How did you get into Madness?

• How did you get into Madness?

So, come on, how did you first get into Madness?
    I'm lucky to have 2 older brothers, so naturally their musical tastes rubbed off onto me. They were big fans of ska and were around when the whole two-tone thing kicked off (again) in the late 70s. I was brought up in a house where ska was always played, and Madness made its way into my musical collection that way. :) Seen them live a few times, love everything they have ever put down on record, it's all great stuff.
    Madness to me are a British musical tradition! And only when they change our national anthem to 'One Step Beyond', will I finally be happy. ;)

• I grew up hearing them on the radio etc My sisters boyfriend was a fan too and had Divine Madness. Soon after that I picked up every album loving each and every one in a different way.

• AnnaHello a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 21 juin 2007, 19h51m

I don't quite remember... If I'm not wrong, I fell in love in one of their funny videos and then started to listen to them.

• Nicky_uk a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 jui. 2007, 15h59m

Good question

I got into Madness from when a couple of lads older than me (who I fancied) were into Madness/Jam/Special/The Beat/Bad Manners etc, so I ended up getting into it too.

I saw Madness at the BIC in Bournemouth last Dec (06), they were fantastic!!

• Modifié par privatehell le 23 jui. 2007, 23h07m
  • Nicky_uk said:
    I got into Madness from when a couple of lads older than me (who I fancied) were into Madness/Jam/Special/The Beat/Bad Manners etc, so I ended up getting into it too.

I saw Madness at the BIC in Bournemouth last Dec (06), they were fantastic!!

Excellent! :) I saw them in December too, they were on top form! Still waiting on their new album, which I hope they will tour! Gives us all a chance to see them live again :)

• BAFfan a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 23 avr. 2008, 12h41m
    My Dad got me into them

• I was born in 1980. When I was about two, my aunt bought me a toy saxophone. The only band with a sax player my parents could think of was Madness, so they bought some records and even the Complete Madness VHS.

(It helped that my Dad really got into them as well.)

I've never looked back!

Listen to my band on
    Downloads (set your own price):
    • [Utilisateur supprimé] a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 juin 2008, 13h48m
    I first saw them on the BBC comedy series "The Young Ones" when I was about 9 years old. They made a guest appearance playing "House of Fun" in one episode, and I thought they were fantastic. Luckily my Dad had a copy of "Divine Madness" lying around, so I started listening to it a bit.

I revisted them when I was 14-15 (about 4 years ago) and had become interested in ska. It was then that I really got hooked. Even though I'm of the wrong generation, they remind me of childhood :)

• Bartles a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 30 juin 2008, 21h54m
    Was born a good decade after they first started making waves, so I wasn't lucky enough to get to know them when they were the most active. But I got into ska a couple of years ago, namely The Specials, but kept shying away from giving Madness a listen (I assumed their only good song was "Our House"). But I finally gave One Step Beyond a listen, and from the very first crunchy note of Kix's saxophone on the opening track, I knew that this album was going to be fantastic. It remains to this day my favorite of all time.

• mmerri_ a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 jui. 2008, 20h18m
    I saw Lovestruck video on the MTV when Wonderful was released, but didn't remember the name of the group. I tried to look for it at Youtube and got lucky last fall.

I also heard Colgate ad, but understood that it was Madness song only listening to "Our House".

There's a rumor that they come to Moscow this December, that will be great if they do.

• I didn't really know about Madness until I was 17, although every now and then I'd hear Our House on the Radio and liked it a lot without knowing it was by them. I'm a big comedy fan and I first saw Madness perform House of Fun and Our House in the Young Ones! I was curious about these boys, looked up the rest of the music & loved everything by them! They're now my favourite band, although my friends and family aren't into them. I can't wait till they release their new album!

• LordNinian a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 21 août 2008, 14h36m
    always been in to madness from a young age, Think my fathers music tastes rub off on me as i listen to all the things he did when he was young.

I was obviously born about 15 years too late

• royboy66 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 6 sept. 2008, 13h11m
    im 42 now and was well into ska in the mid 70s loved madness all my musical life madness forever,ska 2 tone reggae

• That's excellent, 'most' of us here were too young to live through the 2tone explosion of 1979. Madness and The Specials in particular have definately stood the test of time, musically and from a fans perspective. :)

royboy66 said:
    im 42 now and was well into ska in the mid 70s loved madness all my musical life madness forever,ska 2 tone reggae

• Utilisateur
    • 22 sept. 2008, 23h16m
    I grew up watching The Young Ones pretty much all the time. House Of Fun always were a great song, and about once every year, when going through all the Young Ones episodes, I'd ask my dad, who it was that was playing. Over and over again, He'd explain to me, that it was this band called Madness, and that he had quite a few of their albums on LP, if I liked them that much. I used to be absolutely terrible at remembering band names and stuff like that, even my own favourites, my parents had to repeat to me. But one day I got fed up, and picked those albums up, right after my dad had told me once again about this.. Madness band. So that I wouldn't forget again. Must've been a good three years ago. The rest is history, getting into Madness changed everything for me. I never knew music like that :) So glad I do now, never been more into a band than Madness!

• Qebehsenuf a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 24 jan. 2009, 17h45m
    Same here. I was watching the Young Ones about 2 years ago and I got interested in their 2 performances on the show. About a week later I purchased 4 LP and I was hooked instantly :)

"Inside every cynical person, there's a disappointed idealist."
    Interested in the Red Army Choir? Join the The Red Army Choir group.
    Enjoy smoking? Join the We Smoke group.
    For all you fans of the great Humphrey Bogart, join the Humphrey Bogart group.
    • laus1810 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 août 2009, 18h40m
    Yes...I am going to give this dead discussion a lease of life...

My parents love Madness...I pretty much grew up listening to them and The Specials so its no suprise we went to Madstock in July really!

• Well, my ex used to listen to some ska about 1.5 yr ago. He had a long ska "period" was getting on my nerves really hard and I started to hate the whole ska thing (except Madness) . But lately I´ve been bored with the music I used to listen to and was searching for something new and somehow Madness came into my mind so I found best of album and immediately fell in love with song "Baggy trousers"...and nowadays I´m completely mad about Madness. And I even started to like ska (especially Desmond Dekker, The Specials and Mr Review) but I have to say that I still hate Bad Manners

Heavy seas of love.
    Radiance is in you.
    As above so below.
    On the heavy seas of love.
  • I got into them via the Young Ones too. My brother and I thought they were really awesome. :) After buying their music I got completely hooked. Now, several years later I'm a complete and utter Madness fan. :D

♫ under the radar, I'm reaching for the sky
    • MrDury a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 nov. 2009, 12h04m

Thanks to my Uncle...

...who has greatly influenced me in my musictaste and i remember he gave me his LP-version of One Step Beyond when in turned 10 years old or so and that was a big mistake cause he´ll never get it back!
    The next time i got in contact with Madness was when their videos was shown several times at different TV-programs and TV-shows in the mid-eighties - of course MTV but also "Baggen" - a swedish copy of "The Tube" and when you saw the lads acting out in such classics as "Shut up", "Embarresment" and so on you coulnd´t let go of them - and of course the catchy vivid music with Lees and Chas support with the brass caught me and left me defenseless and since that day i´ll never stop loving, listening & supporting Madness - The Magnificent Seven will ride forever!

• stevejd78 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 27 déc. 2009, 22h31m
    An older brother who played a lot of ska music in the 80s (and then went on to play sax in ska groups), got me heavily into Madness when I was growing up. My love of them was reignited with The Dangermen Sessions, and The Liberty of Norton Folgate is an excellent album. Will be seeing them live for the third time this year on New Year's Eve!

• Utilisateur
    • 30 sept. 2010, 20h41m

thanks to YOUNG ONES

for Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson and MADNESS! ...............S01E03

• willsking a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 mars 2011, 21h58m

used to be a skinhead in 79 and heard the prince on the radio and went mad about it

• deadgaz a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 9 mars 2013, 22h04m
    I got into Madness back in 1979 me mates would go dance's dressed as madness

Gary Browne (Facebook page)
Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.