Last.fm Desktop Application Beta 2.1.20

• im using windows 7 (32-bit), usually the scrobbler starts with my windows media player but since the update it doesnt do so anymore. if i start the scrobbler manually it doesnt scrobble the tracks

• Ooops, wrong account.

• eartle said...
    • Alumni
    • 6 Jun 2012, 12:37
    Hi, guys. Back from a long weekend here in the UK (thanks to the Queen).

Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce this skipping problem people are having on Windows. What would be really useful is some phonon vlc logs. If someone could follows these steps that would be great.

1) open a command prompt at the location the app is installed. most likely c:\Program Files\Last.fm\
    2) type "set PHONON_VLC_DEBUG=4"
    3) run the app by typing "Last.fm.exe"
    3) it should start spitting a load of logs out
    4) near the top it should also give you a filename that it is writing them to
    5) reproduce the skipping problem
    6) upload the logs to somewhere like pastebin
    7) comment here with a link to the logs

I'm guessing that there is a VLC pluggin that has been missed out or something, but these logs should help me a lot.

Thanks!

Was the Last.fm Client Team - @eartle
    See also:
    Mobbler: the Last.fm radio player and scrobbler for Nokia/Symbian.
    Setlist Scrobbler: scrobble the Setlist.fm setlists for your Last.fm attended events.
    • eartle said...
    • Alumni
    • 6 Jun 2012, 12:42
    @joeyinbox The media key presses go to the last app that had focus. If you want to control iTunes you should make sure it was the last thing that was focused and you haven't switched to the Last.fm app in the meantime. This is exactly the same behaviour that Spotify has with media keys.

A few people have been confused by this though so I'll look into having an option to turn it off and/or make sure it doesn't start radio stations when we know you are listening to iTunes.

See also:
    Setlist Scrobbler: scrobble the Setlist.fm setlists for your Last.fm attended events.
    • eartle said...
    • Alumni
    • 6 Jun 2012, 12:46
    Other than that, I'll look into the Windows volume problems that have been reported, and you'll also be pleased to know that iPod scrobbling should be getting a bit of an overhaul in the next few weeks making it simpler and hopefully more robust.

See also:
    • DrBlur said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2012, 15:13
    ^hopefully that means it'll actually work!

• iBrave said...
    • User
    • 6 Jun 2012, 19:24
    got double opened scrobbler on first run, when it promted to install plugin for itunes on mac. Then openened another instance of program after plugin was installed and itunes started. Happened only once

• Thanks for responding eartle =) I apologize for my earlier impatience - should have known the Queen would pull you away from us for a bit ;-)

On Win Vista the LastFM folder is located in c:\Program Files(x86)\Last.fm>

However, what command do I need to type in, in an elevated command prompt, as admin, from desktop/Accessories folder, exactly please?

It keeps telling me PHONON_VLC cannot be found.

Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium, with Windows Media Player 11 only and Scrobbling plug-in with WMP works fine for me. I can reproduce the skipping issue, every time, on the first, second or third track skip attempt.

(EDIT)

Have tried all sorts of command forms. Do I need to "start Last.fm .exe" from this command prompt with the "set PHONON" file extension added?

Sorry, I am an oldie, but a newbie =p

Edited by CrybKeeper on 9 Jun 2012, 01:52
    • kc5f said...
    • Subscriber
    • 7 Jun 2012, 12:33

Phonon log for skip and volume errors

eartle said:
    What would be really useful is some phonon vlc logs...

I have placed a log file with both the skip and volume problems for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit at (edited)/vlc-log-4204.zip (now deleted). Here's a summary of what happened:

Song 1: Started at 100% volume and played normally. I used the scroll wheel to change the volume to about 50% and let it play to the end.

Song 2: Slider still showed 50%, but played almost inaudibly, even after bringing the volume up to 100% with the slider.

Clicked skip. Next song volume OK, used scroll to change it to 50%.

Clicked skip. Next song volume almost zero, with slider still showing 50%. Didn't change anything this time.

Clicked skip. Went into to song skip loop, never playing anything. Let it skip for a dozen or so songs and quit the application.

Edited by kc5f on 13 Jun 2012, 19:48
    • Ber_ said...
    • User
    • 7 Jun 2012, 16:18
    The new client doesn't seem to always pick up that I'm playing a new song if I pause an active radio station, so I can (and just did) end up listening to locally stored music for well over an hour without any scrobbles or other recognition from the client. I think this happens more when I pause right at the end of a song, but I'm not certain.

Not to sound too negative, I do like the direction you're taking things with this redesign. Just a few bugs to squash and ideally a bit of UI streamlining to do. :)

• Icon is missing in the tray when I close scrobbler window. I mean the picture, the icon object works. Win7 x32 Professional

• iBrave said...
    • User
    • 7 Jun 2012, 20:17
  • More problems:
    'Mute' option in the tray icon menu doesn't work. Keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+Down) turns screen upside down (I guess it's one of the Windows system shortcuts).
    Setting language to Russian didn't work (neither immediately nor after restart).
    But icon picture is now displayed properly, that problem was only with the first run.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Jun 2012, 15:11

I WANT to hide the dock icon

In Preferences - General the option Hide dock icon is greyed out. :(

• I have reproduced the volume drop issue. If I bring up my Volume Control Panel(Volume Mixer), from my desktop taskbar icon, it shows LastFM volume slider in there, along with master volume, windows sounds, IDT Audio, etc. While watching this volume panel, I slide my volume to 0% in the Scrobbler Client Beta. This simultaneously slides the LastFM slider in Volume Mixer Panel Audio to 0%. But, when I slide the Client volume back to 100%, it only slides up to 50% in my Volume Control Panel(Volume Mixer).

This is not really a problem, as I can then manually slide it back to 100% from 50% in my main system volume controls and all is back to normal.

The STUCK Skipping issue is very bad though, as I am watching songs I haVe been waiting for, just skip right by. I can have this stuck skip button on the first skip attempt, the second or the third, it seems to be random.

• onewhodreamt said:
    Icon is missing in the tray when I close scrobbler window. I mean the picture, the icon object works. Win7 x32 Professional

It is the same for Windows Vista - This is not an OS issue, but must be an application issue on LastFMs side.

• After more experimenting - I have managed to get the new Beta Client to register 0% volume, by messing back and forth with my PCs main volume and the Scrobblers sliding volume. Yes, the Clients slider is set to max volume, but I hear nothing. It's ridiculous, I can agree, but my cable provider has the same issue with its remote control volume slider, vs. my flat screens volume; I can play with those in reverse until the volume is at 0% as well. Then, turn it about and get my volume back to 100%, plus.

• snyde1 said...
    • Subscriber
    • 10 Jun 2012, 00:13
    CrybKeeper said:

This is not really a problem, as I can then manually slide it back to 100% from 50% in my main system volume controls and all is back to normal.
    Thanks for the info.
    The STUCK Skipping issue is very bad though, as I am watching songs I haVe been waiting for, just skip right by. I can have this stuck skip button on the first skip attempt, the second or the third, it seems to be random.The problem (for me) is that the client gets a 403 (permission denied) error when it tries to load the next track. This can continue for some time. The problem seems to be on the web server end, not (necessarily) the client end.

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
  • snyde1 said:
    CrybKeeper said:

Thanks for the info.
    The STUCK Skipping issue is very bad though, as I am watching songs I haVe been waiting for, just skip right by. I can have this stuck skip button on the first skip attempt, the second or the third, it seems to be random.The problem (for me) is that the client gets a 403 (permission denied) error when it tries to load the next track. This can continue for some time. The problem seems to be on the web server end, not (necessarily) the client end.

You mean to say, Last.FMs servers or Last.FMs ISPs servers?

I cannot see this being the issue, as I can hit the skip button and the Client will skip forever - I just tested this,...again and it can skip for 10 minutes, 15 minutes,...forever. However, if you hit the pause/play button really fast enough times, it will catch and stop the skipping. No need to close or reset the Client.

• gworley said...
    • Subscriber
    • 11 Jun 2012, 06:34

Track not scobbling

I am not sure if this should be reported here since I am using the beta client - I have a track that isn't scobbling:

Van McCoy – The Hustle: Love is the Answer: Soul Cha Cha (Hot Tracks Mix)

http://www.last.fm/music/Van+McCoy/_/The+Hustle:+Love+is+the+Answer:+Soul+Cha+Cha+(Hot+Tracks+Mix)

Also if I try to insert it is a BBCode formated with Track button it says unknown track in preview.

It showed up on my "front page" but in my library it didn't not. The beta client is showing no plays.

Can someone look in to this?

Thanks,

George

• I also seem to be having an issue with songs skipping. If I skip one song I don't want to hear it will then automatically skip a bunch of songs that I do want to listen to and then stops on a song I don't care for which then triggers this all over and then I need to exit and reopen or just listed from my browser.

• I haven't been able to get plays from my ipod for weeks now... it never checks for plays after synching and when I force a check I get errors, wipes new scroobles and submits nothing,,, here's the log:

==========================================================================lastfm
    [120611 15:11:58] unicorn::CoreApplication::init() Introducing "iPodScrobbler 2"
    [120611 15:11:58] unicorn::CoreApplication::init() Directed by Windows 7
    [120611 15:11:58] Twiddling device: "UNKNOWN"
    [120611 15:11:58] ITunesComWrapper::initialiseCom()
    Calling CoInitializeEx...

Calling CoCreateInstance...

Value of iTunes ptr: 0030E46C

[120611 15:11:58] ITunesLibrary::ITunesLibrary() Found 5883 tracks in iTunes library
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-01 Natural Blues.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-02 Go 2006.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-03 Porcelain.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-05 Dream About Me.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-06 New York, New York.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-07 In This World.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-08 South Side.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-09 Beautiful.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-10 Extreme Ways.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-12 In My Heart.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-13 Honey.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-14 Lift Me Up.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\1-16 God Moving Over The Face Of The.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-02 Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad_.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-03 Natural Blues (Perfecto Dub).mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-04 South Side (Pete Heller Park La.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-05 We Are All Made Of Stars (Timo.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-07 Jam For The Ladies (Nevins Club.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-08 Lift Me Up (Mylo Mix).mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-10 Dream About Me (Booka Shade Rem.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:07] Multiple tracks were found with the same unique id / path, this track won't be scrobbled from the iPod: "C:\data\iTunes files\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Moby\Go - The Very Best Of Moby\2-11 Slipping Away (Axwell Vocal Mix.mp3"
    [120611 15:12:16] ITunesComWrapper::uninitialiseCom()
    Uninitialising COM...

[120611 15:12:16] ITunesComWrapper::uninitialiseCom()
    CoUninitialize done

[120611 15:12:16] Procedure took: 17 seconds

• I'm also getting the skipping problem. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I was able to reproduce the problem, here are the logs: http://pastebin.com/qQqnUAmQ

snyde1 said:
    CrybKeeper said:

Thanks for the info.

That's what appears to be happening to me too, looking at my logs.

• ollyg said...
    • User
    • 12 Jun 2012, 08:28

Proxy not used in Win7 - cannot configure

I installed the beta on Windows 7 64bit. There is a proxy.pac file configured in the Internet Options for the system.

The beta scrobbler seems not to be able to connect to last.fm's servers, and it looks like this is a problem connecting to the Internet via the proxy. the old non-beta scrobbler times out and asks for manual proxy settings, and then works just fine. The proxy.pac is OK because other browsers such as Google Chrome are using the system Internet Options and work.

• eartle said...
    • Alumni
    • 12 Jun 2012, 14:15

Windows radio fixes

Hi guys.

Thanks for providing the Phonon VLC logs that I asked for, they've been very helpful. I'm still not able to reproduce this reliable myself, but I'm hoping I've found a fix. Please try the version below and let me know how you get on.

http://users.last.fm/~michael/client/Win/Last.fm-2.1.20a.exe

It should fix the track skipping problem (by increasing VLC's network cache) and the volume problem (by using an updated VLC Direct X plugin that contains some needed bug fixes).

Cheers!

See also:
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.