Too numerous to mention, but here are a few favorites:

Johann Sebastian Bach (of course!)
    Georg Philipp Telemann
    Arcangelo Corelli
    Antonio Vivaldi
    George Frideric Handel
    Alessandro Scarlatti

• Giacomo Carissimi

The rose of Earth is the lily of Heaven.
    http://yamathespacefish.deviantart.com
  • Ah, megatrax, you don't seem to have missed any of the important ones, do you? But Bach and Vivaldi bear repeating. A few of Händel's works, but he seems to have borrowed from himself a lot, I think. I suppose that's a potential pitfall of having to churn out music in high volumes for a patron (although Bach seems to have managed it better).

And I hate to be a cliché, but someone really ought to mention Johann Pachelbell, if only for his Cannon & Gigue in D.

"We must be contented to amuse, when we cannot inform." -Thomas Jefferson
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 11 Jun 2008, 19:58
    Here are a few more names to add to the previous list:

Domenico Scarlatti
    Muzio Clementi
    G. B. Viotti

All worthy of note! :o)

• kwassa said...
    • User
    • 12 Jun 2008, 06:07
    Johann Sebastian Bach

• matwe_k said...
    • User
    • 12 Jun 2008, 10:37
    I like Pergolesi, Corelli is too uniformal for me, too many theme repeatings in his different concertos, but La Follia is great music.
    Johann Sebastian Bach was a genius :)

And I play in orchestra also Tomaso Albinoni, he's very pleasant to listen too.

Good group :)

• Lutz85 said...
    • User
    • 15 Jun 2008, 13:04

Albinoni

I think Albinoni deserves a bit more of the spotlight. Obviously Bach is the greatest and Vivaldi has that whole energy thing going, but what I like about Albinonis music is that it's so playful yet complicated. He's like a better Händel (In my opinion at least).

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 20 Jun 2008, 08:25
    Georg Philipp Telemann by far

• HIF von Biber
    Jean-Baptiste Lully
    Mr. de Sainte-Colombe
    Henry Purcell
    J. S. Bach
    Marc-Antoine Charpentier

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Jun 2008, 16:43

Re: Albinoni

Lutz85 said:
    "what I like about Albinonis music is that it's so playful yet complicated. He's like a better Händel (In my opinion at least)".

Prompted by Lutz85's post, I recently acquired to new (to me)CD's of Albinoni's music: (1.) Naxos ALBINONI, Oboe Concerti, Op. 9 and (2.) BMG two Disc set titled: ADAGIO VENEZIANO, which is a various artists set with several Albinoni tracks (5) and includes Vivaldi, Zavateri, Corelli, A Marcello and Facco.

I agree that these concertos are playful and bright and most enjoyable listening!

Thanks to Lutz85 for reminding me that Albinoni is more than "Adagio in G minor"!

• Johann sebastian bach
    Vilvadi
    Jean Batiste Lully
    George frederic handel
    Henry Purcell

towanda
  • i don't have favorite composers.
    and i don't categorize them according to centuries.
    doesn't make sense to me :)

i don't believe that the connected composers were as much bound to an era as we pigeonhole them. for example, compare claudio monteverdi with antonio vivaldi : it's like putting ludwig van beethoven and béla bartók into the same pot (or erik satie with jimi hendrix ) ...

• necz0r said...
    • User
    • 4 Feb 2009, 09:48
    These days I am crazy about Dietrich Buxtehude. Membra Jesu Nostri is brilliant, and I'm definitely not tired of hearing it through yet. Lars Ulrik Mortensen's renditions of harpsichord works by Buxtehude is also quite amazing.

I only recently discovered Arcangelo Corelli. The violin works are incredible and I understand why he seems so significant to some violinists.

Also these days Händel has become more important to me. I went to see Messiah in the Christmas for the first time and that gave me a better impression of his music than what I had experienced with the Water Music, etc., but maybe it's because I understand Baroque music much better these days.

Saul is incredible. The recitatives intrigue me. The symphony with solo organ charms me in, many magical feelings in that one. Didn't hear it through with full attention yet but when I do it will be great.

Those are the ones that stand out to me currently. I also love JS Bach, Telemann, Scarlatti, Vivaldi et. al. of course ^^

Carsten Nørgaard
  • Handel and Vivaldi, of course are some of my favorite baroque composers

But a more obscure composer whose works I enjoy is Carlos Seixas from Portugal. you don't hear much music coming out of Portugal; they're almost all from Germany or Italy during the Baroque era.

Monteverdi's sacred works are wonderful and I listened to his opera last week and it was amazing.

• necz0r said...
    • User
    • 18 Mar 2009, 09:25
    Dietrich Buxtehude

Recently have been enjoying him a lot, it's really good music. It all started with Lars Ulrik Mortensen's interpretation of his keyboard music, with is both a great display of virtuosity as well as extremely entertaining, lively and bright Baroque music.

Membera Jesu Nostri is a brilliant choral work that is great for bringing in an atmosphere of humility and tranquility into one's mind, it's almost like meditation to me.

The style of Baroque music is older than that of Bach or Händel, and so probably a bit more Church-like in his chamber music or vocal works, but it's like stepping into an entirely different planet. I certainly understand why Bach was impressed with his works, I think they share some artistic thoughts although executed somewhat differently.

So I can warm-heartedly recommend Buxtehude

Carsten Nørgaard
  • lesser known, original, unconvential, bohemian: Jan Dismas Zelenka

• necz0r said...
    • User
    • 27 Mar 2009, 19:45
    @SirAlecHendrix

Listened to some music by Zelenka as a reaction to your post — “Missa dei Filli” I think — and it’s definitely good, thanks :)

Carsten Nørgaard
  • J.B.Lully, J.S.Bach, M.A Charpentier, D. Buxtehude, J.P Rameau, G.P.Telemann, F. Couperin, G.F.Handel, J.M Hotteterre, C. Monteverdi, H.Purcell, M.Marais, M.R de Lalande, A.Campra, T.Albinoni, J.J.Quantz, G. Carissimi

• You find something special in nearly every composer when you focus on him / her. Some reveal it faster, while others need more attention. So any of these composers we mentioned (or haven't mentioned) above or below can become your favourite in any period of your life.

From my point of view Zelenka is a very important composer. So is Pergolesi. Considering his 'Stabat Mater' I wonder what he would have become if he hadn't die at the age of 26. Locatelli is a good choice for violin music. F. Couperin, Rameau and Buxtehude have brilliant works for harpsichord..

Well, I only suggest 6 composers here and there are hundreds more sharing the same importance more or less.

• My favorites (in order from greatest to least):
    1.)Johann Sebastian Bach
    2.)Georg Philip Telemann
    3.)Antonio Lucio Vivaldi
    4.)C.P.E. Bach
    5.)Johann David Heinichen
    6.)Pietro Antonia Locatelli
    7.)Lorenzo Zavateri

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Jan 2010, 11:12

Jean-Phillippe Rameau

Rameau's operas are just brilliant (Les Indes Galantes is my favourite!)

Special mention should also go to:
    Lully, Purcell, Couperin (both of them), Handel and Bach..

• Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Telemann, & Handel, hands down. I like Bach, but, for some reason, I've always loved the others much, much better.

My super-eclectic music score is currently

613/1000

• Boismortier
    Veracini
    Rameau
    Dall' Abaco
    Zelenka

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Jun 2010, 00:42
    J.S. Bach
    G.F. Handel
    A. Vivaldi
    A. Corelli
    G.P. Telemann
    H. Purcell
    J.B. Lully
    J.P. Rameau
    D. Buxtehude

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 29 Jul 2010, 10:29
    Johann Pachelbel, Arcangelo Corelli, Georg Philipp Telemann among others.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.