Does anyone feel guilty about pirating?

• nope ;p
    if i like an artist enough i will go to shows

xdollx
    • Midrel said...
    • User
    • 15 Jul 2008, 02:27
    not at all, not at all...
    Ill rely on you guys for buying their cds...
    Sadly my country is quite musically dead for all i care so there's no chance for me xD

• I do~ v___v
    If I had the money I'd buy every CD thats on my iTunes.
    I find it quite depressing that artists these days rely on concerts for support. Let's return to the days of platinum sales~~ ;0;

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 18 Jul 2008, 14:56
    Nope, sure it's nice to have an official CD and a booklet with it. But not for the price they offer it for. So it's kind of their own fault.

• no, i don't feed the corporate machine.

;-)

I'm better than you.
    • lolcaz said...
    • User
    • 12 Aug 2008, 21:36
    I don't feel guilty. I download a few songs and if I love them, I often buy the CD - if it's not too expensive. Also, some of the music I listen to is impossible to download anywhere, so I have to buy the CDs to listen to it. In the past couple of weeks, I've bought way too many CDs than I should have, but I think it's worth paying for a tangible product. I back up my music on an external hard drive but I'm still paranoid about losing it all.
    As for paying for downloads... I hate it. I can't put tracks from iTunes onto my Creative Zen as they're protected. =/ I've only ever bought three tracks from iTunes and that's because I just had to have them straight away. I've now replaced them with MP3 album rips that work on my Zens!

• I'd rather rip off artists than support a record company that rips off artists.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Sep 2008, 18:19
    Yeah, but I can live with the guilt...
    But seriously, I won't listen to the music I like if I expect the CD's to be imported, that's a problem (for me) in my country...
    You don't want to know the shit that people listen to here...
    If I wasn't able to download music, I wouldn' be living in this country...

• yes

• Hi everyone,first post here. I don't feel guilty at all downloading Music.
    I actively purchased CDs from 1989 to 2003. When I started dl'ing I had 2000 CDs in my collection (not including all the others I didn't like/got sick of that I sold off)

I would feel much worse if the cash I'd spent was actually going straight to the artists. As it wasn't,and some fatcats were probably snorting my $$$$ through $100 bills they can go rot.

I still do purchase albums by my favourites,just don't use them very much. I usually rip them in high-bit mp3 format and throw the CD on a shelf with all the others. :(

• Ha, the eternal discussion between the interests of those who wanna make billions out of music, and us the consumers who still like to download.
    It's good for anyone to be able to download albums and check out new bands and stuff. I usually buy albums after having listened all the songs on it, and liked at least more than the half, otherwise it's a waste of money.

• busha69 said...
    • User
    • 12 Feb 2009, 00:40
    Hmm...i download album...and if i like it i will buy it...if not then i don´t listen to it anymore.
    But i do feel guilty when it´s taking me some time to buy the album and i´m listening to it nonstop:)

• I feel guilty, because a lot of the music I do listen to are independent so I would think that the artists see more of the money then those that are on major labels. I try to lessen the guilt by buying the CD if I really really like it and listen to it in my car, that way I still use it and it isn't a waste of money.

Otherwise I'd make a collage of something out of the booklets.

If our world falls down tomorrow
    You be sure I'll be there with a net
    To catch the pieces falling
  • i do feel guilty now but i've promised to myself i'll buy all my favorite artists' cds when i have a job! xD hope it's sooner!

• with the rhytmn i have at listening music, living without free music would be totally impossible

• Nope. But I do buy CDs too.

• alex_xx said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2009, 02:43
    Not as often as I should. I do download quite a bit of music from LimeWire, and I feel like I should at least buy the music of artists that I know I love (incidentally the last album I bought before I got my first iPod was Lily Allen's "Alright, Still" about two years ago and I loved it).

• alex_xx said...
    • User
    • 22 Jul 2009, 03:35
    Way to guilt trip me into buying The Cherrytree Sessions. ;)

• Not really. See, My favorite music is British Pop/Rock and Trance/Dance/House genres. I generally try to buy the trance/dance/house stuff when possible, but it's way too much to import the British stuff, and besides, my parents wouldn't let me do it. Illegally downloading is the only way I can listen to British music, and I do buy it when they very rarely try to break over here.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Feb 2010, 03:50
    It depends. If it's a band or artist like Tokio Hotel/Christina Aguilera who already makes millions on top of millions I don't feel guilty, but if they're an underground band/artist I do feel guilty & I end up buying their album if I like at least 1/2 of the songs.

• I agree pretty much with elfaerie.
    Also, I actually do buy my share of music. I think about thirty to fourty percent of my library is bought online. Thing is a lot of music I would like to have, simply can't be bought.
    As long as music corporations don't extend their online catalogues, I don't see any other possibility than pirating.

• Nope. I download most of my music but I buy CD's of artists I really like. I used to use limewire until it shut down now I use downloads.nl. I have over 300 songs on iTunes. Imagine how much money it would have cost if I bought ALL Of them.

• I'll buy a CD or something if it's worth it, but I'm usually going to get my music elsewhere.... allegedly

• I just don't care.

• I used to.

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this." - Distress
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.