American Hardcore

• American Hardcore

Anyone seen the movie yet? Anyone have the book?
    I just ordered it a few days ago.

• theres a movie? were can you order it

• im_james_dean said:
    theres a movie? were can you order it

its in theatres right now, but they're only playing it in large cities, Miami, NYC, LA,etc.

• I'm waiting for a Chicago screening. The book was cool but was way too bogged down in the personal opinions of Steven Blush.

• the soundtrack is avaliable.

• Shit, the Chicago showing is the same night as a show I'm going to. Hopefully there's an early afternoon showing.

• 25zero1 said...
    • User
    • 16 Oct 2006, 18:38
    the soundtrack is already out, i saw it at best buy the other day, it's mostly the bands that are mentioned on it, i guess you could call them their best song? it features gang green, bad brains, meat men, ss decontrol, black flag, minor threat, void, among some others.

• The book was cool

I read it about a year ago. I grew up at the tail end of the mid 80's NYHC scene. What he wrote about the early 80's is the stuff they used to brag about in the late 80's (the Bands). Twenty years later they are still talking about it... It was cool to read the LA stuff and the smaller scenes.

Rinjo Njori
    • hsos said...
    • User
    • 17 Oct 2006, 19:50
    nice compilation but guess some bands are missing that had a influence in the 80's like for me like verbal abuse, agnostic front, the dicks, but pretty cool comp i think

1. Nervous Breakdown - Black Flag
    2. Out Of Vogue - Middle Class
    3. Pay To Cum - Bad Brains
    4. Fucked Up Ronnie - D.O.A.
    5. Red Tape - Circle Jerks
    6. Filler - Minor Threat
    7. I Remember - MDC
    8. Nic Fit - Untouchables
    9. Kill A Commie - Gang Green
    10. Boston Not LA - The Freeze
    11. Straight Jacket - Jerry's Kids
    12. Boiling Point - SS Decontrol
    13. Who Are You/Time To Die - Void
    14. Came Without Warning - Scream
    15. Enemy For Life - YDI
    16. Runnin' Around - DRI
    17. Don't Tread On Me (1982 demo) - Cro-Mags
    18. Friend Or Foe (1983) - Negative Approach
    19. Bad Attitude - Articles of Faith
    20. Think For Me - Die Kreuzen
    21. I Hate Sports - 7 Seconds
    22. Brickwall - Big Boys
    23. I Was A Teenage Fuckup - Really Red
    24. I Hate Children (1980 demo) - Adolescents
    25. My Minds Disease - Battalion Of Saints
    26. Ha Ha Ha - Flipper

• Along with what hsos said, I hear there were some hard questions for Rachman, but I still really want to see it.

It only showed for a couple of days here and has already disapeared, but does anyone know when the DVD comes out?

• Oyml said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2006, 12:36
    Probably not for awhile. The website has listings pretty much through December for showing in theaters. The crazy thing is that it's actually showing in my town, Vero Beach, Florida. Who'da thunk we'd get a punk rock documentary here in retirementville? Not I, I tell you, but you can bet your ass I'll be there.

• krange said...
    • User
    • 20 Oct 2006, 12:53

American Hardcore

Besides Steve Bush's views of hardcore being dead after 1984, it's a real good movie. Those views towards the end of the book and the end of the movie are what ruin it a bit for me. All the footage is rad. I was stoked to see the SSD interview.

• if AH can come to Myrtle Beach

i will be pleased.

• Oyml said...
    • User
    • 22 Oct 2006, 10:47
    krange said:
    Besides Steve Bush's views of hardcore being dead after 1984, it's a real good movie. Those views towards the end of the book and the end of the movie are what ruin it a bit for me.

That's pretty much what everyone I've heard from that has seen it has said. MRR radio even did their last show with hardcore from the 90's and 2000's as proof that it didn't die back in the mid-80's...

• I saw the movie in Berkeley the other night, I thought it was really cool and there was some footage from shows and such that I hadn't seen before. So yeah, I'd say it's worth the 8 bucks or whatever.

• i wonder if any of these "scene", "screamo" kids go to these showings.

with their ill-educated understanding of hardcore, you'd think this would be a good thing.

• Oyml said...
    • User
    • 25 Oct 2006, 00:12
    Wow... Old school hardcore is *so* different than the new stuff, I doubt any of them would get it... Couldn't hurt, though.

• my friend went to the premier party/screening in new york and flipper played the show... it sounded awesome..

it was supposed to premier here in philly on friday but they pushed the date back a week, not sure why...

• seaic said...
    • User
    • 11 Nov 2006, 23:09
    well... does it matter who is going to these screenings? i mean whoever is into hardcore, no matter the particular 'strain' or 'category,' i think will be interested in knowing more about it and checking out the past.. those who aren't at least a bit passionate won't be sticking around for too long anyways.. my feeling at least.

i've got the book btw... have some disagreements with it particular where it says "hardcore died in '86" but there is some great documentation and am enjoying it... and at least it doesn't pretend to be objective (at least in my reading of it), though it is pretty factual.

music helps me breathe
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 15 Nov 2006, 03:08
    I saw the movie and read the book. It was so good i suggest everyone read that book and see the movie.

• seaic said:
    i've got the book btw... have some disagreements with it particular where it says "hardcore died in '86" but there is some great documentation and am enjoying it... and at least it doesn't pretend to be objective (at least in my reading of it), though it is pretty factual.

i agree about the whole "hardcore died in '86" but i do understand where they're coming from with their whole "disillusionment" after reagan's second presidential inauguration. i liked the way john joseph put it about being part of the whole "first wave" of hardcore... maybe hardcore didn't die, it just morphed into a different thing altogether...

• seaic said...
    • User
    • 19 Nov 2006, 12:44
    yeah.. i mean i agree with everything you've just said but saying "hardcore died in '86" which is what steven says basically is a very absolute comment.. it doesn't say that it stopped being what it was... or that it morphed.. however... i bring it up though because it's harsh to start a book off that way when it's obvious hardcore's not dead... it's not what it was... but things never can stay the same..

i also think that's his way of expressing things.. he likes to make pretty absolute/extreme comments in many other chapters and sections and i think it's part of what makes the book strong. i mean he does start by saying that this is as factual as it could get but the book definitely more than shows his preferences.

i have no problems with that... in fact i wish there were more books about hardcore because, as i see it, one of the problems is that often times you only get access to the same people being interviewed about the same things and saying the same things over and over again.. so it's good to get more stuff from the past and the present.. more people who've thought about where they stood back then and where they stand now... rather than the same recycled topics... anyways maybe it's got to do with my own opinions as well obviously :)

music helps me breathe
    • [Deleted user] said...
    • User
    • 22 Nov 2006, 23:10
    does anyone know when there will be a houston showing?

• I missed it, like I miss every damn movie that comes through ATL. I just do nothing but work.

Haven't read the book either. 'Scene' book usual leave me depressed and FAR too sentimental. Shit, I made it in the 'original' scene by the skin of my teeth -'85! HA! I remember going on and on about how great Black Flag were and then saw in RIP FRIGGIN' MAGAZINE that they had broken up. I was stunned.

No melody in loud music, please.
  • tomorrow

i'm gonna see this film tomorrow (at Shibuya, Tokyo). i'm very looking forward to it!

Anonymous users may not post messages. Please log in or create an account to post in the forums.