Favourate Genre?

• hmm.. I think its a close contest between the 4;

1. Thrash metal i think, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, that type of stuff but depending on my mood sometimes i just cannot be arsed with any of it, whic brings me to my next choice.

2. Melodeath/Melodic Death Metal because its got a really good mix of agression and good vocals in the songs i prefer, bands like InFlames, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Blinded Colony, that stuff, so maybe you could class it as Gothenburg Metal. Anyway, thirdly;

3. Progressive Metal, haha, a rare genre, but one i could only describe with The Devin Townsend Band, and i'm not sure what other band would fit into the class.

4. Grindcore, Unfortunatly i dont have much grind which might be why it doesnt come up much in my charts, but such bands are Regurgitate, Pig Destroyer, Inhume. I love the brutality and simpleness of the songs, its brilliant. 32 second songs deserve praise because its amazing to have such short songs, anyway, thats my list :) a great burden has come off my chest now that i explained all that =D

Metal up your ass!

Nope.

I only have two emotions.

Asleep and Awesome.

*hides his sensitive side*
    • Omster said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2006, 14:26
    mister_crowley said:
    3. Progressive Metal, haha, a rare genre, but one i could only describe with The Devin Townsend Band, and i'm not sure what other band would fit into the class.

Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment? :)

• Omster said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2006, 14:26
    Edit: Sorry about this...I had to try about 6 times before it worked properly...and then I find 3 actually came through =\

Edited by Omster on 8 Aug 2006, 14:28
    • Omster said...
    • User
    • 8 Aug 2006, 14:27
    Edit: Sorry about this...I had to try about 6 times before it worked properly...and then I find 3 actually came through =\

• luntbox said...
    • User
    • 9 Aug 2006, 15:00
    Omster said:
    mister_crowley said:

Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment? :)

Opeth aswell :P

either prog or melodic death are my personal faves but ill listen to most anything

• Anything with the word metal in it. And thrash ;D

• Sorry for the double-post. Firefox has gone wierd and deleted all my bookmarks too :/

• Anything with a good solid composition and credible vocals.

I really hate it when you hear a great band playing and then the singer excretes his tragic voice all over the song. Example: Matt Heafy (Trivium, please get yourself a singer with balls).

As for genres, I like a varied, but distinct range including Power Metal, Melodic Death, Industrial, Thrash, and so on. I'm happy I like a selection of styles, so I can switch from DevilDriver to Queen to Fear Factory to Manowar! =)

The world needs more funk metal!

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Aug 2006, 01:17
    My top genres would have to be...

Power/Symphonic Metal - Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Dark Moor
    Folk Metal - Ensiferum, Elvenking, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Equilibrium
    Viking Metal - Moonsorrow, Windir, Thyrfing
    Black Metal - Nokturnal Mortum, Summoning Emperor

and then bands like Wintersun, Throes of Dawn, Children of Bodom, Hollenthon...

• Melodic black, death/thrash metal
    Folk/viking/pagan metal - without power metal vox
    Old school mid-paced death metal

Basically, I like a good headbang.

• Chobbsy said...
    • User
    • 11 Oct 2006, 21:27
    Progressive is the best when done well, listen to opeth and dream theatre, other wise riff heavy bands like children of bodom and pantera do it for me :)

• Roughly in this order:

1) Thrash, by far. (Mekong Delta, Heathen, Vio-Lence, Exhorder etc.)

2) Death (Necrophagist, Death, Cryptopsy, Quo Vadis etc.)

=3) Power (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian)
    =3) Prog (Dream Theater, Opeth, Atheist?, Cynic?)

5) Folk (Amon Amarth, Wintersun, Finntroll, Ensiferum)

6) NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon)

7) NOT METAL (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Tool, Deep Purple)

8) Doom (Cathedral, Candlemass)

9) Black (Destroyer 666, Toxic Holocaust)

• 1 - Gothic Doom: Draconian, Saturnus, Shape of Despair (funeral doom)
    2 - Black: 1349, Anaal Nathrakh, Marduk, Emperor, Immortal, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum
    3 - Power: Dragonforce, Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata arctica, Stratovarius, Luca Turilli, Hammerfall
    4 - Progressive: Dream Theater, Symphony X, Circus Maximus
    5 - Battle/Viking/Folk: Ensiferum, Turisas, Amon Amarth
    6 - Death: Deicide, Nile, Zyklon ( blackened )
    7 - Thrash: Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Lamb of God

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 24 Oct 2006, 10:06
    1. Viking Metal: Menhir, Mithotyn, Bathory, Forefather, Einherjer.

2. Black Metal: Taake, Windir, Nocternity, Anti, Forest of Fog.

3. Folk Metal: Nerthus, Ashtar, Agalloch, Odroerir, Diamond Eyed Princess.

I also like some power (Falconer, Nightwish, Royal Hunt) and doom bands (Saturnus, Katatonia, Bretwaldas) but overall I'm not keen on those genres.

• I have to say melodeath, however even though Children of Bodom are my fav band they are slipping away from the melodeath genre I still love em and have a massive amount of repect for them as a band. Though melodeath rules and its always gonna be my favourite genre :)

I'm kissing the shadows you surround me with, to feel the pain vanishing away from me.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 26 Oct 2006, 02:10
    My fave genres are Thrash, Death and Metalcore, with the ocassional blakc and viking metal thrown in!

Woot!

• Hmm, this will be tough to put into an order, but here goes:

1. Progressive Death (Both sorts, prog with death elements and Death with prog elements) [Edge Of Sanity, Novembre, Dark Suns, Orphaned Land etc. and Death, Necrophagist, Cynic, Atheist etc.]

2. Death (Cryptopsy, Nile, Arsis, Bloodbath etc.)

3. Post Black/Avant Garde (Arcturus, Ulver, Blut Aus Nord, Solefald etc.)

4. Black (Mayhem, Anaal Nathrakh, Marduk, Diabolical Masquerade etc.)

5. Progressive (Symphony X, Dream Theater, Riverside, Ayreon etc.)

6. Doom (My Dying Bride, Empyrium, Forest Stream, Draconian etc)

7. Folk/Battle/Viking (Borknagar, Bal-Sagoth, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Finntroll etc.)

8. Thrash (Slayer, Venom, Celtic Frost etc.)

9. Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Saxon, Cirith Ungol etc.)

10. Power Metal (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Sratovarius)

That's about it for metal. I like a ton of non-metal genres too, but I wont include any of them as it'd be too hard to list, and there's too many of them.

• definately melodeath first...COB, in flames, dark tranquility. Then thrash/speed...slayer, metallica, megadeth then prog...opeth, tool & anathema < who are so f*cking underrated! >:/ now go n listen to sleepless 96 :P

• Right now I'm enjoying a lot of Post Rock, Ambient, Electronic, Experimental and Garage. This changes a lot though some Post Rock bands have made it to my favourites.

Black Metal used to be my "thing". It still is just not as much. And Doom, too. I love death metal, grind and all things heavily related. I had a massive fling with Power Metal and Heavy Metal (NWOBHM mostly) for a long time too.

I love music in general though. I can find myself listening to Ultra Vomit one second, Godspeed You! Black Emperor 10 minute later then the next day I'll sit and play through Watain and Svartsyn. It depends how I feel. :)

• What ever genre SiKTh are, if any one could think of a genre it might be useful :)
    I'll just stick with their own self classified genre of Weirdcore.

Besides that, Progressive, all the way.
    And love abit of death, especially prog death. #

DethJester said:
    The world needs more funk metal!

EXTREME!! =D

• Viking Metal:
    Mithotyn, Greigh, Falkenbach...

Folk Metal:
    Korpiklaani, Turisas, TrollfesT...

Black Metal:
    Summoning, Limbonic Art, Dornenreich...

Doom Metal:
    Swallow The Sun, Agalloch, Pantheist...

Used to be massively into Power Metal, now not as much as those others.
    Blind Guardian, Kiuas, Luca Turilli...

This said I like all styles of metal, and basically all styles of music I've heard.

• the order above pretty much sums up my preferences as well, although haven't delved into doom quite yet as im still exploring the others - still break out the power metal now and again though even though I don't listen to it as much as I used to

• We even have a 'very high' compatability. :)

• d0000000000000000000000000m.
    and bm.

• Power metal: Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall
    Symphonic metal: Nightwish, Therion, Leaves' Eyes
    Viking metal: Turisas, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Finntroll

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.