Rate the above user's musical taste according to yours

• I'll give you an 8/10 as it seems you appreciate actual punk. That and you listen to The Briefs. I didn't know anyone else had ever heard of them.

You must've really had to dig to find FOB, P!ATD and James Blunt as I barely listen to them at all. Acceptance is very catchy which is the only reason I caught onto them in the first place. As for HH, what the hell are you talking about? I wish those guys would crash their tour bus into Cute Is What We Aim For's tour bus, simultaneously killing everyone responsible for those terrible bands. Only the drivers survive.

My Last.fm isn't a good barometer of my favorite bands. This is:

1. Faith No More
    2. Alkaline Trio
    3. Elliott Smith
    4. In Flames (early In Flames is better)
    5. Soundgarden
    6. Bad Religion and a number of other punk bands
    7. Give Up The Ghost
    8. Death Cab For Cutie
    9. Between The Buried And Me
    10. Damien Rice

But now it's me and luck
    Best of friends and drunk again and we're all going to Hell
    And what I mean to say is I mean that in the best possible way
  • ^
    thats not bad, you've got a nice list, though i'm personally not much of a faith no more fan. I can understand why you like it though... :)

7/10

• I'll go with the 7/10 also. NOFX and Offspring is a good start but I can't give higher than that after seeing Jack Johnson.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 1 Sep 2006, 01:22
    1/10

• -1000. I'm basing this rating not on your taste of music but on my assumption that you are yet another elitist prick who thinks listening to Fugazi and Rites Of Spring somehow makes you better than those listening to modern music.

Here's a clue: it makes you even more of a retard because those bands helped spawn this new wave of so-called punk bands (which is hilarious considering Fugazi and ROS were simply emo-core bands, but that's besides the point).

Bottom line is if you're going to be an elitist about punk drop the Fugazi and ROS and get some actual punk like Bad Religion or Minor Threat.

But now it's me and luck
  • This whole debate really comes to this:

fucking elitists...

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2006, 00:38
    t3h1337j35u5 said:
    -1000. I'm basing this rating not on your taste of music but on my assumption that you are yet another elitist prick who thinks listening to Fugazi and Rites Of Spring somehow makes you better than those listening to modern music.

Here's a clue: it makes you even more of a retard because those bands helped spawn this new wave of so-called punk bands (which is hilarious considering Fugazi and ROS were simply emo-core bands, but that's besides the point).

Bottom line is if you're going to be an elitist about punk drop the Fugazi and ROS and get some actual punk like Bad Religion or Minor Threat.

I understand why you are pissed, but saying that Fugazi isn't real punk and that Bad Religion is is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Fugazi is THE punk band in every single way you could imagine, especially ethically. Also, if you want to try to get all historically knowledgable on someone, Fugazi and Rites of Spring were both POST HARDCORE bands that formed in reaction to the violence running rampant throughout most local scenes (alot of it straight edge related). Emo-core is not a genre of music. Unless you are trying to say Emotive Hardcore, which in itself is stupid because it was a term invented by the mainstream music press. Emo was what magazines like rolling stone labeled the post hardcore movement. A cute catchphrase for the masses.

I fail to see how Fugazi/Rites of Spring are responsible for the current mass of "so called punk bands". The word emo (which didn't mean anything to begin with) is now being applied to bands that have nothing to do with the original categorization. So saying that they "invented emo" as some people like to claim is untrue because emo no longer means what it used to. It used to mean Post Hardcore. Now it is generally used to label overly whiny alternative rock bands.

And to conclude my elitist rant, I will give Mr. Xanathos a 7/10. I don't really like most of the bands you listen to, but I have no major qualms with them (outside of bowling for soup). Also, I bumped you up a point because Gogol Bordello is rad.

• Fugazi does abide by the DIY punk ethic, but like you said, they were more post-hardcore than anything else, whereas Bad Religion was and still is straight-up punk. Also, Fugazi could almost be considered more straight edge than punk, especially since MacKaye basically created the philosophy himself. *note to self: could also be said about Minor Threat... hmm*

It wasn't just critics that were referring to bands like Fugazi and Rites Of Spring as emo-core. Hell, ROS even mentioned that a lot of their fans were calling them emo. While I agree that the term is meaningless crap, it's hard to deny they carried it forward, intentionally or not. I realize I probably should have been more specific there. Moving on, Fugazi was the biggest "offender" (for lack of a better term) in this case by being a major influence on Jimmy Eat World and, more importantly, Sunny Day Real Estate. Thanks to SDRE along with Weezer in particular we have music which today is noted as emo. And screamo, but most of those bands are so bad it's better to just forget they exist.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 2 Sep 2006, 23:13
    Straight Edge isnt a style of music. It's a lifestyle choice thats usual vehicle is through hardcore music. Nothing Fugazi has EVER said relates to straight edge in any way shape or form and I would really like to see the look on Ian McKayes face if you tried to tell him Fugazi (or Minor Threat) was straight edge. He just wrote a song with a catchy chorus. He wasn't trying to start a movement and has distanced himself from it several times.

• No, he wasn't trying to start a movement, but the bands themselves lived the straight edge style. That was their personal choice.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2006, 07:04
    wow. you are the biggest waste of human life i've ever seen.

• *flames*

....what? everyone was doing it.
    i just wanted to be popular

• I'll give your musical taste a 10/10, I listen to a ton of the bands on your list... and LOL

Instead of being like everyone else though you simply managed to be like MrLawry. GV might not have agreed with much of what I said, but if that's supposed to be flaming, that's pretty weak.

Oh, and by the way MrLawry, I think you should take your elitist and anal-retentive self out of this thread unless you like having someone strike a nerve more than once.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2006, 16:32
    seriously though, shut the fuck up. you have no idea what you're talking about.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 3 Sep 2006, 23:09
    t3h1337j35u5 said:
    No, he wasn't trying to start a movement, but the bands themselves lived the straight edge style. That was their personal choice.

You don't understand what straight-edge is very well do you? Just because you live the lifestyle doesn't make you straight edge and even if it did, it really has no bearing on your music unless you write about it. Fugazi never wrote an "edge song". Ian Mackaye also specifically said in the intro to one song "this is not a set of rules." Also Jeff Nelson disagreed with the arrogant nature of straight edge.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Sep 2006, 16:13
    i don't get why people are so obsessed with classifying music into genres. does it make the music better knowing it is post harcore rather than punk? just sit back and enjoy instead of bitch slapping each other over something that is so irrelevant to the music's quality.

• tanya_1011 said:
    i don't get why people are so obsessed with classifying music into genres. does it make the music better knowing it is post harcore rather than punk? just sit back and enjoy instead of bitch slapping each other over something that is so irrelevant to the music's quality.

WORD.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 4 Sep 2006, 23:09
    Genres serve the purpose of allowing people to communicate aspects of music to each other without having to describe every fucking band in detail. They are also important in regards to music history which is important to people who have a deeper interest in music then simply enjoying some sound. It's pretty annoying to observe ignorant people waltz around proclaiming things to be what they are not, especially when they try to be high and mighty about it. If someone called a door a bird, wouldn't you correct them? And if they kept doing it anyway, wouldn't you get annoyed?

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2006, 00:20
    yeah but it doesn't need to involve insulting people and telling them they're "biggest waste of human life i've ever seen" or to "shut the fuck up" or other highlights: "elitists" and "retard" thats just catty and you should be able to explain your opinion without labelling someone when chances are you know nothing about their personality.

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2006, 04:03
    shut the fuck up

• [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2006, 04:51
    get a new theme loser, you've already said that and i hate to break it to you but people aren't gonna do what you say cause you swear at them and telling someone to "shut the fuck up" because you don't like what they're saying is so freaking immature.

• tanya_1011 said:
    yeah but it doesn't need to involve insulting people and telling them they're "biggest waste of human life i've ever seen" or to "shut the fuck up" or other highlights: "elitists" and "retard" thats just catty and you should be able to explain your opinion without labelling someone when chances are you know nothing about their personality.

Elitists are retarded by definition and you don't exactly see MrLawry saying he isn't an elitist. What's sad is Pete Wentz could probably kick the crap out of the collective bunch of them.

I've seen a few other posts from this turd and trust me, he's an elitist. His musical taste only confirmed what I thought initially.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 5 Sep 2006, 23:08
    pete wentz probably could, but how does that make you any fucking smarter or that fat bitch any less fat?

• Because I'm not some arrogant polesmoker who thinks I'm better than anyone else because I listen to a given band and hate another. I'll let her defend herself.

But now it's me and luck
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 6 Sep 2006, 02:32
    "elitism sees an elite as occupying a special position of authority or privilege in a group, set apart from the majority of people without the selected abilities or attributes"

wow! it's really not working out for you here. i'll tell you why. because you're a dumb wannabe stalker freakshow. no wait, you're a hardcore wannabe who should be segregated and made to go on separate buses from everyone else. and excuse me while i stop laughing, you concluded i'm fat from a profile pictures that shows my shoulders and head? Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.