Good survival horrors

• Gemeos said...
    • User
    • 25 Dec 2006, 23:58

Good survival horrors

I was thinking of buying some good survival horrors for ps 2 because i cleared almost all of the Resident evil series for ps1 and ps2 (code veronica and RES 4 ) and i got even more addicted into survival horror games. I dont care if they arent action based i just want horror! XD

• alekk said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2006, 13:21
    Silent Hill. Nuff said! All 4 playstation titles are great games. Silent Hill 1 and 2 still scare the hell out of me.

I feel that Resident Evil is more of an action series than survival horror. They are good nonetheless, just falsely labeled in my opinion.

Since we are on the topic, has anyone played Rule of Rose? It was banned here in Australia. I've been trying to decide whether I should bother importing it or not. I've read quite a number of bad reviews. The gameplay is really poor apparently and the story doesn't make much sense. But I see a lot of praise for the cinematics. I'm think it will be worth it purely for that reason, but I want some more opinions...

My music HERE (free downloads).
    • Gemeos said...
    • User
    • 27 Dec 2006, 20:17
    Check gamespot they usually make good reviews.
    And has for your advice: I was thinking of getting silent hill 2 mainly because of the story yet i dont know if it is worth it enought. Everybody else said great stuff about Silent Hill 4 the room thought

• Gemeos said...
    • User
    • 30 Dec 2006, 14:03
    I have rule of rose and ive played it a litle. The gameplay is a little cranky but the environment is genious and disturbing althought the GFX arent that good. If you like silent hill i suggest you get Rule of Rose

• ghozza said...
    • User
    • 15 Jan 2007, 14:57
    Gemeos said:
    I was thinking of buying some good survival horrors for ps 2 because i cleared almost all of the Resident evil series for ps1 and ps2 (code veronica and RES 4 ) and i got even more addicted into survival horror games. I dont care if they arent action based i just want horror! XD

Great choice!
    ((((ヽ(`0´)ノ))))バーリアッ

I would recommend: ObsCure, Cold Fear, Project Zero『零』, Haunting Ground『DEMENTO』 and Forbidden Siren『SIREN』.

'There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.' -Alfred Hitchcock-
    • shamoke said...
    • User
    • 8 Feb 2007, 14:47
    There aren't any good survival horrors.

I'm waiting for Post-Music.
  • Although resident evil created the genre (as far as I can tell, the original res evil was the first of its kind) I believe silent hill captured it and perfected it."survival horror" was more of a "survival creepy run-away-from-that-same-damn-zombie-again" before silent hill defined the horror part. The original silent hill was the first and only game to give me a real rush. ever. I'm sure that would extend to 2,3 and 4 if I get around to playing them, which I really hope to do.

Oh, and Dino Crisis was crap. It was basically a failure at becoming a resident evil wannabe. Dinosaurs are not scary, and they tried to get around that by moving down the scale of horror to the lowest rank (highest being fear of the unknown, fear of mutilation and gore in the middle, and the shock value of having things jump out and make really loud noises at the very bottom of the horror scale)

Yes, dino crisis will make you jump. but a real survival horror makes you cower. Silent Hill FTW.

~All I really want is a moment without an end.
  • PS2 is too limiting...

I'm not a fan of survival horrors, but SNES Clock Tower (translatable from Japanes through an IPS patch) is a game I love -although I suck at it-. Those footsteps and dreeping sounds...
    Too bad the PSX sequel is awful.

For PS2... I've seen Forbidden Siren 2 quite extensively, and it looks good.
    For PC, System Shock (CD version) and System Shock 2 are games you should try. Most frightening FPSs ever. There is information on getting them running at VOGONS and TTLG's forums

Dino Crisis 2 was real fun, with its wonderful auto-aiming.

But the definitive horror games are the Kingdom Hearts series... Just to think that they exist... and will last forever... I shiver...

Top nine weekly albums:
  • EloraHRanma said:
    For PC, System Shock (CD version) and System Shock 2 are games you should try. Most frightening FPSs ever.

And soon to be BioShock! Yummy!

• Bioshock... buaaaaaaaahh!

I'll have to buy a new PC for Bioshock... or predate my partner's for hours. I hope he won't mind switching rooms for a week.

Top nine weekly albums:
  • I'll definitely need an upgrade when that comes out. I've been wanting to upgrade for ages and that will finally give me a good excuse.

• Resurrecting old threads

Does anyone know if there is some kind of port of the original Alone in the Dark for PS2? 'Cause then that would be the definitive Survival Horror. Resident Evil created what genre?

Top nine weekly albums:
Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.