The problem

• The problem

I agree with the initial statement on the description of this group, something about mainstream rap music being crap. However having now browsed the forums I am alarmed by the attitudes of some people. Many people are claiming that rap can't be considered music because it is "just talking" over a looped beat and is all about money and bitches. First off, define "music". Music is sounds. People are saying that the atonal nature of a rapper's vocals exclude it from being music, but a drum kit is largely atonal, does that make the drums a non-musical instrument? Just because a lot of the music you hear involves the vocals being tonal doesn't mean that the tonal part of a song has to be the vocals. Music is also about rhythm, expression, education and many other things. Fair enough if you don't like rap, but saying things like "omg rap isn't music its just talking. all rappers are dumb black people and vice versa" is moronic. Rap music has influenced the entire music world in a big way, yet people seem to be taking the current mainstream rap image, judging an entire musical genre and then throwing in some lovely juicy racism as well. The roots of rap were all about justice and social commentary, yet it seems that today ignorance and hate are still around in full force, and 50 Cent and Snoop Dog are doing little to help the situation. Hence I hate mainstream rap and hence I joined this group.

• God Harold, have you actually listened to a hate metal record recently? That's real music mate, swear to god mate.

Rule of acquisition #407: You are gay
  • God Harold, have you actually listened to a hate metal record recently? That's real music mate, swear to god mate.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 30 Sep 2006, 13:43
    Yeah that's a really constructive argument you got there ;)
    Still, I think he has some points.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Oct 2006, 11:22
    (NB: This is cross-posted from a post I made about 10 minutes ago. I'm saying the same thing, so I'm hardly going to rewrite it. I type enough as it is :))

I am opposed to any kind of rap because I regard it as a bad medium. It almost never features (what I regard as) real instruments: guitar, bass, drums. In my humble opinion, synthesisers whould be a servant rather than a master. They are tastefully used in many of the songs I listen to, but it's almost unheard of for me to play a drum machine or a synthetic main riff.

Also, the way of singing just annoys me. In fact, I don't see how it can be regarded as singing at all. Therefore, even a very good song with a powerful message is ruined by the fact that it's delivered in a rap style.

This is my opinion, and you're free to disagree with it. But I don't see why you come to this group and disrupt people who want to be left in peace with their anti-rap views. If you like rap, go and join a rap group and post there, not here!

• Because most of the idiots on this forum make incorrect assumptions and base their narrow-minded opinions on experiences from about 3 chart hip hop 'groups'.

• Well I cannot fight with the fact that mainstrem rap is pure shit! but Music is a selfdefined term many people will have diffrent views on what "Music" really is. But in raps reguard claling it music just cannot be done, usually music require some sort of singing, they talk. Talent? okay yes they can rhyme, but if thats all they can do, where the talent? i'd like to see noe pick up a guitar and start playing.

DEUTSCHLAND!

FICK JA!
  • Man, you guys really are retarded. Not a single one of you could pick up a microphone and rap with the same precision and flow as most rappers in the underground scene. It's all easy to bang on about how anyone can talk, but the sad fact is that none of you could master a wicked flow without years of practice. I challenge any of you morons to prove me wrong, record a 'rap song' if it's so fucking easy.
    Oh and I think rap is music, therefore it is.

• billsd said...
    • User
    • 3 Oct 2006, 03:09
    DJTheBlade said:
    Man, you guys really are retarded. Not a single one of you could pick up a microphone and rap with the same precision and flow as most rappers in the underground scene. It's all easy to bang on about how anyone can talk, but the sad fact is that none of you could master a wicked flow without years of practice. I challenge any of you morons to prove me wrong, record a 'rap song' if it's so fucking easy.
    The thing that TRULY lost me there was the "you guys really are retarded". You attack several people for what a select few say. Mature? Not quite.

I for one haven't said a thing against underground rap. In fact, some of the greatest music I have heard comes from underground rap. They truly know what they are talking about, are not doing it for the money alone, and have points I can relate to in their music. Some of the known underground rappers are good; enough said.

However, on a topic related to the initial post, I agree with mostly everything said. Many will falsely claim rap is not music because it is generally computer-generated backgrounds in comparison to guitar, bass, drums, even keyboard seldomly. However, nothing in any definition of music I have seen has said anything about a nessecity of guitars, basses, and drums.

I'll stop rambling. Though, for the most part, this topic is slowly going nowhere. I can see the point, however.

• The group as well the group description is written in exactly the same style as the posts made by the morons above, hence you'd have to be a bit of a retard to really join the group and join in with their poorly constructed arguments. Unless of course you also joined to tell them they're incorrect.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 21 Aug 2007, 13:05
    The "official" definition of music I had to learn at school was " Music is anything made of sound and silence". So technically, tapping my finger on the desk is music. But whether something is worth listening to is another whole story.

• DJTheBlade said:
    The group as well the group description is written in exactly the same style as the posts made by the morons above, hence you'd have to be a bit of a retard to really join the group and join in with their poorly constructed arguments. Unless of course you also joined to tell them they're incorrect.

I joined because every rap song I've ever heard sucked total ass. And they all sound exactly the same. And all the morons dressing up as "gangstas" holding their guns sideways. And how popular it is with school kids trying to act tough just to fit in.

DJTheBlade said:
    Man, you guys really are retarded. Not a single one of you could pick up a microphone and rap with the same precision and flow as most rappers in the underground scene. It's all easy to bang on about how anyone can talk, but the sad fact is that none of you could master a wicked flow without years of practice. I challenge any of you morons to prove me wrong, record a 'rap song' if it's so fucking easy.

Why would I want to if it sucks so bad? A class of grade 2s could come up with those 'phat beats' in no time. Even play them on a freaking xylophone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One time, I was driving, and my camshaft froze up so I had to manually move it by hand. And it was hard.
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 28 Aug 2007, 15:19
    Amen to DuckingSwan's post. Can't we just ban that moron DJTheBlade?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Mar 2008, 16:32
    THE PROBLEM IS WHEN YOUR FATHER FUCKED YOUR MOTHER AND CREATED YOU. YOU ARE A FUCKING MISCREANT YOU PLAGUE THE WORLD WITH YOUR FECAL INFERIOR FUCKING MIND. BOW TO YOUR ARYAN MASTER YOU FUCKING SUBHUMAN FAGGOT

• The previous poster - again - JUSTIFIED the existence of this group. Read our group logo, motherfvcker.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Jul 2008, 20:27
    why would you join a group to discuss music with people who also hated rap? are you gonna get together and decide what music is good and what music is bad?

why would you join a hate group?

its not even funny

well it is, i find it fucking hilarious.

i think the 3 most important acts in mainstream music nowadays is Animal collective, Battles and Mastodon
    these guys are making original inspiring music but also completely challenging the notion of what 'good' music is. 'good' music, what a subjective fucking term. its totally useless.

sheep.

• "Rap music has influenced the entire music world in a big way"

the usual kind of crap... errrrrr...
    and how did they do that? by increasing the number of bitches? or maybe by teaching people how to steal and portraying a "thug" as a hero and if he runs from the police and has many bitches around him and a humongous rim hanging from his nick then hes a demigod... -_-

all i can tell you is:

Go and shoot yourself in the head

*ps* f*ck you and f*ck stalin before you put his picture as ur f*cking avatar go and read about what he did to his people and to the other innocent nations you sick faggot.

*Message directed to Harold_Shipman*

• HyDraGeN said:

Harold_Shitman is no longer a member of this fine group. You may want to post a note in his shout box :)

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 16 Jul 2008, 17:39
    HyDraGeN said:
    "Rap music has influenced the entire music world in a big way"

the usual kind of crap... errrrrr...
    and how did they do that? by increasing the number of bitches? or maybe by teaching people how to steal and portraying a "thug" as a hero and if he runs from the police and has many bitches around him and a humongous rim hanging from his nick then hes a demigod... -_-

all i can tell you is:

Go and shoot yourself in the head

*ps* f*ck you and f*ck stalin before you put his picture as ur f*cking avatar go and read about what he did to his people and to the other innocent nations you sick faggot.

Fail. KRS-One is one of the most respected and acclaimed rappers ever. He supports education.

• Darsa said:
    KRS-One is one of the most respected and acclaimed rappers ever. He supports education.

I "support education" through my real estate taxes. Does that qualify me to be a "well respected rapper"?

• Piro24 said:
    The "official" definition of music I had to learn at school was " Music is anything made of sound and silence". So technically, tapping my finger on the desk is music...

Noise of any kind is not music.
    According to the Random House College Dictionary:
    Music - The art of combining and regulating sounds of varying pitch to produce compositions expressive of various ideas and emotions.
    Musician - A person who makes music a profession, a person skilled in playing a musical instrument.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jul 2008, 13:52
    Manowar1 said:
    Piro24 said:
    The "official" definition of music I had to learn at school was " Music is anything made of sound and silence". So technically, tapping my finger on the desk is music...

Music - The art of combining and regulating sounds of varying pitch to produce compositions expressive of various ideas and emotions.
    Musician - A person who makes music a profession, a person skilled in playing a musical instrument.

Actually, it does mean that rap is music. Rappers make music=rappers are musicians.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 17 Jul 2008, 14:25
    Manowar1 said:
    Darsa said:
    KRS-One is one of the most respected and acclaimed rappers ever. He supports education.

I "support education" through my real estate taxes. Does that qualify me to be a "well respected rapper"?

KRS-One also got his acclaimed thanks to making great songs. Just listen to "By All Means Necessary" back when he was in Boogie Down Productions. He's rapping and rhymes were ahead of their time. The beats weren't super-amazing, but it's minimalism.

• Darsa said:
    Manowar1 said:
    Piro24 said:

Actually, it does mean that rap is music. Rappers make music=rappers are musicians.

This is not what I meant to address when I wrote it, I quoted the comment I tried to answer. But now you brought rap into it.
    In the case rap tracks one or more or all of the following are missing:
    - Art
    - Sounds of varying pitch (a tune)
    - Combining and regulating sounds
    - Skilled musician
    - Musical instruments

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 19 Jul 2008, 14:09
    Manowar1 said:
    Darsa said:
    Manowar1 said:
    Piro24 said:

This is not what I meant to address when I wrote it, I quoted the comment I tried to answer. But now you brought rap into it.
    In the case rap tracks one or more or all of the following are missing:
    - Art
    - Sounds of varying pitch (a tune)
    - Combining and regulating sounds
    - Skilled musician
    - Musical instruments

-Art
    Hip-Hop that bases itself around lyrics-Lyrical art
    -Sounds of varying pitch (a tune)
    Not all music needs that. Music has no boundries. Besides, unless the beats focous on atmospheric sounds like El-P, they have a melody/tune
    -Combining And Regulating sounds
    That what makes music, music. There is combining and regulating. Welcome to the world of non-metal music
    -Skilled Musicians
    Almost every rap artists that's worth listening to either produces good beats, raps great or write great lyrics. There's also perfomance, rappers know how to let their personality control their music
    -Musical Instruments
    Not all music needs instruments. Vocals are also considered instruments. Infact, vocals are most "real" because they come straight from the human-not some kind of tool.

Let's debate over this.

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.