The Ray Wilson Era

• gmluk said...
    • User
    • 1 Aug 2010, 00:22

The Ray Wilson Era

I've been a fan of Genesis for a long time and have appreciated both Phil Collins' and Peter Gabriel's singing, although Phil's voice is more appealing to me. As for the music, hey I like songs from all albums whether 'progressive' or not, they are still ultimately Genesis. However, I've been exploring Last.fm so much recently that I took my eye off the Genesis ball for a while (so many amazing bands out there that I would never have discovered without LFM.

Anyway, my point............

I've just been exploring YouTube for Genesis clips that may have passed me by, and found the live performances from Ray Wilson's era with the band in 1998. I have to say......i think he was superb. I understand that the change was too much for some people, but the songs he performs, which cover all eras, and which must have been a tremendous challenge to him given the army of hardcore fans, are sung with great skill, passion, and respect for the material.

I only wish his relationship with the band had been allowed to continue and develop, and that the progressive nature of Genesis had been re-explored. As big a fan of Phil Collins as I am, by We Can't Dance, his contribution seemed to be outweighing Banks and Rutherford, and that was never meant to be.

YouTube has it's own special breed of haters leaving comments, so just wanted to see what real Genesis fans think of the Ray Wilson era? Well this is 'All-Eras' after all!

• t3hpez said...
    • Subscriber
    • 1 Aug 2010, 11:53
    All-Eras indeed! Yeah, I had a similar time of exploration on YouTube. I ended up downloading an entire pro-shot show from the Calling All Stations tour and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I agree that Ray did a fantastic job especially on the more gritty Genesis songs like Mama, I thought.

The 'Calling All Stations' album is far from a favourite of mine but I do listen to it and particularly enjoy the title track, very heartfelt track by Mike and Ray's voice is irreplaceable in it.

I agree that it would have been good to see them attempt some progressive songwriting. It seems to me that Mike and Tony were rather harsh on Ray, just discarding him when they deemed fit. They should have given him a chance! It's not his fault they didn't write any hits for the album ;)

The two years in-the-making Fuente album is called '1700 Recycled Brothers + Sisters of Bedlam'. Enjoy it for free: http://fuente.bandcamp.com
    • gmluk said...
    • User
    • 3 Aug 2010, 23:25
    It was interesting to hear Genesis without Phil, and after the incredible opening title track i was sure they were on to a winner. Then I felt a little cheated - the rest of the album simply could not live up to the standard set by the opener. It wasn't all bad though - "not about us", "there must be some other way", "alien afternoon", and "uncertain weather" i thought were pretty good but the rest was mediocre at best. In any case, I don't think anyone could really put the albums shortcomings down to Ray -he just needed better material. That was sadly lacking.

• t3hpez said...
    • Subscriber
    • 4 Sep 2010, 23:33
    I like the last part of Alien Afternoon especially, the chords are pure Tony!

The two years in-the-making Fuente album is called '1700 Recycled Brothers + Sisters of Bedlam'. Enjoy it for free: http://fuente.bandcamp.com
  • Calling All Stations is a darker album than any Collins albums and think it's a good album.They went in a different direction to what people were used to and if they'd made as drastic a change with A Trick Of The Tail,maybe the band wouldn't have continued after that album and we would've missed out on some Genesis classics so who knows what we've missed out on if they'd carried on with Ray

• t3hpez said...
    • Subscriber
    • 2 Sep 2012, 21:35
    judging from what Tony and Mike have to say about the album, they were way too concerned with commercial success at that point. Ray was the man, he didn't care how well it did. that's the attitude Tony and Mike really needed. I think it's that way of thinking that ended up killing Genesis.

you're right, if they'd carried on and set themselves free, they could have made something really compelling. shame!

• CAS could have played a similar role to what ...attwt... did: a transition album written mostly by Tony & Mike leading to rediscovering and reinventing themselves. Sadly, it was not to be. I waited so long for that followup album, too...

• I absolutely adore Ray Wilson! I like Stiltskin and didn't mind Calling All Stations. I have heard his solo stuff live too where he played a mixture of stuff including Genesis material. Saw him this week with Steve Hackett and he was brilliant. He's got a great voice!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.