Chart Calculator

• tj44 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 mai 2010, 0h19m

Chart Calculator

Hi all,

In the stats ideas thread thecameronyoung suggested a tool for plotting combined charts of all of your friends.

I am now pleased to open the doors to my new Chart Calculator which can do this and more. It can also

But better than that, it can also perform arbitrary algebraic calculations on user charts. some examples are linked here. Please share any interesting charts you can make with this....

Modifié par tj44 le 29 juin 2010, 7h22m
    • Utilisateur
    • 14 mai 2010, 0h50m
    A combined chart of all of my friends:
    http://www.exitahead.co.uk/chart/deathstardroid+defchild+goofy_sad+sonofradiator+vanya_void+Vjunkie

What artists do the current top three listeners of Elvis, and the top three listeners of Leftfield have in common? http://www.exitahead.co.uk/chart/(harlotsbeast+anemIc333+winono)*(hyder1+dekube+termoska)

• Bloopy a dit :...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 27 mai 2010, 3h21m
    That's really cool! I'd prefer if it could look at overall top artists rather than just the last 3 months.

Artists I share with at least one friend

On my chart but not theirs

Artists my sister shares with my friends but not me

Artists I share with my overseas friends but not my local friends

Idea: you could add an exclusive-or operator. For example, the artists my top neighbour and I don't share: (nodicenate-Bloopy)+(Bloopy-nodicenate). It would be much simpler to write with an operator, eg. nodicenate@Bloopy

Also, it would be great if you could specify the minimum and maximum number of users who must have the artist. It would be like your gallery example, except without the complicated 4-part combination statement. Instead you give it the basic combined chart and add >=3 as a requirement on the number of users who have each artist.

• Utilisateur
    • 27 mai 2010, 19h24m
    Bloopy said:
    That's really cool! I'd prefer if it could look at overall top artists rather than just the last 3 months.
    It would be good to be able to refer to any chart, but what should it look like? What about tj44.o-tj44.6m to calculate a chart of artists I havent listened to in the last 6 months?

Also, it would be great if you could specify the minimum and maximum number of users who must have the artist.
    That idea encompasses your xor request too; you could have a combined chart with <=1 listener.

• Forum Moderator
    • 27 mai 2010, 21h58m
    tj44 said:
    It would be good to be able to refer to any chart, but what should it look like? What about tj44.o-tj44.6m to calculate a chart of artists I havent listened to in the last 6 months?
    That'd be good. There are some usernames with dots in their name who already break your script (example), even though Last.fm doesn't allow dots any more. The chances of someone having a username ending in .o or .6m must be slim though!

tj44 said:
    That idea encompasses your xor request too; you could have a combined chart with <=1 listener.
    That'd only work if you xor things with a fixed number of listeners, but maybe nobody would want to get much more complicated than that.

• Utilisateur
    • 29 mai 2010, 21h02m
    Calculations can now use 7 day, 3 month, 6 month, annual, and overall charts!

Bloopy, here are the artists you have not listened to in the last three months.

• Forum Moderator
    • 2 juin 2010, 3h54m
    Nice work! By the way, the 2nd link in your original post is wrong.

Comprehensive search for artists in common

Artists I've stayed with over time

• exdeathbr a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 jui. 2010, 22h20m
    Idea:
    You should use your tool to do some sort of Neighbours tool or profile similarity.

How this would work??
    You get the plays from 2 users on the last 3 months..

Lets imagine the first user had those plays only:
    Artist A - Song 2: 40 plays
    and
    Artist A - Song 7: 50 plays

And the second user had:
    Artist A - Song 2: 25 plays

Artist X - Song 100: 10 plays.

After you get those plays you would merge them:
    How merge them??
    If some user share plays with a another user, you merge the similar plays.
    Both users share 25 plays on the song Artist A - Song 2, so you would merge the same amount of plays.

And the list would become:
    Artist A - Song 2: 25 plays (the merged plays from each user, the user 1 and user 2 have 25 plays on Artist A - Song 2)
    Artist A - Song 2: 15 plays (the plays from the first user that the second dont have, the user 1 has 15 plays that the user 2 dont have on the Artist A - Song 2 [40 - 25 = 15])
    Artist A - Song 7: 50 plays
    Artist X - Song 100: 10 plays.

Now, you get the how much % the merged plays are in the total number of plays.
    There are 100 plays (25 + 15 + 50 + 10) and those users share 25 plays.

So 25 plays out of 100 plays, is 25%.

The Neighbours score or profile similarity of those users would be 25% in the case.

If its too hard to understand, just ask.

Modifié par exdeathbr le 4 août 2010, 13h52m
    • Forum Moderator
    • 24 jui. 2010, 3h10m
    ^In a way, what you're suggesting is for the script to have an option to look at track charts rather than just artist charts.

• Utilisateur
    • 24 jui. 2010, 15h12m
    Bloopy said:
    ^In a way, what you're suggesting is for the script to have an option to look at track charts rather than just artist charts.

The script would need to have be able to look at track charts to make the system that I said work

Modifié par exdeathbr le 10 août 2010, 0h12m
    • Utilisateur
    • 4 août 2010, 7h44m
    There is a problem calculating your "profile similarity". While the lastfm user charts web pages show full charts, the lastfm API only provides the top 50. Thats why the chart calculator only uses artists charts.

If lastfm ever extend the data available then I will be sure to announce it here.

• Utilisateur
    • 4 août 2010, 13h26m
    tj44 maybe you could get data from here http://www.last.fm/user/exdeathbr/library/recent and continue to get the songs, until you get the first song listened by the user in the last 3 months.
    Then you make your own chart and continue the calculation??

The last.fm api let you do that?

• Utilisateur
    • 9 août 2010, 23h20m
    Its possible, and you could certainly build a desktop app which worked that way. But it is not viable for a web-based solution to load an arbitrary number of pages from last.fm when calculating a single page on my server. Bandwidth isnt that cheap.

• Utilisateur
    • 8 sept. 2010, 16h06m
    Music my neighbours have discovered recently

For my six nearest neighbours, this finds the artists which are on their three month chart but not on their annual chart.

• not working anymore brah

• Utilisateur
    • 2 mai 2012, 16h41m
    Ungodly_Freak said:
    not working anymore brah

Ive had some downtime, and moved web hosts a couple of times. Its definitely working at the moment, and if you find it not working then there is every change it is just a temporary blip.

• timelezz a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 22 sept. 2012, 21h03m

Song chart

I am looking for a combined song chart. Artist chart is less interesting to me.

Tip of the Week :
    • Vospi a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 31 déc. 2012, 0h48m
    once again, it's not working...

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.