• Pick or fingers?

So, what do you prefer - playing with a pick or playing with your fingers?

G--------------------
    D--------------------
    A--------------------
    E--------------------
    Edited by cyberpsych on 21 Dec 2008, 08:45
  • I prefer fingers 99,99%,but pick is better in some heavy stuffs!!! :D there is no better choice!!! :D

Mountain Biking!!! Because for football, basketball and tennis you only need one ball!
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 Dec 2008, 22:42
    I like both, depends on how I feel or what music I'm playin'.
    If play something slower with more space for me to experiment with my bass I'll play with fingers, but if I'm playing some straight forward stuff I'll choose pick.
    Like my friend above said, there's no better choice, everyone has their own style and I really hate idiots who think that pick is not ''a bassist thing'', wtf?!

• Fingers

• Both.

• Usually, I attempt to play everyrhing I can with fingers, but in some cases, when there are specific tones i want to recreate (Like Lemmies), I dare to stray away and use a pick (But not if I can make it on my efects procesor)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 31 Dec 2008, 14:31
    fingers of course. :D

• greenridinghood said:
    fingers of course. :D

What do you mean of course?!?! It is stupid way to think... :/ THERE IS NO BETTER WAY!!! Did you listen Yes albums and Chris Squier? :)

Mountain Biking!!! Because for football, basketball and tennis you only need one ball!
  • Fingers heck yes
    Actually that's because I suck at picking :P

• Drakon7 said...
    • User
    • 12 Jan 2009, 22:52

TBH

All depends on how you play and what you play, both have their distinctive sound, but picking doesn't have that bass/groove feel to it =]

Fingers all the way!

Its more enjoyable, imho

For love is not madness, It is Sparta.
    - Belial Naoe
  • TBH
    All depends on how you play and what you play, both have their distinctive sound, but picking doesn't have that bass/groove feel to it =]

Fingers all the way!

Its more enjoyable, imho

Chris Squire - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_vJ1W7uKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04olCGHrI04&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aAuu_GDdkI&feature=channel

• Fingers mostly, pick every now and then, sometimes both (pick kept in between fingers, slipped into playing position mid-action.)

• fingers, that's for sure. Some people say you can't play fast with fingers, like guitars play tremolo. That ain't true! You can always play with 3 fingers! =)

• kurashu said...
    • User
    • 22 Apr 2009, 17:41
    I play fingers but I'm getting used to the pick because of the tone it makes.

• Only fingers

• I play for about 80% of the stuff with the fingers, but if I am playing very easy, basic stuff, or some hard metal, I use a pick

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

R.I.P. Rick Wright 1943 - 2008
  • Haha, I agree with fretless11. However, I preefer when a bass player use only fingers or only Pick; I choose the fingers, but picking style is intresting, not only for Chris, There's a lot of great Bass player that use the pick ; )

• Pitear said...
    • User
    • 3 May 2009, 09:35
    Fingers rox but pick is louder.

• Depends on style really. Fingers unless it's heavy, then I get nice thick pick.

"Coffee is almost as lame as Children of Bodom"
  • Fingers, even when it's heavy.

Blood, Guts & Rock n' Roll
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 14 May 2009, 06:45
    Fingers in most of stuff. Hybrid picking in extreme metal (which needs the tremolo stuff and some funny pops). Pick and crazy tremolo with a bass distortion in black metal. 3mm pick.

• Both. Fingers are awesome for a funkier/warmer sound but a pick is great for rock stuff.

• Both. When I play in my main band, which is accidentally a punk rock one, I play most of the songs with pick, because it gets that solid steady feel. But while playing the other stuff, I usually use fingers, because I can play faster and better with them. But somehow I just can't get that solid punk feel from constant 16th without the pick... Guess it takes a lot more practice...

• i like both, it depends the kind of music i'm playing to, but usually i use pick 'cause it sounds louder

• to: asenath_dh
    you can just adjust the sound of your amp actually

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.