2005, 07:03
    p&c

• Re:

Quoth rice_cracka:
    I would have to say Pilate!!!! Their last album (Caught by the window) was great but they've seem to have disappeared from the scene after that. :-(

Pilate's great in their own way, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the most under-rated out of all of canada. I am a fan though, and their new album's set to come out soon!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jan 2006, 04:00
    Tara MacLean.

She's also in a Canadian group called Shaye.

• lisagee said...
    • User
    • 17 Jan 2006, 20:18

Re:

Quoth VivaLaVinyl:

The Dears - another band that doesn't get enough credit

definitely have to agree with The Dears!!

• I agree with goleafsgo: Metric

• I don't think I'd agree with Metric, they've been enjoying a LOT of success lately, plus they're touring with the Rolling Stones...

I would have to go with The Unicorns as most under-rated.

Like my charts? Listen to my weekly electro radio show, THE POP TART, every Friday at 6pm EST on CIUT 89.5 FM in Toronto or www.ciut.fm worldwide!
  • Quoth suncrash:
    Tara MacLean.

She's also in a Canadian group called Shaye.

I love her song: If I Fall.

Quoth CastAGlare:
    I don't think I'd agree with Metric, they've been enjoying a LOT of success lately, plus they're touring with the Rolling Stones...

I would have to go with The Unicorns as most under-rated.

and what's an example of a Unicorns' song that's good? I've heard of them, but never heard any of their stuff.

"You will find me in the next life, if not this one"
  • I Do (It), Tuff Ghost and I Was Born A Unicorn are my favourites.

Like my charts? Listen to my weekly electro radio show, THE POP TART, every Friday at 6pm EST on CIUT 89.5 FM in Toronto or www.ciut.fm worldwide!
  • Anybody ever hear of "The Marble Index" ? An Ontario band... and they are quite wicked!!

I Believe and Not so Bright are really good songs from them.

(Does anyone else smell curly fries? I can just smell it!!)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Jan 2006, 13:34
    Just an up-coming band. I'm 16 - and my drum teacher plays in this band. They've recently been on Z99's (local radio station) 'Hot New Music Preview'.

They go by the name of Sylvie.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Jan 2006, 14:45
    The Miniatures and Money Money are waaaay underrated. Metric are probably overrated, I don't mind them but not worth all the hype. And Sloan are well overdue for big US exposure, hopefully their 2 shows opening for the Stones in Boston will help them out!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2006, 01:38
    Sloan are effin amazing, so I totally agree with that! I'm really hoping they crack the US market soon.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jan 2006, 04:33
    gotta love the Sloan love

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Jan 2006, 18:26
    Cowboy Junkies. I think they've been underrated for a long time, great Canadian band.

• The Unicorns are definetly underrated. I might just be saying that because they come from my small town and went to my school.

• Re:

Quoth MrGoatBoy:
    The Unicorns are definetly underrated. I might just be saying that because they come from my small town and went to my school.

That's pretty cool. I always thought they were straight from Montreal. Did they grow up in a small town, if so, which town do/did you guys live in? Just curious for future reference.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2006, 02:18
    Gotta love the Tea Party.

And while they're certainly not underrated in Canada, The Hip...I mean come on, you can't talk about quality Canadian bands without mentioning them. As far as the US market goes, they're underrated...but given what's on their Top 40 lately, I'm actually glad the Hip's not on it. :-) At least wait until they have a decent grunge/alternative movement again before taking over the border.

• Re:

Quoth circumradiant:
    Gotta love the Tea Party.

Yes. They are a bit underrated. Also a little not together, but hey.
    They have so much music to explore beyond the singles that a lot of people know.

I'd have to agree with a lot of things said here so far. Tara MacLean (and Shaye), Pilate, Metric...
    I would however add a few very unknown Canadian's:
    Ray Montford, who is a master of the guitar. Toronto based, and truly amazing. (http://www.raymontford.com)
    Lesley Pike, a singer songwriter, who is also based in Toronto if I remember my facts right. I just ordered both of her CDs on the basis of one song that I heard on her Myspace page.
    http://www.lesleypike.com
    http://www.myspace.com/lesleypike

Hope this isn't over doing it. :)

• dosmart said...
    • User
    • 9 Feb 2006, 01:26
    weakerthans came to ottawa?? And I missed it??

that makes me a sad panda :(

Patrick.

Live, Love, Die.
  • Oh oh oh, Adrienne Pierce. She had her song "Fool's Gold" in an epi of Grey's Anatomy. :-D

She has a myspace site too but she has a video embedded in it and it kinda clashes with her flash player. :-S

Another "Oh Oh Oh!" = Esthero :-D

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.