Does anyone feel guilty about pirating?

• Does anyone feel guilty about pirating?

Downloading music on Napster was the first way I found music that I actually liked. If I like an artist, I'll buy their stuff. Does anyone actually feel bad for downloading music?

Sit back and watch... as the sky falls down.
    • Kragey said...
    • User
    • 28 Oct 2006, 23:56
    To be short, no. I've got a very long and detailed opinion on this, but I'm too lazy to type it up right now. =P

• i do it but i usually buy the cd after i download it because i sorta do feel guilty except for certain artists XD

• no, i don't. Because if i like only a few songs of an artist, i'm not going to buy the cd.. and i don't have the money for it.

• Natiko said...
    • User
    • 29 Oct 2006, 22:22
    Uh, I guess... It really depends.. I don't spend my days downloading over 100 songs in a day, so...Not really...but if I really like some songs, I will buy the cd.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Oct 2006, 04:38
    Not really, downloading music makes it easier for me to access my fave "at the moment music" i like changing variaties. i wont want to buy a cd cuz i know several months later i wont be into it. Where as downloading music i can just delete it when i dont like it anymore and im not wasting money.

• not at all

Not at all.....I download mostly undergound music and rare records(and vinyls).....then I show or play that to friends and it becomes more popular.....and I also go to their concerts when they're NOT AT ALL

• Yeah, I'm like heartXcore...
    One month I listen to a lot of ska, the next month hardcore, the next month rap, and the next month swing.
    My music interests aren't consistent enough (With the exception of reggae) to buy cds.

Feed Rescued Animals...
    Just click the purple button, and it gives .6 bowls of food to rescued animals. It takes no more than 10 seconds.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Nov 2006, 14:33
    To truly apreciate music, you don't get out of it that easily. I like to invest my money on experimental albums. Meaning, if I can't get anything by that artist, I'll go out and buy it (only after hearing good things though).

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Nov 2006, 04:18
    I download my J-pop and J-rock music. it'd cost me too much to import.

• Jazzical said:

What is some good Japanese music?

Sit back and watch... as the sky falls down.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 7 Nov 2006, 14:26
    zachattack1987 said:
    Jazzical said:

What is some good Japanese music?

hmmmmm, i'd say
    The Pillows. but i discovered and love SPARTA LOCALS.

• Guranga said...
    • User
    • 7 Nov 2006, 15:01
    I try to balance between buying albums and downloading them. That way although i'm not totally kosher and buying all my albums, at least i'm giving something back into the industry. Got to remember some bands actually get more money from doing tours than they do selling albums, and band merch makes good money, it's not all about CD sales.

• No. Not at all. I don't like to buy cd's till I've heard most of the tracks so d/loading usually leads to buying the cd... I hate buying crap that turns out to be full of filler

• rekluz said...
    • User
    • 8 Nov 2006, 11:46
    i do. i would say only about 20% of my music collection is from actual CDs. Probably saved at least $1000 or more from DLing mp3s ;) But I buy CDs when i HAVE to i.e. can't find the music anywhere on the net... yall should buy CDs or pay for mp3s every now and then though =D

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 8 Nov 2006, 16:32
    MMMmmmmm... More or less, 'cause I only feel guilty if I download a CD of one of my favourite artists; If I really like listening to them, I should buy their CDs...

• If I would only listen to music I buy, I wouldnt know even half the great bands I listen to. If I listen to an album, that's good, I buy it when I have the money. But who has enough money to buy all these albums he wants to have? Not me... but my collection is getting bigger and bigger every year. Another album, another dozen of songs I don't have to feel guilty for ;)

Edit: the music is (or better: should be) free! The pressed CD with booklet, cover and stuff is the product I pay for, not the music. That's my vision of an perfect world ;)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 10 Nov 2006, 19:45
    I don't feel guilty about downloading (I use limewire), but I do try to buy the CDs of the artists I absolutely love so I can support them, and I have been lately buying a lot of cds off Itunes. So, I guess I have a mix of buying and downloading.

• Hmm, I use an mp3 search engine, but eventually I'll try to buy the CDs if I can... I download music to preview it, if I like it, I'll buy it too :)

• Nope. I don't have the money to go and buy like ten CD's all at once. I only buy certain CD's if I love the Art. Beatles CDs for example.

• IanAR said...
    • Subscriber
    • 28 Jan 2007, 09:55

Theft > Receipt of Stolen Dross

I'd feel guilty about passing off others' creative works (i.e. uploading or serving pirated music), but less so about downloading it.

However, I have better things to do with my time that to spend hours amassing a collection of low quality MP3s (I'm an audiophile and, in the main, only collect loss-less formats). - Ian

• No. Downloading music makes it easier for me to know different artists and music genres, but I always buy cd's of the bands I really like.

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
    ― Oscar Wilde
  • I don't feel guilty for ME. I just push it down into a bitter ball inside and then let it out at an appropriate time. :)

<style type="text/css">.lastfmWidget {float:left;width:100%;}.lastfmWidget object {float:left;}.lastfmWidget div {height:20px;}.lastfmWidget a {overflow:hidden;height:20px;margin:0;padding:0;text-decoration:none;}.lastfmHead a {float:left;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0 -20px;}.lastfmHead a:hover {background-position: 0 0;}.lastfmFoot {clear:left;float:left;background-repeat:repeat-x;background-position:0 100%;}.lastfmFoot a {float:right;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0 -20px;}.lastfmFoot a.config {width:85px;background-position: 0 -20px;}.lastfmFoot a.config:hover {background-position: 0 0;}.lastfmFoot a.view {width:74px;background-position:-85px -20px;}.lastfmFoot a.view:hover {background-position:-85px 0;}.lastfmFoot a.popup {width:25px;background-position:-159px -20px;}.lastfmFoot a.popup:hover {background-position:-159px 0;}</style>
    <div class="lastfmWidget"><div class="lastfmHead" style="width:184px;"><a title="OpalDecept: Recently Listened Tracks" href=""; target="_blank" style="background-image:url(;width:184px;"></a></div><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="184" height="179" codebase=",0,0,0"><param name="bgcolor" value="000000" /><param name="movie" value=""; /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="FlashVars" value="type=recenttracks&amp;user=OpalDecept&amp;theme=black" /><embed src=""; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="widgetPlayer" bgcolor="000000" width="184" height="179" quality="high" pluginspage=""; FlashVars="type=recenttracks&amp;user=OpalDecept&amp;theme=black" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain"></embed></object><div class="lastfmFoot" style="background-image:url(;width:184px;"><a class="popup" title="Load this chart in a pop up" href=";colour=black&amp;chartType=recenttracks&amp;user=OpalDecept&amp;from=widget&amp;resize=1"; target="_blank" onclick=" + '&amp;shrink=0', 'lastfm_popup', 'height=259, width=224, location=no, toolbar=no, menubar=no, directories=no, personalbar=no, status=no, resizable=yes, scrollbars=no'); return false;" style="background-image:url(;"></a><a class="view" title="View OpalDecept's profile" href=""; target="_blank" style="background-image:url(;"></a><a class="config" title="Get your own" href=";colour=black&amp;chartType=recenttracks&amp;user=OpalDecept&amp;from=widget"; target="_blank" style="background-image:url(;"></a></div></div>
  • No I think thats what music is about but I am not sure its pirating

• No... Not at all...

The Big Afraid at
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.