• Best Cover

I'm curious as to what everyone's favourite cover song is.

Mine personally is "Probil Chas" (The Time Has Come) by Aria. It's a cover of Manowar's "Return Of The Warlord" translated into Russian.

Anyone else know it, or have any other favourites?

http://www.last.fm/user/MarekDragon/journal/2006/07/22/187816/
    My petition against tags! Anyone who wants them moderated, add your name!

Poetry, stories, plays and essays can be submitted here. Click the banner:
  • "Orion" by Mastodon, cover of Metallica. Its brilliant!

Metal up your ass!

Nope.

I only have two emotions.

Asleep and Awesome.

*hides his sensitive side*
  • Shit...tough one...I can't decide on a single favourite cover, but my favourites are:

At The Gates - Captor Of Sin (Slayer cover)
    Children Of Bodom - Hellion (W.A.S.P. cover)
    Fear Factory - Dog Day Sunrise (Head Of David cover)
    Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motorhead cover)

And probably others I can't remember right now...

Yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.
  • Vader - Freezing Moon(Mayhem cover)
    Krisiun - Sweet Revenge(Motorhead cover)
    Dissection - The Antichrist(Slayer cover)
    Death - Painkiller(Judas Priest cover)

• The funniest cover I have heard to date is Dream Theater's "Master Of Puppets".

Check it out:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-358272064412525828&q=Dream+Theater+Master+of+Puppets

Quality's not great, but James LaBrie's vocals are hilarious!

• Children Of Bodom - Hellion
    Cradle Of Filth - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    Machine Head - Message In A Bottle

To name but a few

Here's to alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems
  • I actually think that LaBrie's vocals on that cover are better than New-Hetfield's (this being after James Hetfield was assassinated, and replaced with a weird old country singer). Although, LaBrie's vocals are one of those things you either love or hate. I think he sounds more out-of-place when they cover the Number of the Beast album.

I love Nevermore's cover of Sound Of Silence, but I'm not entirely sure that most people would consider that to be a real cover. In Flames' cover of Depeche Mode's Everything Counts is fairly groovy as well.

And even though it's not the topic, I'd like to nominate Cradle of Filth's cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name as my least favourite cover. It makes me want to choke Dani Filth.

Gary
    • Stoo said...
    • User
    • 15 Aug 2006, 12:35
    Iced Earth's cover of "God of Thunder" by Kiss is amazing. Come to think about it, just about everything on their 'Tribute to the Gods' Album kicks ass.

One of the greatest covers of all time is Priest's version of 'The Green Manalishi...' though - i love it.

• Iced Earth are the only band that's allowed to cover Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Gary
  • Something I've yet to find - a good cover of a Metallica song.

However, I did find some great Maiden covers on 'A Call to Irons'. There's 3-4 great covers on there.

I think Metallica covers of Sabbath, Motorhead and Diamondhead songs are great.

Not sure I have a favourite. Covers are good if they are better or at least as good as the original in a new style. When bands try to emulate a style, it doesn't work.

The whole Master of Puppets cover album sucked.

Hmm, Apocalyptica are quite novel with their Metallica stuff, and CoF's cover of 'No time to cry' is quite funny.

• Vaders' cover of 'Reign In Blood'by Slayer
    Nasum' cover of 'Tools Of The Trade' by Carcass
    Deftones cover of 'Simple Man' by Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Sacred Steels cover of 'Battle God' by Omen

All the Metallica covers on Garage Inc.
    All the covers on Napalm Death's 'leaders not followers' albums especially the Pentagram, Massacre and Repulsion covers

• DethJester said:
    Something I've yet to find - a good cover of a Metallica song.

have you ever heard the 'Thrash Or be Thrashed' compilation relased on Blackfish Records. It has some pretty good Metallica covers, For Whom The Bell Tolls is covered by Unite, who do a sterling job imo.

I forgo to mention my favourite cover in my last post.

Stampin' Ground covering Calliing In the Coroner by VIO-LENCE!!!! Brutal \m/

• Dispatched - The Final Countdown (Europe)
    In Flames - Everything Counts (Depeche Mode)
    Graveworm - Losing my Religion (R.E.M.)
    Vintersorg - Rainbow Demon (Uriah Heep)

...and finally, it's not really a cover of sorts but it could be classed as one I guess:-

Týr - The Wild Rover (some Irish folk song)

• I'm surprised nobody has mentioned COB's scorching version of Aces High yet...

I'm sure I can think of a few more, given the time.

Suidakra did a great job of Skyclad's The One Piece Puzzle, ditto Entombed's riotous romp through Bob Dylan's old-and-miserable Ballad Of Hollis Brown...

Og om du noengang lukter kristenmanns blod, oppi fjellet... ja, hent øksa, og... kutt dem ned!
    • Stoo said...
    • User
    • 16 Aug 2006, 23:11
    I have a new favourite!

I just heard Tim 'Ripper' Owens and Yngwie Malmsteen's cover of Mr Crowley and it's absolutely amazing. Owens' voice is stunning.

• nimbostratus said:
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned COB's scorching version of Aces High yet...

Because this is a thread titled 'Best Cover'. As much as I like COB, that cover is trash.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Aug 2006, 11:46
    i dont realy like cradle of filth
    but Cradle Of Filth - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    was a great cover

• DethJester said:
    Because this is a thread titled 'Best Cover'. As much as I like COB, that cover is trash.

It is never. I've rated it as one of their best efforts for years. That includes Hellion, and the fact that I don't like WASP has nothing to do with that - I can't stand Mercyful Fate either, but Metallica made a top effort on the MF medley.

Og om du noengang lukter kristenmanns blod, oppi fjellet... ja, hent øksa, og... kutt dem ned!
  • How about Black Breath by Entombed, its a Repulsion cover.

Another good one is Carcass' cover of Sacred Reich.

• Anyone know/like Arch Enemy's "Aces High" cover of Iron Maiden?

I personally don't have the original, so I can't compare, but I like Angela's vocals anyway.

• I did a little journal on covers. Read it here.

In it I state that the one cover that really stands above any other is Metallica doing Diamond Head's Am I Evil. Fantastic cover.

• mfh666 said...
    • User
    • 17 Aug 2006, 23:25
    Whiskey in the jar - Metallica

Infact, for covers and metal Metallica seem to be very popular on this topic, and many of their efforts with covers have been highly regarded.

I also like Iced Earth's version of shooting star and anything on thier Tribute To The Gods CD.

Finally my favourite cover would be is Richard Cheese - Down with the sickness :P:P Class

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2006, 01:24
    Elvenking - Penny Dreadful (Skyclad)
    Thyrfing - Over The Hills And Far Away (Gary Moore)

• I'm surprised no one has mentioned Norther's cover of Europe's "Final Countdown" - it's utter genius!

I quite like metal covers of cheesey songs - Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar is okay, and Fear Factory's cover of Cars is also good.

• Chobbsy said...
    • User
    • 24 Aug 2006, 20:29
    The cover of kelis milkshake by goodnight nurse or something lol, ingenius :)

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.