• Three most favorite artists?

Golly, you sure come up with a doozy of a question, yd!

I guess I'd have to say James Blood Ulmer, Solex and Bembeya Jazz National. But that's only valid today, and no snarking from the gallery about, "Well whadyamean? Duke Ellington's your top artist on last!" He asked for my favorite artists, not my most frequently listened to or the ones I respect most.

• ydebru a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 7 mars 2006, 3h26m

great!

this is what i wanted to see.
    ...stuff that i knew absolutely nothing about, but kicks ass, is glorious, in the proverbial sense.
    thanks for the tips.
    regards.
    ydebru

"I confess, I do not believe in time."

- Vladimir Nabokov
  • Yde, you and other interested parties should take Tony's advice1 and sign up for the mix CD chain here. Then you could get, eventually, a copy of this mix CD, which will totally mess your head up in "perpetual movement."

1"Every action of ours is passed on to others according to its value..." - A Gramsci

• szarka a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 10 mars 2006, 19h55m
    Three? I have to pick *three*? ;)

It so totally depends. Today I'm gonna say Bill Mallonee/Vigilantes of Love, Count Basie, and Bruce Cockburn. Basie, because if I could only have one artist to dance to, he'd probably have to be it. The other two because their lyrics speak to me more than the thousands of other artists I listen to...

• Utilisateur
    • 10 mars 2006, 19h55m
    BTW, I found this group from through James Blood Ulmer connection. :)

• Utilisateur
    • 11 mars 2006, 18h10m

the only thing that stays the same is change...

Herbie Nichols

Optiganally Yours

Leo Brouwer

- Vladimir Nabokov
    • raw_u a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 mars 2006, 10h31m
    ummm. this is difficult.

I'll choose three artists I always go back to after all these years, for various reasons, partially a mystery even to myself. They would be Velvet Underground, Astrud Gilberto and probably Fela Kuti. Even though there are long periods in between I don't listen to them at all.

• Utilisateur
    • 12 mars 2006, 19h41m
    I can relate, Raw U. I like all three of those artists, too. (And I got to see Fela live once--in my hometown, of all places, which has a cool show about once a decade.) But I will go months without listening to them sometimes, busy with the new stuff I'm into...

• Utilisateur
    • 12 mars 2006, 19h44m
    BTW, speaking of Gilberto, and bossa nova generally, I highly recommend the film Next Stop Wonderland, which is a romantic comedy with a great soundtrack... One of my favorite movies.

• Next Stop Wonderland

Soundtrack link here. That Wonderland movie, how can you call it a comedy? It's the second most depressing movie ever made! Hope Davis is my personal queen of misery; every movie she films makes me want to run crying for the hills. Did you see Secret Lives of Dentists? Same deal!

• JICAMARCA a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 mars 2006, 18h14m
    My favourite are:

Laghonia
    Cementerio Club
    Libido

• Utilisateur
    • 15 mars 2006, 6h25m

Re: Next Stop Wonderland

Quoth talking_animal:
    That Wonderland movie, how can you call it a comedy? It's the second most depressing movie ever made!

Actually, "romantic comedy" was the generic description on the box or something. It does have parts that fit that description quite well (e.g. the part in the bar where she talks to the different guys), but, yeah, I agree, "comedy" doesn't really capture it.

But, "depressing"? It's certainly sad in a wistful sort of way, but ultimately I think it's quite hopeful.

Maybe there should be a new movie genre called "bossa nova"? I'd like that.

• Utilisateur
    • 15 mars 2006, 18h17m

Today, the flying fickle finger of fate points to:

5uu's

Jack Nitzsche

Bruno Maderna

- Vladimir Nabokov
    • uporo a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 16 mars 2006, 6h10m
    Nino Rota
    Astor Piazzolla
    Rob Hubbard (composed for commodore 64 games)

• New day, new list!!

• wolsno a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 17 mars 2006, 8h27m

Re: New day, new list!!

Quoth talking_animal:
    Tshala Muana
    John Zorn's covers of Ennio Morricone and
    David Murray

For the next few days, what Talking-Animal says. And then maybe, next week, start with a big blast of Beethoven, or James Newton, or that neo-punk band I saw the other night...

---------------
    "Don't keep playing the bloody thing over and over, boy! You'll wear out the grooves!"
    Dad, 1963.

----------------

• Utilisateur
    • 24 mars 2006, 2h43m

Re: New day, new list!!

Quoth talking_animal:
    John Zorn's covers of Ennio Morricone

Yeah! That was my first John Zorn album--probably read a review in Downbeat or Spin or something when it came out--and everything he's done since has paled in comparison. Dang, I gotta rip that one!

(Well, OK, I did like the first Naked City CD a lot, too.)

• That was so last week...

Delta 5
    James Brown
    Alèmayèhu Eshèté

For more details and samples for a limited time only browse to my blog

• Utilisateur
    • 1 avr. 2006, 6h36m

The 3 Top Deities In My Personal Pantheon, This Week, Are...

- Vladimir Nabokov
    Modifié par ydebru le 3 avr. 2006, 2h50m
  • Golly, Gubbelicious, no fair! Three artists *never* played on last!

• Utilisateur
    • 1 avr. 2006, 17h47m

Oh, yes, they have, my dear friend...

1. 'Scared Trip'2:14Electronica/DanceDoris Hays Barry 7's Connectors 3/28/06 3:26 AM
    2. 'Heystone Capers 2'1:15UnclassifiableEric Peters Electronic Toys - A Retrospective of 70's Synthesizer Music3/31/06 7:51 PM
    3. 'Mechanical Movement'2:35UnclassifiableEric Peters Electronic Toys - A Retrospective of 70's Synthesizer Music3/31/06 8:02 PM
    4. 'Electro Springs'0:36Easy ListeningEric Peters Further Nuggets 3/28/06 12:10 AM
    5. 'Electronic Rhythm'2:28Electronica/DanceEric Peters Barry 7's Connectors 3/23/06 4:29 AM
    6. Polyphème4:23UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:14 PM
    7. 'Electrocution'2:45UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:38 PM
    8. 'Les cloches de la mort'2:34UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:25 PM
    Electronic effects engineer : Nino Nardini
    9. 'Marche au néant'2:14UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:16 PM
    10. 'Les envahisseurs' 3:08 UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:22 PM
    11. 'Knockin' bells'3:05UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:30 PM
    12. 'Usinage' 3:14UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:10 PM
    13. 'Estampeuse' 2:41 Unclassifiable Camille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:36 PM
    14. 'Ballet vaudou'2:19UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:41 PM
    15. 'Funny seven' 3:06 Unclassifiable Camille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:33 PM
    16. 'Magic tampani'3:09UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:19 PM
    17. 'Le cycle infernal' 1:38 UnclassifiableCamille Sauvage 7 drums concerto 3/31/06 12:27 PM

Above is the evidence, O talking animal.

- Vladimir Nabokov
  • I only say that because when I tried to click on the artists' names nothing happened. I believe you, Gubbleplusgood.

• Utilisateur
    • 2 avr. 2006, 17h41m

I have those 3 names fitted up with the stinkin' code...

but we don't need no stinkin' code, nor badges, n'est-ce pas?

i suppose that's what happens when you are brilliant, yet obscure. (the artistes, not moi)

- Vladimir Nabokov
  • Re: The 3 Top Deities In My Personal Pantheon, This Week, Are...

Quoth ydebru:

[*artist] Camille Sauvage [*/artist]

[*artist] Eric Peters [*/artist]

[*artist] Doris Hays [*/artist]

It was the spaces between the brackets and the artist names that kept it from working for me.

Try this instead:
    [*artist]Camille Sauvage[*/artist]
    [*artist]Eric Peters[*/artist]
    [*artist]Doris Hays[*/artist]
    Camille Sauvage
    Eric Peters
    Doris Hays

• Utilisateur
    • 3 avr. 2006, 2h50m

duhhhh...

i stand edified & corrected.

- Vladimir Nabokov
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.