Changing Account Password

• Changing Account Password

Hi!

I just changed my Last.fm password as per today's recommendation, but cannot find an option to change the password stored in the Last.fm Beta desktop application. Do I need to completely delete and re-add my account in the accounts window to achieve this? I thought that the new Beta application used a token-based or challenge-response authentication independent of passwords to interface with the Last.fm API, but my scrobbles have not been coming through unless I listen through the web site since I changed my password.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

• Namedieh said...
    • Subscriber
    • 8 Jun 2012, 11:32

Changing Account Password

Same with me. Can't find a place in the last FM Beta desktop application (2.1.20) wher I can change my password.

Cheers,

Namedieh

• +1

close your mouth
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Jun 2012, 14:00
    You shouldn't need to change it on the application because the Beta scrobbler uses the API to connect to Last.fm rather than just username and password, however I had to fix it by unlinking my account from the app and linking it again.

• I ended up having to do the same thing. Removing and re-adding my account seems to have worked.

• I do not see any reason to change your password. What to steal here? Number of plays? Nonsense!

• streetpunk33, as ridiculous as it may sound, some people may have blogs with some friends-only info, facebook-tied social connections. And as for number of plays... in some countries the knowledge about The Village People or Colton Ford in music library could lead to devastating consequences.

• eartle said...
    • Alumni
    • 11 Jun 2012, 10:12

Clarification on application passwords

Hi guys.

Sorry for the confusion. The message that's shown when you change your password on the website is for people using the current official desktop application, where the username and password are set in the application. In the beta version, that you guys are using, you don't need to do anything. Password changes do not affect the authentication status of applications that you have authenticated against your account using web authentication.

We are using this method of authentication because it's considered best practice for third party applications and we are trying to set example. It's best practice because a third party application will never get hold of you password directly, it just gets a token from Last.fm that lets it use your account, which you can invalidate at any time.

To review which applications you have authenticated against your account and remove/invalidate any you are no longer using (or perhaps don't remember authenticating against) go to this page of your settings:

http://www.last.fm/settings/applications

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Was the Last.fm Client Team - @eartle
    See also:
    Mobbler: the Last.fm radio player and scrobbler for Nokia/Symbian.
    Setlist Scrobbler: scrobble the Setlist.fm setlists for your Last.fm attended events.
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.