The Biblical accounts of the miracles of Jesus

• The Biblical accounts of the miracles of Jesus

I was talking to a christian yesterday who presented me with a question for which I had no answer except to say "Good question." He asked me why there were no accounts denying the feedings of the 4000 and 5000 as are mentioned in the various gospels. He said that with such a large number of people supposedly being in attendance that if no such thing took place there would be widespread denials of the accuracy of the reports.

I said I thought his assesment was a reasonable one. But I have two main questions about it:

First, does it actually make sense for there to be contemporary widespread denials of the claims? I'm not sure how known they were prior to Jesus becoming immortalized.

Second, I'm not sure that there aren't/weren't denials of their accuracy. Does anyone here know if this is/was actually the case?

• It's quite easy, actually. If it never happened, there never were 4000 or 5000 people in attending.

If I say to you "yesterday, I was in a group of ten thousand people and we saw cakes turning into candles!" and then point to you that there is no one who is disputing that there was a group who saw cakes turning into candles, does that mean it actually happened?

You can't cite the story to support the story, that is circular. A similar arugment (that is actually used) is asking "If the resurrection didn't take place, how do you explain the empty tomb?"

Meshuggah: "A combination of the powerful and the avant-garde, the band is as visceral and imposing an act as you’ll ever see and hear, guitarists Fredrik Thordendal, Mårten Hagström, and bassist Dick Lövgren hammering out lurching, monolithic riffs as they headbang in robotic unison, vocalist Jens Kidman barking out surreal verses like a twisted drill sergeant while gesticulating like a puppet on strings. - Adrien Begrand (PopMatters)
    Edited by Waldheri on 30 Oct 2010, 09:18
    • 8GotH8 said...
    • User
    • 30 Oct 2010, 03:14
    hahaha wow, good answer couldn't have been better!

Monday, 29 January, 1932:
    Something has happened to me, I can't doubt it any more.
    • ntgembu said...
    • User
    • 9 Nov 2010, 02:53

[spam]

[spam]

Edited by hjbardenhagen on 20 Feb 2012, 12:02
  • [spam]

[spam]

i'm not satan, i was just bluffing, it was two sixes and a nine
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 28 Jul 2011, 11:01
  • [spam]

[spam]

i'm not satan, i was just bluffing, it was two sixes and a nine
    Edited by hjbardenhagen on 28 Jul 2011, 11:01
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.