Forum » Development Discussion

Combo.fm: Combined Last.fm radio stations

• tburny a dit :...
    • Forum Moderator
    • 29 mars 2011, 1h34m
    Short update:
    The logo now got a nice beta sticker and some more color (okay still looks quick&dirty).
    Next things to come are:
    Shout stations to other users (kind of station recommendation feature) and a proper login form. Both are done as proof of concept and now are being implemented into the real page.

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    P.S.: Do not click here
    throw new PokemonException(); //Gotta catch 'em all
    My forum post reflects my personal opinion :)
    • akrde a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 mars 2011, 7h51m
    I just started this Combo.fm station:

artists similar to John Coltrane

and

tag female vocalists

Results:

http://www.last.fm/music/Sarah+McLachlan/_/Mary
    http://www.last.fm/music/India.Arie/_/Wonderful
    http://www.last.fm/music/Azure+Ray/_/Rest+Your+Eyes

Don't see any connections to John Coltrane for these tracks.

What's wrong?

• Forum Moderator
    • 29 mars 2011, 11h08m
    I can only guess, but almost all artists have a lot of similar artists.
    Your query means "all artists/tracks similar to John Coltrane which have the tag female vocalists". I will write some more documentation on it soon :)

Combo.fm: Combine your favourite radio stations! | My Blog | scala-lastfmapi | Cache2k - A high performance Java in-memory cache
    • akrde a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 29 mars 2011, 12h20m
    tburny said:
    I can only guess, but almost all artists have a lot of similar artists.
    Your query means "all artists/tracks similar to John Coltrane which have the tag female vocalists". I will write some more documentation on it soon :)

But Azure Ray's "Rest Your Eyes" for example is an indie folk track and has nothing to do with Jazz or John Coltrane and his similar artists.

So could this perhaps be a bug in the new RQL system? If yes, who should know about it?

• Forum Moderator
    • 30 mars 2011, 9h27m
    I will forward that for further investigations :) That songe definitely got "female vocalists" as a top top

• maz35 a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 1 avr. 2011, 9h28m
    I seem to have problems with any "and" stations. That condition seems to be ignored. For example say filtering my library station by the tag rock, it seems like its just playing the general rock station(unlike what happens when I use the official /tag/rock url introduced recently).

For example playing it right now it gave me Boston, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, non of these are in my library and so should not play in that combination.

Edit: I also tried just tags rock AND female vocalists and it played Arctic monkeys and Joe cocker among other male singers...it was biased slightly to female vocal so acted like an OR station really.

• Forum Moderator
    • 1 avr. 2011, 11h28m
    RQL stations are still in testing phase, so it might result in unexpected behaviour.

EDIT:
    Still this time it was a bug in Combo.fm which should be fixed now. Plus I added some nice buttons

• Utilisateur
    • 2 avr. 2011, 10h22m
    It still isn't working for me unfortunately, the AND condition still acts like an OR. Same problem with NOT. My library NOT female vocalists gave me Katy Perry among others who aren't in my library and are female.

Maybe its a bug in RQL stations like you say.

• snyde1 a dit :...
    • Abonné
    • 2 avr. 2011, 17h33m
    @Tobias - without Norman, is the RQL still actively being developed?

@maz35 - Did you try decoding the RQL URL to see if it was actually what you thought it was? tool for decoding base64, or post the URL.

(When I did this with a station that I thought used an "and", it was actually an "or".)

Improve your view of Last.fm - add some User Scripts.
    Did I hear that right? Mondegreens - for the misheard word. Like Odds? Can't get better than Even Odds!

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 avr. 2011, 11h57m
    Thanks for the link snyde, it confirms what I thought. I'm only getting URLs from the website with "or" in them despite selecting "and" or "not". I tried with both firefox and chrome and had the same result.

• Forum Moderator
    • 3 avr. 2011, 13h46m
    hm then the upload did not work properly

• Forum Moderator
    • 3 avr. 2011, 17h41m
    Should be really fixed now, tested in Chrome and Firefox.
    You might want to clean your browser cache (Extras-> Clear recent history for firefox).

• Utilisateur
    • 3 avr. 2011, 18h28m
    Yep it seems to work correctly now :)

• rwitte a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 3 avr. 2011, 23h43m
    tracking and enjoyimg :)

• Don't know if I should plug this in here, but... don't know where else to throw it.

The RQL parser appears to trunc the last condition for me. Thus, if I submit the following query, I end up w/ nothin' but "blues" from my lib:

(library:JustSomeOldJoe) and (tag:"blues" or tag:"jazz")

If I append another tag condition, e.g. "soul" (like below), then I'll get both the "blues" and "jazz" content.

(library:JustSomeOldJoe) and (tag:"blues" or tag:"jazz" or tag:"soul")

Appending another tag condition will add the "soul" content. In other words, the last tag is always trunc'd.

• Forum Moderator
    • 11 avr. 2011, 7h44m
    Did you create that one by hand?

• tburny said:
    Did you create that one by hand?
    Sorry... definitely should have been clearer about that.

Yes. Query created & encoded locally, then decoded to confirm it was as expected. I don't believe you can accomplish that type of paren grouping in your web tool, can you (regardless, pretty cool tool, tb!)?

• Forum Moderator
    • 11 avr. 2011, 12h59m
    No, subqueries with parenthesis aren't supported yet by Combo.fm, but nevertheless I use it often, too :)
    Got about 10-20 visitors a day, which is maybe not much, but a good point to start from :)

edit: Both stations seem to work fine :)

• Sagehorn a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 12 avr. 2011, 17h53m
    in my case it works very well (as far as i can see..)
    good job, dude!

• ottosox a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 avr. 2011, 4h48m
    Just wondering...
    I quite often get stuff that I have specifically excluded. For example when listening to "ambient and space music and drone not noise not dark ambient", I got several artists tagged both noise and dark ambient. Any reason for this/way to fix it?

• Forum Moderator
    • 15 avr. 2011, 10h34m
    The filter works at track level, not at artist level :) So a track from an artist tagged as dark ambient would play if it isn't tagged as dark ambient itself

• Maddieman a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 avr. 2011, 10h53m
    tburny, does the friends radio option still play my friends' "friends radio"?

The only thing I think is missing and would love to see is a similar box that lets you play/exclude the personal libraries of people.

So you can create strings like: ?rql friends:Maddieman not evilrix

• Forum Moderator
    • 15 avr. 2011, 11h16m
    Guess I can do that :)

• Joule a dit :...
    • Utilisateur
    • 15 avr. 2011, 17h10m
    This is brilliant - I wish I'd checked this part of the forum sooner! :)

• Forum Moderator
    • 15 avr. 2011, 17h49m
    I created a group called Combo.fm. Join it to be notified about major changes via PM :)

Les utilisateurs anonymes ne peuvent pas poster de messages. Merci de vous connecter ou de créer un compte pour pouvoir intervenir dans les forums.