Help Wanted: Americana Connected Artists

• tdstone said...
    • User
    • 26 Feb 2009, 18:43

Help Wanted: Americana Connected Artists

I am looking for your suggestions for artists (or record labels) that should be included in the "Connections" section of this group...I added several today that were top of mind for me. I hope they fit your definition of artists to be included in this group:

Mary Gauthier, Patti Griffin, Kasey Chambers, Jim Lauderdale, Lucinda Williams, Johnny Cash, The Avett Brothers, Slaid Cleaves, Tift Merritt, Hayes Carll, The Handsome Family, Fred Eaglesmith, Townes Van Zandt.

Many of these were huge oversights on my part and should have been added long ago.

It is a challenge to draw clean lines around this genre (not that that is terribly important) but I ask myself where does Americana end and country begin? the same could be said of folk or blues. I see a strong overlap with what has been defined as alt.country (but even No Depression had a hard time putting a finger on that one. I am always looking for artists who do not sit easily within any of those broader categories, but draw there inspiration from many of them.

I welcome your suggestions...!

• Chris Knight

I think Chris Knight should be included

• The ones you added fit perfectly. People who show country influences, but are not strictly country....but I know it's really hard to categorize! I just discovered Sera Cahoone, I think she fits perfectly. She shows a lot of Neil Young influence.

• Americana

• Drive By Truckers
    Centromatic
    Slobberbone (RIP)
    Two Cow Garage
    Mothertruckers
    BR5-49
    Old 97s
    Railbenders
    Joe Ely
    Gas Money
    Deadstring Brothers
    James MacMurtry
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Robert Earl Keen
    etc.

I void warranties. If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it.
  • ŦΣsTŶ→ƒℓỳ☼
  • American Gun
    Lucero
    Don Chambers & Goat

• Cate Doefer
  • Cate Doefer
  • Ok, I knew it!! Levon Helm is all ready connected. Sorry, didn't know how to check ;-)

• Ok. Buddy & Julie Miller I did not see in the "connected artists". Good, good Americana stuff they have ;-) I see that Buddy Miller is connected, though, so good on ya!!

• I would absolutely add The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They have whole albums dedicated to patriotic songs, folk songs, a Civil War album, etc.

My super-eclectic music score is currently

613/1000

• tjpc74 said...
    • User
    • 10 Jan 2010, 11:28

Stevie

Is Steve Earle in the group?

tjpc74
  • The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - may have been mentioned by others, but I don't see it under connections.

My super-eclectic music score is currently

613/1000

• Thanks!

Tried to get our Americana Connected Artists caught up a bit. I've been adding from the Americana Radio chart on an irregular basis. There's some recc's here I want to tune in before we add on, too.

Keep 'em coming.
    -jc

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana
    Big City
  • Useful addition

Hello all,

Newly digitized and uploaded is the last Popealopes (early 90s, Davis, CA) lp, entitled _Slowest Eye_. Loosely associated w/ Opal, Bottlerockets, Uncle Tupelo, Thin White Rope, and an inspiration to Grandaddy, among others.

There are currently full tracks for listening, and one free download.

Cheers,

TT

• Gretchen Peters!
    Check out "Circus Girl" Brilliant!!!!!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.